0 (0%)
Not sure (aged less than 40)
0 (0%)
No (aged less than 40)
3 (37.5%)
It depends how much you're paying.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Exericise Intolerance (incoroprating personal history and NHS rant)  (Read 632 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Exericise Intolerance (incoroprating personal history and NHS rant)
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 07:32:10 AM »

Rage, shut the fuck up. I know Walkie personally and she's not faking this.
Don't worry about him, Pyraxis. He made it pretty clear that he's judging on the title of the thread , not the contents, which he can't be arsed be reading.  Therefore, it's nothing but trolling. He maybe thinks I deserve it for suggesting that I2 might be growing up.  I dunno, and I don't really care. If he's got a bitch with me, I'd just sooner he did it in some other thread (preferably one of his own threads) . That's why I stopped answering him here.

But I'd rather challenge him than look down my nose at him. My nose isn't that long.  :P
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 07:43:58 AM »
Excersise intolerance. It reminds me of those guys in basic who wimped out during pt because "they couldn't breathe" or something. We ALL couldn't breathe! We were getting smoked by a drill for crissakes.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 08:27:51 AM »
But it's not, for everyone. That's why the name is so unfortunate. There's some weird and undiagnosed neurological thing going on, related to seizures.

But hey, for another example, take asthma. Running provokes asthma for some people. It is possible to kill them if you force them to keep going. I remember an article about an idiot gym teacher who tried it once. There are different severities of asthma attack, and with some of them, if you stop and you're very disciplined about the way you breathe, you can manage to recover without meds. But not always. There are good reasons not everyone's suited to military training.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 08:40:11 AM »

She is nearly 80, and she is a very energetic lady. She had a couple of really rough years, postponing needed surgery, because of the need to take care of my dying dad, but she's had her operations and is getting back more and more to her very energetic self. The weird seizure thing, horrid periods and some rheumatic pains is the only long lasting problems I know of her. All the other things that came later have clear causes.
Her seizures are triggered by anxiety and pain, mainly, but there are out of the blue seizures too. Seldom, but they do happen.

Interesting.  My mum is 83, and is still a bleedin' whirlwhind.  I've often noticed that ADD types like myself  have these highly energetic types in their families, as if some members got more than their fair share of the family energy ration. Well, there might actually be an explanation for that. It might not be pure coincidence.

My Mum is also the type who proclaiims herself "fit as afiddle" "Never had a day's illness in my llife" But it's not actually  true.

She also suffers  asthma, like me, for one thing.
 Her thyroid gland is not just underactive, but dead. (under treatment now, though, ofc) for one other thing
She also has a shitload of drug iintolerances, like me.  Like me, she has allergic reactions to some antibiotics, and the rest wash her out completely and leave her drained of energy for a couple of weeks or so.

I think I said that MD can affect different generations (or siblings) very differently ? And with widely different severity. Well I think my Mum and I are probably a case in point.  All the above can be attributed  to MD, but there the similarity ends.

Mum has high blood pressure(not surpringly, hmm? )  I have low blood pressure. Both extemes can be due to MD. My Mums BP is so high that she ought to be dead. But it's always been like that. She says it's naturally high, and not a problem. She feels really ill, if the doctors ever manage to bring it down to within a normal range.  Amazingly, her doctors have recently agreed with her about this, and told her it must be genetic.

Again, not surpringly, My Mum had to be hospitalised for a fortnight with pre-eclempsia when she was carrying me. However,  she was fine, whilst carrying my little sister.   A mother who is carrying an MD-affected foetus (whether she has MD herself or not) is at high risk of developing pre-eclempsia.  IIRC, they now test the baby for MD, once it's born, in these cases.

Both she and my sister now suffer from vertigo, at erratic intervals. Another possible MD symptom. (And my sister is the whirwind type too   :hide:). My sister also suffers from salicyliate intolerence ( which is also linked with MD) . Thankfully , I don't. or else there's be nothing left that i can safely eat  :LOL:.

Some forms of MD are passed on entirely through the mother. However there's a load  of stuff on my Dad's side too (he was  the Aspie/ADD type, thank goodness) to suggest that it comes from both sides in my case.

*phew* Enough for now. I'll carry on replying later.

-Walkie

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:42:40 AM by DrunkardsWalk »

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 08:43:31 AM »
But it's not, for everyone. That's why the name is so unfortunate. There's some weird and undiagnosed neurological thing going on, related to seizures.

But hey, for another example, take asthma. Running provokes asthma for some people. It is possible to kill them if you force them to keep going. I remember an article about an idiot gym teacher who tried it once. There are different severities of asthma attack, and with some of them, if you stop and you're very disciplined about the way you breathe, you can manage to recover without meds. But not always. There are good reasons not everyone's suited to military training.

Indeed. Just like the mind works different for some, and that is pretty clear for the spazzes here on I2, so has the body different challenges for everyone, visible and invisible.

Someone going blind because of a mitochondrial problem will probably be taken more serious than someone not being able to climb the stairs because of a mitochondrial problem. Simply because being blind is something we can pretend to understand, by closing our eyes.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 08:47:46 AM »
Excersise intolerance. It reminds me of those guys in basic who wimped out during pt because "they couldn't breathe" or something. We ALL couldn't breathe! We were getting smoked by a drill for crissakes.

Rage, could it be you are completely the opposite, non exercise intolerant?
What I saw of you, you need your body to move a lot, in order to function.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 08:50:56 AM »

Interesting.  My mum is 83, and is still a bleedin' whirlwhind.  I've often noticed that ADD types like myself  have these highly energetic types in their families, as if some members got more than their fair share of the family energy ration. Well, there might actually be an explanation for that. It might not be pure coincidence.

Couple of years ago, I read that somewhere, in the US, IIRC, a group of CFS women got treated for ADD/ADHD, because in their families that was a common DX. And the women improved on the medication. I read it off-line somewhere. May go looking for it later, not promising it though.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2015, 04:36:06 PM »
inherited all her long lasting problems, though my seizure/fainting is a lot less than hers, and mine is clearly "extreme stress" related. Both fully and partially going out is a thing I can experience.

I've read that stress can be a trigger, as can cold, exercise, low blood sugar, various drugs...etc. There's a lot of individual variation.

Past few years I have noticed exercise gives me energy, after a few weeks. So no metabolism problems there
Again, that's no reason for ruling it out. Exercise can be beneficful for Mitochondrial patients, just as much as for other people, and for allthe same reasons. They just have to be a whole lot more careful not to overdo it.

I do have easily cramping up muscles, got that from my dad, because my muscles is where I store my tension. I keep my mental cool as long as I can store it all in my muscles. It is a mental thing for me.
I've learned down the years to very cautious re, making such clear distinctions.
I guess it's an Aspie thing. I've always preferred to think that my mind, rather than my body is calling all the shots, and it's usually easy to interpret things that way. But I've too often caught myself out, automatically applying rationalisations that weren't quite so rational on examination, just to avoid concluding that my body was bossing me around.  And otherwise turning out to be wrong.

So goddammit, I just have to acknowledge my body as an equal  partner in this "living on earth" enterprise after all...if an iredeemably  stupid one.

How old is your son, and how do you cope with raising him.

He's 25 now. So I don't have to cope with raising him...much.
Luckily, his being dependant on me, and my becoming a crippled old spazz  didn't overlap too much.  This timing really  screwed my social life though  :LOL:  By the time I could go out without arranging a babysitter (which i basically couldn't afford anyway) I wasjust  too fatigued to go out. Ho hum. Aspie anyways  8). It would be hell for an NT, I'm sure. but I have my faithful old computer :)

-Walkie

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 04:48:26 PM by DrunkardsWalk »

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 04:49:39 PM »
I do have easily cramping up muscles, got that from my dad, because my muscles is where I store my tension. I keep my mental cool as long as I can store it all in my muscles. It is a mental thing for me.
I've learned down the years to very cautious re, making such clear distinctions.
I guess it's an Aspie thing. I've always preferred to think that my mind, rather than my body is calling all the shots, and it's usually easy to interpret things that way. But I've too often caught myself out too, automatically applying rationalisations that weren't quite so rational on examination, just to avoid concluding that my body was bossing me around.  And otherwise turning out to be wrong.

So goddammit, I just have to acknowledge my body as an equal  partner in this "living on earth" enterprise after all...if an iredeemably  stupid one.

That is about what I meant, I think. My body is more sensible than my mind. Thinking them apart now to express what I mean. If I go too far with crossing my boundaries, mostly not in a physical way, my body will set me to a halt. And that is not a bad thing.

Right now, I have too much stuff going on in my life to be able to pursue looking from a MD point. Maybe it would be wise for me, maybe not.
The things that drain me in life are things I am aware of and they need to be addressed.  But, I will keep it in mind, in case there is no bouncing back for me, when things will brighten up slowly in the coming years. I cherish my energy giving moments, and try to find more. Learning my boundaries, and learning that crossing them is OK, but will cost time with interest to recuperate is OK. Experiencing that crossing the boundaries too often, no matter how important the cause, is bloody dangerous and will lead to a physical and mental bankruptcy is something I should not do again.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 04:51:33 PM by hykeaswell »

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 04:55:38 PM »
inherited all her long lasting problems, though my seizure/fainting is a lot less than hers, and mine is clearly "extreme stress" related. Both fully and partially going out is a thing I can experience.

I've read that stress can be a trigger, as can cold, exercise, low blood sugar, various drugs...etc. There's a lot of individual variation.

For me it kinda works beneficial. I get partial malfunctioning and pressure types of auras when overwhelmed or stressed out. For me it is a way to notice. I do not notice other symptoms. So, my hearing giving up, or getting a massive pressure sensation on the bridge of my nose is my safety signal. I need to take care of myself when that happens.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2015, 05:03:20 PM »
Hyke? I was just wondering if my post on the headache shoulda gone here instead, when you responded

http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,14058.msg1069808.html#msg1069808

Now what intersts me here is that Trigeminal Neuralgia  is aparently pretty rare. It's definintely rare for the onset to be early (like mid-twenties, in my case) It usually starts in middle-age , or later.

So of course I started wondering if there might be a link between TN and MD, and when I checked it out,I found   there is a bit of evidence to that effect.  Though that whole field is under-reseached ofc.

What's more, our TN is atypical, though mine started out as pretty typical.

I think I might start another poll to see how many I2 members have TN . Seriously.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2015, 05:09:31 PM »
The amount of exercise a person can bear or needs is a weird thing. And it would be good if doctors would take it serious as a symptom.

Kid in my village was always moving, in a very intense way. If she had to sit still, like in school, she could not eat.

People thought it was a psychological thing, anorexia. She did get some medical screening, but never did they find anything.

And then, one morning, her heart stopped. They were with her in time. A young teenager, she needed a pacemaker. For years and years she had been exercising massively, out of instinct, because it was the only way she could get her heart going at an acceptable rate.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2015, 05:24:41 PM »
Hyke? I was just wondering if my post on the headache shoulda gone here instead, when you responded

http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,14058.msg1069808.html#msg1069808

Now what intersts me here is that Trigeminal Neuralgia  is aparently pretty rare. It's definintely rare for the onset to be early (like mid-twenties, in my case) It usually starts in middle-age , or later.

So of course I started wondering if there might be a link between TN and MD, and when I checked it out,I found   there is a bit of evidence to that effect.  Though that whole field is under-reseached ofc.

What's more, our TN is atypical, though mine started out as pretty typical.

I think I might start another poll to see how many I2 members have TN . Seriously.

I know a few people with TN problems, or with a facial tic related to it. For at least two of them it started at a very young age. For others it was something triggered by tooth problems. For my ex it was a one time only event, after a not so careful dental surgical treatment.

Maybe in this other poll you could ask about problems with the peripheral nervous system, to widen it to more than only TN. 

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »
There are myelin issue theories, both for autism and for TN btw.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2015, 05:52:38 PM »
There are myelin issue theories, both for autism and for TN btw.
And for MS . Also beginning to be inked with MD.
http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fphys.2013.00169/abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2790545/

Any good links to the myelin/autism thing? Doesn't surprise me in the least, but first I heard of that one.