Educational

Author Topic: Now listen here, feminism...  (Read 4130 times)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Now listen here, feminism...
« Reply #255 on: November 12, 2014, 09:47:26 AM »
This is why I just tell feminist flat out to shut the fuck up and then walk away when they start quoting the dictionary when I ask them what they thing feminism is.

So this is where supporting each other ends? Weak, Rage, weak.

Bad form, I know, replying to your own post, but seeing I mixed your post and Al's, I feel I have to point out my error.

I now realise no support was intended on your part.

Correct.  :LOL:

Not that I am against being supportive, but just as I wouldn't support someone's decision to steal my wallet, I won't support ideologues doing one thing and calling it another.

Its called lying, you see.

They lie when they quote the dictionary?

I'm afraid so. Nobody thinks that defines the ideology any more. Not really, anyway. They may even lie to themselves and rationalize their closely held belief, but they are still lying.  ;)
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #256 on: November 13, 2014, 01:25:37 AM »
This is why I just tell feminist flat out to shut the fuck up and then walk away when they start quoting the dictionary when I ask them what they thing feminism is.

Bad form, I know, replying to your own post, but seeing I mixed your post and Al's, I feel I have to point out my error.

Not that I am against being supportive, but just as I wouldn't support someone's decision to steal my wallet, I won't support ideologues doing one thing and calling it another.

I'm afraid so. Nobody thinks that defines the ideology any more. Not really, anyway. They may even lie to themselves and rationalize their closely held belief, but they are still lying.  ;)

So I'm lying now?

feminism
/ˈfɛmɪnɪz(ə)m/
noun
noun: feminism

the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.
    synonyms:   the women's movement, the feminist movement, women's liberation, female emancipation, women's rights; More
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #257 on: November 13, 2014, 06:30:48 AM »

So I'm lying now?

feminism
/ˈfɛmɪnɪz(ə)m/
noun

synonyms:   the women's movement, the feminist movement, women's liberation, female emancipation, women's rights; More

Yes of course. That tired old tactic of quoting a written statement in order to justify the actions of unthinking ideologue. Its much the same with Christians and their idiotic habit of quoting bible verses. Often, they don't even understand what the verse was meant to mean.  :LOL:
I will never stop...

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #258 on: November 13, 2014, 06:41:49 AM »
To be fair were Feminism on a practical level simply Humanism (equality of the genders), then there would be no issue.
In any practical reading, there is huge differences in practical application and simplified theory.
Many Feminists will say "
the dictionary says "x" and that is all I believe in."
 I say "Great, you are a Humanist like me. I don't believe in Patriarchy or Feminist Theory either" 
"No...I believe in that too."
"Then it is not JUST equality of genders"
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #259 on: November 14, 2014, 12:43:21 PM »
Exactly, but this kind of rabid idealism is never so forthcoming.
I will never stop...

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #260 on: November 17, 2014, 01:51:24 AM »

So I'm lying now?

feminism
/ˈfɛmɪnɪz(ə)m/
noun

Yes of course. That tired old tactic of quoting a written statement in order to justify the actions of unthinking ideologue. Its much the same with Christians and their idiotic habit of quoting bible verses. Often, they don't even understand what the verse was meant to mean.  :LOL:

Actually, the above is just quoting an online dictionary to make a point. Hardly the same as quoting a Bible verse, IMHO. Can you tell the difference?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #261 on: November 17, 2014, 01:53:59 AM »
To be fair were Feminism on a practical level simply Humanism (equality of the genders), then there would be no issue.
In any practical reading, there is huge differences in practical application and simplified theory.
Many Feminists will say "
the dictionary says "x" and that is all I believe in."
 I say "Great, you are a Humanist like me. I don't believe in Patriarchy or Feminist Theory either" 
"No...I believe in that too."
"Then it is not JUST equality of genders"

Huh?

I mean really. The above doesn't compute for me.

- Albert Einstein

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #262 on: November 17, 2014, 09:09:13 AM »

So I'm lying now?

feminism
/ˈfɛmɪnɪz(ə)m/
noun

Actually, the above is just quoting an online dictionary to make a point. Hardly the same as quoting a Bible verse, IMHO. Can you tell the difference?

That is exactly what religious zealots do though. They quote their favorite tomes in order to "make a point", often without having a full understanding of what the book says.

I'm not trying to be condescending here, that's just what I observe people doing. And often. I used to constantly do it myself. There's nothing wrong with quoting the material of a professional to support a claim you've made, O-man. There is a problem though, when a person does so and expects it to be the end all.

Some empathy and common sense is required, no? Say we were talking about a proven phenomenon, like a like that never reaches zero. One could illustrate the asymptote, right? They could even make a couple of little charts before drawing the line, showing several test points and the algebra required to get them.

Now lets switch over to feminism, and the definition of it in the dictionary. Here is the quote:

feminism
/ˈfɛmɪnɪz(ə)m/
noun

synonyms:   the women's movement, the feminist movement, women's liberation, female emancipation, women's rights; More

On the ground of the equality of the sexes, it says. Hmm. Women's liberation, it says. Interesting.

Now lets go ahead and look at the actions of feminism say, over the last fifteen years. Can you name one thing the establishment of feminism has done to this end, that does not involve bashing men and their identity? I don't believe the dictionary definition includes pulling males down, but empowering women. If the dictionary definition of feminism actually defines it, then finding me an example of this should be a walk in the park, sir.

I'll wait. ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:21:09 AM by RageBeoulve »
I will never stop...

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #263 on: November 17, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »
I can. A quick google search is coming up with a lot of initiatives calling for things like affordable child care, paid parental leave, and equal wages for equal work.

Center for American Progress, Women's Initiative
Massachusetts Women in the Workplace Initiative
Obama Administration fact sheet on women's and family initiatives
National Committee on Pay Equity
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #264 on: November 17, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
I can. A quick google search is coming up with a lot of initiatives calling for things like affordable child care, paid parental leave, and equal wages for equal work.

Center for American Progress, Women's Initiative
Massachusetts Women in the Workplace Initiative
Obama Administration fact sheet on women's and family initiatives
National Committee on Pay Equity

And you're completely sure that none of these drag men down, rather than empower women?
I will never stop...

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #265 on: November 17, 2014, 08:49:43 PM »
You want me to do all your work for you?  :P
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #266 on: November 17, 2014, 09:14:53 PM »
You want me to do all your work for you?  :P

I see. That's unfortunate, Pyraxis. I can clearly see that the switch has already been flipped in this little exchange. Oh well.  :dunno:
I will never stop...

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #267 on: November 17, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »
No, I'm just busy as hell tonight, and I was destressing here instead of getting into the argument in depth. What happened to "I'll wait"?

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #268 on: November 17, 2014, 10:44:42 PM »
No, I'm just busy as hell tonight, and I was destressing here instead of getting into the argument in depth. What happened to "I'll wait"?

I'm still waiting.  :apondering:
I will never stop...

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #269 on: November 17, 2014, 10:51:37 PM »
Heard something interesting on NPR today.  A woman wrote a play about straight white males after getting feedback from queer and feminist academics at Brown University on what they would describe how the idealized straight white male would act.  Apparently the feminists hated the ideal, privelege-checking character because he was too weak and a loser.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2014/11/17/364760889/in-straight-white-men-a-play-explores-the-reality-of-privilege?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social