Educational

Author Topic: we’re running out of chocolate  (Read 280 times)

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
we’re running out of chocolate
« on: November 17, 2014, 04:52:24 AM »

There's no easy way to say this: You're eating too much chocolate, all of you. And it's getting so out of hand that the world could be headed towards a potentially disastrous (if you love chocolate) scenario if it doesn't stop.

Those are, roughly speaking, the words of two huge chocolate makers, Mars, Inc. and Barry Callebaut. And there's some data to back them up.

Chocolate deficits, whereby farmers produce less cocoa than the world eats, are becoming the norm. Already, we are in the midst of what could be the longest streak of consecutive chocolate deficits in more than 50 years. It also looks like deficits aren't just carrying over from year-to-year—the industry expects them to grow. Last year, the world ate roughly 70,000 metric tons more cocoa than it produced. By 2020, the two chocolate-makers warn that that number could swell to 1 million metric tons, a more than 14-fold increase; by 2030, they think the deficit could reach 2 million metric tons.

The problem is, for one, a supply issue. Dry weather in West Africa (specifically in the Ivory Coast and Ghana, where more than 70 percent of the world's cocoa is produced) has greatly decreased production in the region. A nasty fungal disease known as frosty pod hasn't helped either. The International Cocoa Organization estimates it has wiped out between 30 percent and 40 percent of global coca production. Because of all this, cocoa farming has proven a particularly tough business, and many farmers have shifted to more profitable crops, like corn, as a result.

Then there's the world's insatiable appetite for chocolate. China's growing love for the stuff is of particular concern. The Chinese are buying more and more chocolate each year. Still, they only consume per capita about 5 percent of what the average Western European eats. There's also the rising popularity of dark chocolate, which contains a good deal more cocoa by volume than traditional chocolate bars (the average chocolate bar contains about 10 percent, while dark chocolate often contains upwards of 70 percent).
AdvertisementFor these reasons, cocoa prices have climbed by more than 60 percent since 2012, when people started eating more chocolate than the world could produce. And chocolate makers have, in turn, been forced to adjust by raising the price of their bars. Hershey's was the first, but others have followed suit.

Efforts to counter the growing imbalance between the amount of chocolate the world wants and the amount farmers can produce has inspired a bit of much needed innovation. Specifically, an agricultural research group in Central Africa is developing trees that can produce up to seven times the amount of beans traditional cocoa trees can. The uptick in efficiency, however, might be compromising taste, says Bloomberg's Mark Schatzker. He likens the trade-off to other mass-produced commodities.

Efforts are under way to make chocolate cheap and abundant -- in the process inadvertently rendering it as tasteless as today’s store-bought tomatoes, yet another food, along with chicken and strawberries, that went from flavorful to forgettable on the road to plenitude.
It's unclear anyone will mind a milder flavor if it keeps prices down. And the industry certainly won't mind, so long as it keeps the potential for a gargantuan shortage at bay.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonk...chocolate/

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
Re: we’re running out of chocolate
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 09:23:20 AM »
I blame CBC. :cbc:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 11:58:48 AM »
Oh noes.  :GA:

Great so there's going to be a lot more cheap tasteless chocolate candy out there. I prefer richer dark chocolate and I'm willing to pay more... yeah I'm addicted.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 11:59:37 AM »
Oh noes.  :GA:

Great so there's going to be a lot more cheap tasteless chocolate candy out there. I prefer richer dark chocolate and I'm willing to pay more... yeah I'm addicted.

Me too. And the darker, the better.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »
A world without chocolate.....NOOOOOOO!!! :GA: :GA: :GA: :GA: :GA:

*runs out to stockpile*

Anyone want to buy some chocolate? :zoinks: Just $199.99 a bar...almonds are extra. >:D

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 08:49:10 PM »
We don't need no stinkin' almonds.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 08:52:27 PM »
:GA:
:gopher:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 09:00:15 PM »
Seriously...first it was a shortage of .22 ammo, with everyone standing around in sporting goods at walmart every time they saw the truck pull up...now chocolate...this could get ugly.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 03:10:32 AM »
:GA:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 04:37:52 AM »
Seriously...first it was a shortage of .22 ammo, with everyone standing around in sporting goods at walmart every time they saw the truck pull up...now chocolate...this could get ugly.

Good thing nobody has any ammo :P

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 07:28:24 AM »

In Pennsylvania, everybody has ammo. :orly:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 10:13:29 AM »

In Pennsylvania, everybody has ammo. :orly:

QFT.

Yes, yes we do.

Some of us managed to get a phone call when the truck was spotted pulling in...because we're special. :autism:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 03:28:28 PM »
Don't worry Monsanto will soon genetically engineer cows to produce chocolate milk and chickens to lay chocolate eggs :zoinks:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Hannah

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
Oh My GOSH I thought this was a freaking joke... :thumbdn: wow...I only get chocolate when I get a hankering but man it will get fugley if we run out or if it is replaced by mass suck chocolate...

Hannah

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 03:38:41 PM »
page not found...wow... :orly: