Author Topic: Moving to Montreal  (Read 1041 times)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Moving to Montreal
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 06:37:36 PM »
Is it a friendly neighbourhood, on first appearances?
Not sure about friendly. No welcome wagon so far. It's a changing neighborhood so maybe people here are like they are in the States - just minding their own business and hoping that the brown guy is not a bad element.

Pyraxis caught some guys making a video across the street so maybe the neighborhood looks worse than it is. There are a lot of condos, many with indoor parking. A lot of people speak English and a good number look like college students. I haven't been out much - I have something like five times the regular Asperger's mess to get through and make manageable.

I am terrible at people, too. In five years in Florida I met no one.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 11:34:07 PM »
:-\

Whereabouts do you live?
The closest neighborhood is Westmount. We live south of that.

:thumbup:

It's a shame they moved the conference away from Montréal. I'd love to visit again.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 07:36:10 AM »
:-\

Whereabouts do you live?
The closest neighborhood is Westmount. We live south of that.

:thumbup:

It's a shame they moved the conference away from Montréal. I'd love to visit again.

yes, so far i'm liking it a lot. it's snowing again today. and i've lost 5 pounds of southern sloth fat in two weeks just by being here. looking forward to being able to go biking without frying to a crisp in the first quarter mile.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 12:22:41 AM »
Have you climbed up Mt Royal yet? It's well worth doing.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 12:54:44 PM »
I haven't yet, but I might get Pyraxis to do it. I am anemic so it might not be a good idea.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 11:14:27 PM »
I haven't yet, but I might get Pyraxis to do it. I am anemic so it might not be a good idea.

Well, be careful if you do. Take your time.

- Albert Einstein

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 01:51:37 AM »
I got a little way up today as the clinic I'm trying to get into is on the mountain. It was a long walk up in the rain but now I am looking forward to climbing to the top.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 06:36:28 PM »
I like the city, but, the traffic was a tad hellish for us.  Fortunately, we have friends who know their way around.  Montreal airport is nicely located if you go exploring out to the west.  Nice flights to Edmonton or Calgary.  I am always amazed at the flatness of the countryside punctuated by the occasional Mount sticking out of the plains. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 10:03:19 PM »
When I saw the topic I thought "Oh no, we won't see them anymore!", and then I remembered they have internet in Montreal.

:P Hope you enjoy Canada!
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 10:21:30 AM »
I like the city, but, the traffic was a tad hellish for us.  Fortunately, we have friends who know their way around.  Montreal airport is nicely located if you go exploring out to the west.  Nice flights to Edmonton or Calgary.  I am always amazed at the flatness of the countryside punctuated by the occasional Mount sticking out of the plains.
It's very good for me - I won't miss so much the great cloud formations from Florida (one of the very few good things).

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 10:55:13 AM »
Canada is odd for stores. Not a lot of chain stores besides Wal-Mart and Dollarama, which has nearly nothing for a dollar.
The difference is made up by the other stores selling what you'd want from the big stores. Found my humidity meter in the local drug store (Jean Couteau)/Walgreens's equivalent. Farmaprix is the CVS equivalent. The JC also had bento and things I wouldn't expect in a pharmacy store.
The Dollarama carries siracha sauce - a testament to the diversity. It's impossible to predict who will come out of a house in our neighborhood. In that respect it's much better than the U.S.

So I guess I should not have been surprised to find that the local health food store (that an anomaly in itself) is also an Asian/Arab grocery store - no meats, but everything else. I bought kombucha and aloe juice. And seaweed at a reasonable price. $2.79 in the U.S., 0.97CDN here. They have an incredible selection of spices, grains and herbs. The supplement selection is limited, but the tea selection is vast. It made spending $74 at the JC ($10 was taxes) hurt less.

French is still an issue but now that grading is done I should have an easier time with the lessons.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 04:43:49 PM »
:gopher:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 05:30:51 PM »
It's very good for me - I won't miss so much the great cloud formations from Florida (one of the very few good things).

No hurricanes up there.  Just cold and snow.  Montreal is far more egalitarian than Quebec.  I remember a gentleman from Montreal saying that the weather was 10 months of winter and 2 months of not very good skiing.   8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 01:24:52 PM »
 :lol1:

Funny, though. It's always been hot as hell when I've been there.

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »
:lol1:

Funny, though. It's always been hot as hell when I've been there.

Mid-continental or thereabouts,  summers can be broiling even in Montreal and vicinity.  It probably feels even more so, because you don't expect it to get that way.  Winter freeze your ass off, summer broil your ass off.   :voodoo: