Educational

Author Topic: I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire  (Read 982 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire
« on: November 12, 2014, 08:17:45 PM »
I can't think of any place to put this, so why not here?

We are in a home-style (Marriott) hotel until Nov 23.  The insurance company has a firm that placed us there and is looking for longer term accomodations, maybe 3 to 4 months.  The insurance company will pay for our furnished lodgings for 2 years (it better not take THAT long). 

We have been advanced funds and we're just buying what we need until we get in the longer term lodging.  We don't want to have to move too much.

The clean up will start on Monday.  We can go in and get what we can/want. 

The property damage is estimated to be $100,000.  Our contents insurance should more than cover what we will replace.  Basically the whole house will have to be rebuilt to code.  A lengthy, tedious process, but one that was needed.  Our house was built in the early 1960's and needed repairs and refreshing badly.  Our furniture was mostly hand-me-downs and thrift store buys. 

My mantra is "Thoughtful, Simple, Elegant". 

How the fire started:  the PR was burning posters of a performer who had disappointed her.  In her bedroom.  It got out of hand and she tried to put it out with the remains of a soft drink.  She ran to PA who tried to put it out, but the flames were already to the ceiling.  Some neighbors practically dragged him from the house. 

Right now the main concern is the PR's mental/emotional health.  She stayed with a friend until Tuesday evening because she didn't want to stay in a hotel.  We managed to convince her to look at it.  When she saw it was very apartment like, she was okay with it.  She's had a bad psychological seizure and we're trying not to stress her out more. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 10:06:59 PM »
I am so thankful that the insurance company is still covering it even though it was caused by the PR. It had been my secret fear this past week that you and PA knew it was probably her but were saying nothing because it would have voided the insurance.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 11:23:13 PM »
I had suspected this is what happened, didn't feel it was right to ask. :P

Just glad everyone got out okay. I'm sure this has taken a major toll on the PR...hoping the next few months bring good things to all of you and give you all a break with the bad.

My friend had planned on re-building...but a couple months into the clean up they decided it was better to start over with a house that needed some renovations, then to renovate from the ground up. They had a patch house like I once did...1930's or so...the frame houses from that era are usually totaled around here in a fire, not many do ever rebuild them.

It was strange the stories she told me about the clean-up...an lcd tv in the room next to the center of the fire remained untouched and working...the one in the bedroom that didn't burn, melted from the heat. Luckily she never unloaded the dishwasher and it was filled to capacity...the dishwasher burned, but all her dishes and pans inside where saved.

Going back in to see what remains will be the toughest part I think...don't know what to say...just :hug:. Things are just things though, it's the memories that count when it's said and done.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 03:02:05 AM »
Just like Py and IQ, I feared the cause of the fire was something like this. I know a couple that lost their house, because fire became the special interest of their LFA son. The indoor surveillance cameras they had were not enough to prevent it. And he did not lose his special interest in fire. They did have massive issues with their insurance, but in the end, they got things covered too.

Glad your insurance did not cause problems. Hope you will get a mold free house to replace the place that was dear to you. Going through stuff, salvage what is still good, and decide to throw away what might be used still, but is clearly damaged will be hard. Remember my dad telling how they had to throw away all tools of his dad, they still looked good, but the fire had weakened them all.

Will there be some help for the PR? A place for her to be away from it all for a couple of days a week? Can imagine that it would be good for you and PA too to go through stuff without her being overwhelmed at your side all the time. And just to be just the two of you for a moment.

:hug:

I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 05:23:30 AM »
What everyone else said, basically. :hug:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 05:27:21 AM »
Hope things work out well

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 12:58:02 PM »
:gopher:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 06:30:30 PM »
We are set to move into an apartment on Wednesday.  The clean-out of the house starts tomorrow with a professional company doing it.  We'll be there to take pictures of big items that will need to be replaced and any items that we can/want to save.

The PR is hiding her emotions except for a few times she says that she wants to kill herself.  We're not leaving her alone.  Once we get settled into the apartment and can take a breath or 2 we'll look into therapy for her.  It's just too hectic with all the running around I'm doing.  Most of the people we've dealt with are quite understanding about the PR's condition.  Our claims owner (the go-through) has an autistic adult son.

I know the insurance company is a business, and my family's well-being is my business.  I'm not out to cheat or gouge them, but if we get most of what we want/need and the company does too, then it's a win-win situation. 

Thanks everyone for the thoughts, love and best wishes.  We will make it through this and into a happier life as long as we take it slowly and thoughtfully. 

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 07:14:10 PM »

The PR is hiding her emotions except for a few times she says that she wants to kill herself.  We're not leaving her alone.  Once we get settled into the apartment and can take a breath or 2 we'll look into therapy for her.  It's just too hectic with all the running around I'm doing.  Most of the people we've dealt with are quite understanding about the PR's condition.  Our claims owner (the go-through) has an autistic adult son.

:'(  We all make mistakes...I've made tons...many times I just got lucky and caught myself before something I did snowballed, because it had the potential to be a real whopper. You learn and move on.

Looking back though, some of my biggest mistakes brought about some of the best changes.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 03:06:39 PM »
We're in our apartment now.  Furniture and furnishings are in as well.  Just sorting out our things.  I've filled a massive long construction dumpster about 40% full of hoarding debris from the living, dining and part of the kitchen rooms.  Cbc will be quite envious of me.  Two bedrooms, hall closet and bathroom (all pretty much total losses), and pantry to go.  The attic and everything there was lost as well.

So far, everyone who has been in the house says it's a complete gut.  So.............  Maybe April or so?

Just a bit scattered because there is so much to remember and process, even with lists, but I'm doing well.  PA has been sick and the PR is still pretty needy.  But things are what they are.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 04:51:25 PM »
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 05:22:11 PM »
Wow.   :zombiefuck:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 06:22:22 PM »
I hope PR feels better and  things   move swiftly with the rebuild.  When you say it's a gut job does that mean the basic structure(the framing) is still intact?  One of my sons almost did the same thing once,  he had a desk full of fireworks he had taken apart and was trying to make new ones when one of the containers of powder caught fire.  I got it out with a couple of fire extinguishers then some water but I wasn't so sure I would be able too at first.  Any questions about the rebuild I will do my best to answer

"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 05:39:04 PM »
Most of the framing should be okay.  It is a brick house, so minimal damage to that.  We're not sure about the roof.  The sheetrock will have to be done.  We realize it's a slow process, with lots of down time (waiting for permits and inspections, other contractors to find time for us, etc.)

Thanks Parts, I will probably have more than one question.

The PR continues to be suicidal. She's not left alone and the management of the apartment complex have agreed to keep an eye out for her if needed.

I have to laugh inside when she walks into the bedroom cutting her elbow joint with a dinner knife.  Don't worry, I'm reassuring her that she is loved, there is nothing to forgive, what's done is in the past, etc.   I may seem to be a flippant, wacky mom, but I try not to over dramatize things with her.  She gets loads of hugs and I'm planning on doing things with her for Christmas.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 01:02:42 AM »
I think you are great and the PR is lucky to have such a cool mum. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae