Educational

Author Topic: Moving to Montreal  (Read 1024 times)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Moving to Montreal
« on: March 12, 2015, 04:29:10 AM »
We are on the auto train. It's a mixed experience but the best so faris not having to dive all night in cold rain after packing and cleaning and not enough sleep. Slept 7 hours - that's twicd as much as normal for me. Have to have a hotspot but it's woking fine. Dinner was steakor chicken and the only downer was the rude car attendant who wanted us to go to bedearly so he could. We told him 10 and hevopened our curtain with no warning at 9:30 asking if we still wanted 10.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: Moving to Montreal
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 05:11:12 AM »
Have a safe journey, the two of you.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 06:52:07 AM »
 :indeed:

I like Montreal. It's a nice place to be.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Hannah

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 11:33:11 PM »

I echo what the others have said...take care... :asthing:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 11:59:59 PM »

It will be a lot better than Florida. The people are more polite so far. Since almost everyone speaks English I don't think I'm going to have issues. French has Latin roots so I think I will pick it up easily, though I do intend to take a class.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 12:08:59 AM »
Thanks.

We got here safe with only a slight hitch at the border. I knew what to expect so I played innocent and they let us go within an hour. They look for you to be nervous and they look for eye contact.
The eye contact was the hardest but I did it - actual eye contact instead of looking at his nose. And when they wanted Pyraxis car title I told her where to look and she found it - that convinced them that we had a long term relationship. I have to apply for permanent resident as soon as possible and I got a piece of paper that's nicer even than their paper money, that says I can be here for 6 months. I have to have the application by then or I have to leave and come back.

We drove from Washington DC to Plattsburgh (last big town before the border) in 12 hours with 2 stops and two detours to look for gas.

The only casualty was Phil and Phil Jr, our houseplants, which we forgot to bring into the hotel in Plattsburgh. They froze, but we're hoping to save them as Pyraxis had the foresight to leave them in their soil. Both have roots that are fair to good.

We have two more days at the extended stay. Then we will be in our permanent digs next door to the railroad tracks. The trains aren't loud and they are an obsession of mine. The apartment walls and ceilings have old track ties built in, and the kitchen hooks include spikes. It looks like we might have internet in time for my Monday night seminars.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 04:59:21 AM »

It will be a lot better than Florida. The people are more polite so far. Since almost everyone speaks English I don't think I'm going to have issues. French has Latin roots so I think I will pick it up easily, though I do intend to take a class.

Yup, pretty much everyone speaks English. If you go into a store, you'll almost invariably be greeted with "Bonjour/hello" and, depending on your answer, the clerk will speak either English or French.

The few exceptions I came across include a McDonald's on St Catherine Street and a restaurant in Chinatown.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 09:19:38 PM »
The people are more polite so far.

They're just very sorry.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 11:54:10 PM »
What are they sorry about?

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 06:24:47 PM »

Everything, I guess.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 12:06:36 AM »

Everything, I guess.  :dunno:

They shouldn't be. They have a nice city.

- Albert Einstein

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 11:13:31 PM »

We seem to have moved to a neighborhood where a lot of people speak English, as opposed to downtown, where most of the people spoke French.

The cable company sent an automated message to let me know that the cable guy was set to arrive soon. It was all in French and the most I caught was that he was going to arrive within the next 11 minutes.

The clerk in the dollar store spoke very little english but we managed.

Yup, pretty much everyone speaks English. If you go into a store, you'll almost invariably be greeted with "Bonjour/hello" and, depending on your answer, the clerk will speak either English or French.

The few exceptions I came across include a McDonald's on St Catherine Street and a restaurant in Chinatown.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 12:02:17 AM »
:-\

Whereabouts do you live?

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 02:10:29 AM »
Is it a friendly neighbourhood, on first appearances?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 04:24:36 PM »
:-\

Whereabouts do you live?
The closest neighborhood is Westmount. We live south of that.

#Dancewithgarygopher