Educational

Author Topic: The scourge of helicopter parenting.  (Read 882 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: The scourge of helicopter parenting.
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 12:06:50 AM »
The swing of the pendulum is going the other way again. More and more "natural playgrounds" with signs telling parents that their kids will get dirty, and that there will be scratches and abrasions. If need be, there is a first aid kit around.
Quite the hype lately, in places that have little space for kids to find places like that "in the wild".

Don't think in my village anyone will be worried about kids playing in woods unsupervised. Most people will tell a toddler to go home when found near open water though, or on a busy traffic road.
There is overprotection, and there is sensible precaution.

They have signs like that? :o

OMG, your kids may get dirty while playing. Stop it, stop it now! :GA:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 03:40:26 AM »
I remember playing down at the creek where there was heaps of clay and tadpoles. We would spend all day there without my mum being able to contact us. I also remember playgrounds where you would burn yourself on the metal on the slide and monkey bars. There were no soft landings either, just black sand.

My childhood was the same way. All kids should play in the woods.

Agreed. Without their mobile phones and whatnot.

Indeed, a kid needs the experience of getting trapped in mud that deep that they have to dig themselves out, or have their friend going home for help because of it.

(Both my kids as I played in very soggy woods, though where my kids played barely deserves the name wood. Still big enough to get trapped in mud, unseen by people walking their dog though)
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 03:44:51 AM »
The swing of the pendulum is going the other way again. More and more "natural playgrounds" with signs telling parents that their kids will get dirty, and that there will be scratches and abrasions. If need be, there is a first aid kit around.
Quite the hype lately, in places that have little space for kids to find places like that "in the wild".

Don't think in my village anyone will be worried about kids playing in woods unsupervised. Most people will tell a toddler to go home when found near open water though, or on a busy traffic road.

Not "may get dirty" but, "Will get dirty, will get hurt". It is a promise, and it draws many people to the city playground, Parents with toddlers, and kids on their own. Villages don't need stuff like that. Kids can do it without signs promising them that. And no one bats an eye. From age 6 to 8 on most kids go to school on their own too, without helmet, on their bikes. In cities that is often a bit later, because of shitloads of traffic, but from age 10 on, barely a kid will go to school supervised by an adult.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 05:17:39 PM »
There comes a time when you get ridiculed if Mommy still walks you to school.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 02:48:49 AM »

Not "may get dirty" but, "Will get dirty, will get hurt". It is a promise, and it draws many people to the city playground, Parents with toddlers, and kids on their own. Villages don't need stuff like that. Kids can do it without signs promising them that. And no one bats an eye. From age 6 to 8 on most kids go to school on their own too, without helmet, on their bikes. In cities that is often a bit later, because of shitloads of traffic, but from age 10 on, barely a kid will go to school supervised by an adult.

Took us forever to teach the oldest how to do this, but then, he is a spazz.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 02:49:45 AM »
There comes a time when you get ridiculed if Mommy still walks you to school.

Oh yes. I remember getting strict instructions from my daughter to stay out of sight if I had to drop her off at school.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 09:48:14 AM »

Took us forever to teach the oldest how to do this, but then, he is a spazz.

My spazzy kid decided to walk to school. No way she'd go by bike. But she did go on her own.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2015, 01:18:09 AM »
I wish mine had. He's better at it now, but then he is 20.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2015, 05:17:13 AM »
Plenty of times my kid wants me to come with her, to certain stuff. Not school though. She's 17, lot of growing still to do, but also lots of things achieved.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2015, 09:01:10 AM »
My yard backed up to school property when I was little so I walked since kindergarten my mom went with me the first week but that was it when I moved to Florida in the 6th grade I walked 2 miles though.  My kids walked from when the school would let them leave without someone meeting them which I think was 2nd grade but a lot of times we dropped them off or picked them up because it was easier.  If you coddle and protect them from everything and they will never learn anything.   
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2015, 09:28:05 AM »
Sometimes around here they aren't allowed to let them off the bus unless someone is standing there waiting for them. I can understand that if they are in kindergarten or in the middle of nowhere, but when you're 3 houses down from the bus stop in the middle of a patch with 4 other parents around and the kid is 9 yrs old?

Found this out after I got really sick one year and couldn't make it up to the bus stop, all the time I'm watching thru the side window for my kid to get off...luckily I was friends with the driver and my son told him what happened...and he dropped him off in front of the house until I got better, otherwise they would have taken him back to the school.

I could see the bus stop from the house...WTF.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2015, 01:06:16 PM »
Most people live at short distance from the village schools here. Kids attending school at the other side of the main traffic road cutting our village in two often are accompanied for crossing that road. Very busy, around that time. The rest they do themselves. On the way back it is less busy, so then most kids go on their own from the moment they have proven themselves to be capable of watching out properly.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 11:24:34 PM »
If you coddle and protect them from everything and they will never learn anything.   

QFT

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 10:49:24 AM »
If you coddle and protect them from everything and they will never learn anything.   

QFT

They will never leave either :zombiefuck:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2015, 02:35:54 AM »

QFT

They will never leave either :zombiefuck:

QFT squared.

- Albert Einstein