Author Topic: Drunk driver convicted after stitching his own chainsaw-wounded hand and driving  (Read 478 times)

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
Australian court rules against chainsaw drink-driver

An Australian learner driver who stitched his own chainsaw wound and drank gin for the pain before driving to hospital has lost a Supreme Court appeal against a drink-driving charge.

Quote from: BBC
Timothy Withrow, from Port Willunga near Adelaide, had a blood alcohol reading three times the legal limit.

He was challenging an earlier ruling by a lower court that refused to consider the matter "trifling".

By law traffic offences deemed trifling can result in a lighter punishment.

Withrow sustained a gaping wound to his hand while using a chainsaw at his residence in February last year.

He phoned two emergency departments, but was told that they were very busy and would not be able to treat him for more than 10 hours.

Withrow then used a large sewing needle and some fishing line to sew up the wound and washed it with gin to prevent infection. He also drank gin to help with the pain.

He later decided to drive to the hospital for treatment after not being able to contact his wife. He said he could not afford an ambulance.

He was pulled over by police after failing to stop at a sign, and charged with several driving offences as well as being issued an immediate licence disqualification. Though he had previously held a driving licence in the US he did not have a full Australian licence.

In court he had pleaded guilty but before sentencing asked for the matter to be dealt with as trifling.

But Justice Kevin Nicholson agreed with the earlier ruling that Withrow had had options other than driving himself, including calling an ambulance or taxi, or approaching a neighbour for help.

"He posed a clear danger not only to himself but to other road users," Justice Nicholson said, according to local media.

"I admire [his] courage and his tolerance to pain but I do not admire his judgment."

Withrow will be sentenced by a magistrate at a later date.

Source
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
He phoned two emergency departments, but was told that they were very busy and would not be able to treat him for more than 10 hours.
:zombiefuck:

Busy with what?   Chainsaw wounds are very dangerous and don't generally clean up that well even with going to the hospital

He said he could not afford an ambulance.

Doesn't Australia insurance cover any of the ambulance fees?  If this was in the US everyone would be screaming about how these things happen here because we don't have universal healthcare.   

As to the penalty I would think he could try and make the case for a kinda temporary insanity due to the pain and injury unless he had a history of driving drunk,  for a reduced sentence
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
:zombiefuck:

Busy with what?   Chainsaw wounds are very dangerous and don't generally clean up that well even with going to the hospital

Doesn't Australia insurance cover any of the ambulance fees?  If this was in the US everyone would be screaming about how these things happen here because we don't have universal healthcare.   

As to the penalty I would think he could try and make the case for a kinda temporary insanity due to the pain and injury unless he had a history of driving drunk,  for a reduced sentence

This is why people wear chainsaw gloves. :aff:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
I vote on temporary insanity due to the pain. :thumbup:

Good grief, I can't even imagine how much that hurt. 

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
And kevlar chaps, I know a guy who just missed his femoral artery 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
If this was in the US
Have never heard of an ambulatory call being too busy.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
Just the thought of being anywhere near a chainsaw makes me feel a bit queasy.
Feel sorry for the poor sod, driving under those conditions.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
What's even more odd than the ambulance bit, is the police officer gave him a sobriety test instead of helping him to a hospital.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
What's even more odd than the ambulance bit, is the police officer gave him a sobriety test instead of helping him to a hospital.

Yes, that is somewhat ridiculous... have to wonder at people sometimes.  :apondering:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore

Universal health care in Australia doesn't cover ambulances. Or teeth. You need private insurance or deep pockets for those.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU

I can just imagine how that went down. That police officer sounds like a right tosser.  :grrr:

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.

I can just imagine how that went down. That police officer sounds like a right tosser.  :grrr:
Indeed.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
An ambulance costs about $120 a ride unless you pay private insurance (the cheapest policy being one for ambulance only, about $40 per year)

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
An ambulance costs about $120 a ride unless you pay private insurance (the cheapest policy being one for ambulance only, about $40 per year)

That's cheap. My dad got a ride in an ambulance from one side of town to the other and the bill was about $2,000.   :o

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.

That's cheap. My dad got a ride in an ambulance from one side of town to the other and the bill was about $2,000.   :o
That's probably not the typical standard.