Author Topic: What's Your View On The Death Penalty?  (Read 3738 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: What's Your View On The Death Penalty?
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2015, 06:46:02 PM »
Why did you quote that without responding?  :orly:

I hit the post button by accident  :facepalm2:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2015, 07:22:34 PM »
Why did you quote that without responding?  :orly:

I hit the post button by accident  :facepalm2:

good god, we're getting grilled by the gopher now

how undignified

(hmm. nice alliteration though )

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2015, 11:13:27 PM »
Think it common for people here use the rationale of taxpayer expense to support the death penalty, but in the US the financial fact is trials that seek the death penalty are more expensive than life sentences. The trial alone is more expensive than both the trial and the expense of paying for life imprisonment combined. The only thing that puts me on the fence of the topic sometimes, is the views of the victim's family. If they would personally rather see the killers dead, then maybe that's more important than what I think, and it's general practice for judges in states with the death penalty to consider the views of survivors when sentencing. Banishment is a great idea, but just can't see it catching on.

I find it very odd that a trial should be more expensive than the expense of a life in prison. Maybe I don't see all the implications, but my reaction is "OMG, how much do the lawyers charge?"

Banishment is indeed a good idea, but there's nowhere left to banish anyone, is there? Unless we're talking about somewhere that would mean an implied death sentence.

Absolute, total bullshit (what Jack said), except for the point made below (Wrongly executing an innocent). That is why instant and total, immediate retribution is so much more equivocal AND economic.

I can remember a couple of Machiavellian statements which bring this mindset of mine to home.

Something like: A wise man does at once what many fools do finally.

There is another one that rings true here. I can only remember the sentiment, so it is not actually a quote,  but it goes something like:  If you MUST injure a man, then do so so severely that one does not have to be concerned about the possibility of his vengeance.

Maybe a little harsh for a civilized human's way of thinking, BUT those who tend to do us harm are certainly not civilized and one can almost instantly and reasonably discount or at least question their clam to humanity.

Although, Machiavelli would probably be shot, today, his words contain a kind of vigor that demand consideration in light of today's violent times.

I see your point but disagree with it. I don't think killing should be part of a civilised society, no matter who is doing the killing.

Humans generally have to kill to eat meat, no matter how civilized they may pretend to be. Never heard of an animal volunteering to be eaten. Allowing for a paid group of servant type people to do that killing for us does not set us above it in any way; we are all still killers.

Humans also defend themselves incredibly violently when home and family are threatened.

It is quite likely that in ones lifetime one might encounter a violent uncivilized force. It might even come down to one of only two choices: either bow down to this totally uncivilized force and suffer what it may need or remove that horrible uncivilized force from our society.

We all know how to do so and I do not think any of us will ever forget what to do when the time comes to remove such an uncivilized force from within our midst.

A wise man does at once ...
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2015, 11:50:19 PM »
I feel that life in prison  is a more punishing sentence than death, with death it's all over in an instant.

When they finally get that far, which frequently takes years.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2015, 07:31:56 PM »
I must assume you believe he should have been allowed the right to die then?
Pretty much
I believe he should have been allowed to die.
I don't think "rights" come into it. That's an ambiguous philosophical concept that just muddies the issue.
If people just go and on on piling on the misery because they hate him, then I fail to see any good ever coming of that, just all kinds of potential evil.
And piling on the misery is precisely what would happen in prison, I should think. Because prisoners and guards all tend to hate and despise that kind of criminal. They would all pay him back, any way they could,  if they saw an opportunity.
It's all too dehumanising. Bring a swift, painless end to it, and maybe we can all go back to being human.

Occasionally you make a tiny dab of sense to me. You do not seem as unintelligent at times as first impressions would lead me to assume.

... and ... I totally understand why you would try to defend close people from presumably harsh people like me.

I do not know you, but maybe we can start to try to do so or not; you decide. I have already kicked shit in your face. You tell me if you can just wipe off and start over, but we must do so in the full view of the public and NOT by PM.

Allow me to start by saying that I may have been a bit more harsh to you in your private contact than I could possibly have been, even though I saw no reason for you to contact me privately.

I do not care for private contacts from total strangers.

Anyway ... I do not know what else to say, other than, "I am willing to try to start over."

Are you?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:33:36 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2015, 08:42:25 PM »
Is this about n00dz?  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2015, 08:58:27 PM »
if i couldn't wipe shit off my face, i'd be buried under shit by now  :LOL:
sure, DD. np :)

(and nice one  :plus:)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2015, 02:58:15 PM »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2015, 07:26:10 PM »

Perv. :P

Well, if it's about n00dz, I just don't want Walkie to be discouraged by DirtDawg. Not everyone is apposed to private contacts from total strangers.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2015, 09:50:08 PM »
It's permanent
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2015, 01:50:34 AM »
Since there are only two things that are permanent, couldn't we try the other?

- Albert Einstein

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2015, 05:08:44 PM »
Only acceptable if restricted to the most serious of crimes.  Like disagreeing with me on the internet.

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2015, 05:12:39 PM »
Banishment is indeed a good idea, but there's nowhere left to banish anyone, is there? Unless we're talking about somewhere that would mean an implied death sentence.

Okay, I didn't consider banishment.  I suppose they could be relegated to dial-up with much the same effect.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2015, 08:27:29 PM »

Yup, yours.

One of us thinks you would best be served with a light roux of lamb (to offset, well, you know), side of the best asparagus and a delicate cilantro salsa, the other thinks that if your pelt is worth keeping, it would have already been taken.

Hence, not much reason for you to enter this conversation.

KTHXBAI

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2015, 08:29:21 PM »
if i couldn't wipe shit off my face, i'd be buried under shit by now  :LOL:
sure, DD. np :)

(and nice one  :plus:)

You and I both, pal.