0 (0%)
Not sure (aged less than 40)
0 (0%)
No (aged less than 40)
3 (37.5%)
It depends how much you're paying.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Exericise Intolerance (incoroprating personal history and NHS rant)  (Read 633 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Exericise Intolerance (incoroprating personal history and NHS rant)
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 09:54:10 PM »
Do you feel like a victim?

Rage, shut the fuck up. I know Walkie personally and she's not faking this.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 09:59:52 PM »
Is the symptom really called exercise intolerance? If it is, that seriously sucks that it sounds like something made up for special privileges, along the lines of "affluenza".
Yep. Is that the  American term for what we Brits used to  call "Yuppie flu" (i.e. ME/CFS)

Not quite. Some dickwad killed two people while drunk driving, and his daddy's expensive lawyer got him off without consequences by claiming he suffered from affluenza and had never been taught to understand the repercussions of his actions.

I don't get the judge's logic either.  :dunno:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 11:04:29 PM »

Even though I am fifty nine years of age, I can tell you, despite what you know I have gone through, the surgeries, etc. I can still find a way (every other day or so)  to release my own endorphins. Not yet doing much on the bag, other than side kicks and upper body, but I am trying and finding every way I can to get back to where I was ten years ago. Never gonna happen, but I am actually in better shape than I was five years ago, before the surgery.

I agree with you. It does not matter what is wrong or what has happened to you. Just keep making your body as strong as it can be, every single day. Most everything will fall into place.

I agree with you.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 11:34:05 PM »

Don't worry about him, Pyraxis. He made it pretty clear that he's judging on the title of the thread , not the contents, which he can't be arsed be reading.  Therefore, it's nothing but trolling. He maybe thinks I deserve it for suggesting that I2 might be growing up.  I dunno, and I don't really care. If he's got a bitch with me, I'd just sooner he did it in some other thread (preferably one of his own threads) . That's why I stopped answering him here.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 11:38:40 PM »
I answered not sure, because I do struggle to exercise and get pains down my calves just from walking the last 6 months, as well as constant fatigue, those could be symptoms all manner of other things and I do have hypothyroidism, albeit, medicated hypothyroidism.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 11:54:05 PM »
Diagnosed with the "Yuppie flu" FM/CFS in and around year 2000 after I had my son...about a year before they told me I was also a spazz.

Can't say I've ever been a yuppie though, crazy redneck woman...maybe. ;)

The first 4-6 years were the worst...honestly if I was a horse they would have shot me, I felt pretty worthless some days. They told me it was in my head, I was depressed, then they offered me pain killers and allergy shots. I basically stopped going to see the Dr. as much as possible.

Cold=pain, fatigue to the point where I couldn't think and I sounded and walked like a drunk sometimes, dizziness, allergies to things that never bothered me before and the list kept growing, asthma, low grade fevers, waking up feeling like someone beat me in my sleep.

Changed my diet, changed how I did things, what I even used to clean with. etc. Made progress, not by leaping bounds, but progress. It's gotten better, and I'm pretty active now, or at least I really try to be, but when I do too much, I know, and spend a couple days or so knocked on my ass feeling like I have the flu.

I started off with IBS around age 13, I've found that seems to be a common factor with some, some say it's the perfectionist mindset (type A personalities?)...maybe, I guess I can relate to that also, as I've always been a bit anal about things other people aren't that concerned with.   

:dunno:

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 11:59:38 PM »
I answered not sure, because I do struggle to exercise and get pains down my calves just from walking the last 6 months, as well as constant fatigue, those could be symptoms all manner of other things and I do have hypothyroidism, albeit, medicated hypothyroidism.

Yeah, all kinds of things could cause fatigue. But  given that MD has been strongly linked with Autism in recent years, it could pay us to keep it in mind. It's not the kind of thing your GP would know anything about. It's most often diagnosed by neurologists, because it usually causes a shitload of atypical neuromuscular symptoms. It's the atypicality that's the killer, diagnostically. Or was. Things might well have improved by now. I think my earlier neurologist was figuring that atypiclity equals  badly-researched fake. That was before this recent burst of MD research, though.

I was actually diagnosed with hypothyroidism, last year  :LOL:. But it's not very severe as yet, and the endocrinolologist reckons it might just  be best  to just leave it untreated , given all my intolerences (they make it really hard to find a suitable thyroxine preparation. ) It doesn't explain all those symptoms I've been getting, and it completely fails to explain their severity.

In my case, at least, hypothyroidism is very likely just another symptom, rather than the root cause.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 12:41:23 AM »
hey IQ :)
Diagnosed with the "Yuppie flu" FM/CFS in and around year 2000 after I had my son...about a year before they told me I was also a spazz.

I was provisionally diagnosed with CFS for a while. My GP wasn't entirely  happy  with that  cos I had "too many symptoms". But then  I had too many symptoms for everything else as well.

The first 4-6 years were the worst...honestly if I was a horse they would have shot me, I felt pretty worthless some days. They told me it was in my head, I was depressed, then they offered me pain killers and allergy shots. I basically stopped going to see the Dr. as much as possible.

Guess what this spazz did fo the first few years? Self-diagnosed with depression. D'oh. Then it took me another 2 years (or therabouts) to convince my GP I'd been wrong about that. 

My trouble was I had very little interest in my body. I just used brute force and ignorance to get it to what  wanted, and otherwise abused/ignored it. The mind is a whole lot more interesting, IMO. That's not the first time I misdiagnosed myself with a psychosomatic disorder, but  was definitely the most regrettable.  :LOL:  After realising how silly I'd been , I had to sit there listening to a long line of doctors making the exact same mistake, rather than investigating. 

What finally convinced me it was something organic was that there was no damned thing that  I could ever do to pull myself out of it. Everytime I tried, I made it worse instead.  Plus, .it didn't seem related to my mood at all. Yeah, i know you can be depressed unconsciously, but I'm usually too self-aware not to catch myself getting depressed.

Cold=pain, fatigue to the point where I couldn't think and I sounded and walked like a drunk sometimes, dizziness, allergies to things that never bothered me before and the list kept growing, asthma, low grade fevers, waking up feeling like someone beat me in my sleep.

<<---Umm, check out my nick. That has proved embarrassingly prophetic .

Well, I always did have a little bit of ataxia, but not so much that it would even cross my mind very often. When I made that nick, I was casting around  for a word that means  "random" .  Plus Frederick Pohl had a book of that title that I liked.

Now, yeah, not only do I walk exactly like a drunk  sometmes, I also slur my speech like a drunk. The neighbours give me this really cynical look, if I ever remark that I don't drink.  :LOL:

Changed my diet, changed how I did things, what I even used to clean with. etc. Made progress, not by leaping bounds, but progress. It's gotten better, and I'm pretty active now, or at least I really try to be, but when I do too much, I know, and spend a couple days or so knocked on my ass feeling like I have the flu.

Hmm. Curious to know more about the changes you made.

I also avoid certain cleaning chemicals now (chlorine-based ones, especially, because I definitely have bad reactions to chlorine)

I started off with IBS around age 13, I've found that seems to be a common factor with some, some say it's the perfectionist mindset (type A personalities?)...maybe, I guess I can relate to that also, as I've always been a bit anal about things other people aren't that concerned with.   

IBS is just about  the one thing you mention that I've never had.

Please look into MD a bit more? It's not like I've described all the possible symptoms in my post. It's not like anybody has all the the possible symptoms. But you do have a substantial subset of them, from what you say. And if it isn't psychosomatic, gets worse again, you really don't want to be jollied out of it.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 01:05:38 AM »
PS There's not one single "not sure" answer up there, graelwyn.
I think you musta checked the wrong box. (I now confidently diagnose you with  Walkie syndrome*grin*  )

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 02:55:35 AM »

Might be the aspie in Rage. What I have seen from Rage, he has the opposite going on, he can not function without massive exercise.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 06:20:24 AM »
I think you musta checked the wrong box. (I now confidently diagnose you with  Walkie syndrome*grin*  )

That is weird... I definitely clicked it originally and it took me to a reply box, so I assumed I had to actually type something for my vote to count and didn't bother to check it had actually submitted  :lol1: I clicked it again just now anyway and it seems to have gone through. I put 40 and over because, well, what's 2 months and a few weeks between friends ?

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 06:26:50 AM »

That is weird... I definitely clicked it originally and it took me to a reply box, so I assumed I had to actually type something for my vote to count and didn't bother to check it had actually submitted  :lol1: I clicked it again just now anyway and it seems to have gone through. I put 40 and over because, well, what's 2 months and a few weeks between friends ?

:laugh:

In one room, that would be too much time for any friend for me.

I'll try to tick a box too, in the poll.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 06:43:54 AM »

Eek! Three generations affected. And no positive test results. You're all "perfectly healthy" I suppose. If your Mum has a test , get her try exercising first. Oh! and starving herself. because I find that low blood sugar also does the trick; and the combination of the two is irresistable.   How old is she?

She is nearly 80, and she is a very energetic lady. She had a couple of really rough years, postponing needed surgery, because of the need to take care of my dying dad, but she's had her operations and is getting back more and more to her very energetic self. The weird seizure thing, horrid periods and some rheumatic pains is the only long lasting problems I know of her. All the other things that came later have clear causes.
Her seizures are triggered by anxiety and pain, mainly, but there are out of the blue seizures too. Seldom, but they do happen.

I inherited all her long lasting problems, though my seizure/fainting is a lot less than hers, and mine is clearly "extreme stress" related. Both fully and partially going out is a thing I can experience.
Past few years I have noticed exercise gives me energy, after a few weeks. So no metabolism problems there. I do have easily cramping up muscles, got that from my dad, because my muscles is where I store my tension. I keep my mental cool as long as I can store it all in my muscles. It is a mental thing for me.
My daughter had the seizure things from a very young age on. Absences, "fainting", "going out" all of a sudden falling to sleep. There are lots of things at stake with her. I am keeping a close eye on her, when it comes to her fatigue. She is a girl that loves to move and exercise, really needs it, but sometimes she is too worn out to do it, and it brings her in a catch 22. Because when she can move, it gives her energy. Will look into weird symptoms for mitochondrial stuff, because from very small on there is physically something strange about her, with rashes, fevers, bowel issues, all over body candida and what not without a reason. They have turned her inside out, the only thing they could come up with was that she was not allergic, but extremely sensitive, one day for one thing, the other day for another thing.

Luckily, I had the right answer at the tip of my tongue (how unusual is that for an Aspie?!) . I want to know what kind of genetic inheritance my son might have. I don't want him to have to go  through the same awful experience of having his symptoms disbelieved, as I did .

How old is your son, and how do you cope with raising him.

My SIL has been dx-ed with CFS, she is slowly finding some energy back via acupuncture treatment. Most of the raising of her son, lots of the housekeeping, and the providing of income is being taken care of by my brother. A guy who has a massive amounts of energy. Two of my brothers are extremely energetic beings.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 06:46:42 AM »
Ticked the not sure, over 40 btw.

I did not know whether to tick "no" or "not sure",  maybe "no" was the better answer, because there are very good reasons explaining my lack of energy the past years. But then again, my body is clearly changing because of age, and I have no idea what a "normal" amount of energy would be for me, nowadays.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 07:00:44 AM »
I do OK with exercise under the right circumstances (because of the asthma, I'll probably never be a runner- it's mild at this point but it's still there), but I do find I crash out pretty badly afterward.  Eating soon after *helps* but doesn't fix.

I've been generally very worried about my energy levels, not just related to exercise.  Some kind of MD is something I don't think I've looked into yet.  I've gotten better without gluten, but I still feel like I'm not right, and I still feel like "it's depression" isn't an OK explanation.  I'd be less depressed if I had the energy to do things in the first place.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.