Author Topic: PETA Demands Bar Change Its Name Because ‘Ye Olde Fighting Cocks’ Is Offensive t  (Read 603 times)

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!

PETA Demands Bar Change Its Name Because ‘Ye Olde Fighting Cocks’ Is Offensive to Chickens
 :lol1: :hahaha:
PETA wants “Ye Olde Clever Cocks” instead. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent a letter to the oldest bar in Britain on Monday demanding that it change its historic name because “Ye Olde Fighting Cocks” is offensive to chickens. PETA director Mimi Bekhechi said the name should be changed to “Ye Olde Clever Cocks” because that would “celebrate chickens as the intelligent, sensitive and social animals they are,” according to an article in the Mirror. The pub is Britain’s oldest, according to Guinness World Records, and has had the name since 1872.

According to PETA, however, history just doesn’t matter when it comes to something this serious.   “We understand that the pub has long been called Ye Olde Fighting Cocks and that there may be some resistance to making a name change, but just as many pubs with names tied to slavery changed their names to match modern sensibilities, so it’s high time for The Cocks to change,” the group’s special-projects manager Dawn Carr said in a letter, according to the Herts Advertiser.

(Yes — “slavery.”) Carr added that the name change would “encourage people to rethink the way that we treat chickens and grant these birds the respect and kindness that they deserve.”

Despite all of these super-compelling arguments, however, the local newspaper St Albans & Harpenden Review is reporting that the pub has no plans to change its name.  “We have a responsibility to preserve the history of this building,” landlord Christo Tofalli said. “We celebrate the fact that cock fighting was banned in the 1800s, but we won’t consider changing our name.” “We are animal lovers here and are one of the few pubs left that welcomes dogs,” he continued. “And we usually support animal welfare organizations and a lot of the great work they do.”

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/418658/peta-demands-bar-change-its-name-because-ye-olde-fighting-cocks-offensive-chickens

:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: PETA Demands Bar Change Its
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 07:01:12 PM »
when it comes to something this serious.
The US is a bit behind the rest of the western world as far as legislation protecting animals. Maybe they've run of serious things in Great Brittan and would be better to pick up shop and move those headquarters elsewhere. PETA could find something better to do.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: PETA Demands Bar Change Its Name
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 07:47:56 PM »
They could change the name to Ye Old Wrinkled Cock.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Lord of the Ales

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Will work for beer
    • Last.fm thingy
PETA have no influence in the UK - they're a fucking joke. No danger of that pub, or any of the others called The Fighting Cock or variants, changing their name to please meddlesome idiots who think calling fish 'sea kittens' might stop people wanting to eat them.  :wanker:
arsebiscuits!

Retired despot, landlord and shitstirrer :deadhorse:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Personally I think it's very upsetting. I will have to start a petition on change.org. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
PETA gets more and more extreme as the years go by.   ::)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 07:22:52 PM »
Personally I think it's very upsetting. I will have to start a petition on change.org. :P

Make your petntitions to name it YE Old Geriatric Cock.  :zoinks:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 07:23:52 PM »
This thread has the potential for so much absurdity!! :GA:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 07:25:15 PM »

Ye Old Decrepit Cock.  :zoinks:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 08:11:01 PM »
Ye OLd debilitated Cock. :zoinks:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 11:35:25 AM »

I know. :GA:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
A centuries old name is just that......a centuries old name and a part of history that only fanatical fools would get upset about!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
true, but there are funnier angles.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Truly bent fighting cocks?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
Truly bent fighting cocks?

Stupid Cocks Fighting Blindly :M

- Albert Einstein