Author Topic: They were almost raped, guys.  (Read 4030 times)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: They were almost raped, guys.
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2013, 07:06:06 PM »
This shit is hateful, man. You can't tell me that even half of these stories are true, because that would mean that men in general actually are evil and dangerous savages, and that we really should be all locked up in cages and fed crackers and pieces of meat every now and then and just go OOOHH OHHH AAAHH AHHH *scratches ass*. And the very idea of that is ridiculous.

What if a third of them is true? A fourth? A fifth?

I don't doubt that there are both kinds, but I sincerely doubt you can tell the difference in each and every case.

Yes, even a fifth of the countless stories. If even a fifth of those are true, that means that all males should be purged or put in cages for the safety of superior women, Odeon.

:LOL:

"Countless stories?"

I thought we were discussing a site you linked to. ::) Hyperbole is not going to help your already deeply flawed logic.

Is it deeply flawed because its hard to accept? :laugh:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2013, 09:51:33 PM »
C'mon, can't you see DFGL being behind some of those stories? That's the sort of behavior that causes problems. Not everyday guys going about their lives and flirting with girls.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you're trying to say in this part, Py. Can you paraphrase?

You said if even half those stories were true, men were evil and dangerous savages. I pointed out one example of a man whose behavior could have been part of a story like that. As in, there are jackasses out there, not so far from home. It wasn't any more precise a point than that - but then your points haven't been too precise either.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2013, 09:55:17 PM »
Any of this may be true but it is not the point I was trying to make.
The point was down to choices. It is not honest and objective to overlook the choices people make.

Your point seems to boil down to, if people decide not to play the game then they deserve the little they get.

But you're not looking beyond the rules of your immediate workspace. You and your coworkers work for commission, which is dependent on the number of sales made. Fine. But my argument was originally about the old boys' club in upper management, and not all of its members are there because of unusual competence or dedication. They're there because their friends are there, and like hired like.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2013, 11:07:29 PM »
I agree it's not about merit. They're there because they have the "right" aggressive masculine personality to be there.

I'm willing to bet that almost every woman in such high position adopts a masculine sort of personality at work.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2013, 11:59:21 PM »
This shit is hateful, man. You can't tell me that even half of these stories are true, because that would mean that men in general actually are evil and dangerous savages, and that we really should be all locked up in cages and fed crackers and pieces of meat every now and then and just go OOOHH OHHH AAAHH AHHH *scratches ass*. And the very idea of that is ridiculous.

What if a third of them is true? A fourth? A fifth?

I don't doubt that there are both kinds, but I sincerely doubt you can tell the difference in each and every case.

Yes, even a fifth of the countless stories. If even a fifth of those are true, that means that all males should be purged or put in cages for the safety of superior women, Odeon.

:LOL:

"Countless stories?"

I thought we were discussing a site you linked to. ::) Hyperbole is not going to help your already deeply flawed logic.

Is it deeply flawed because its hard to accept? :laugh:

It's deeply flawed because it's wrong.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2013, 12:11:39 AM »
The point was down to choices. It is not honest and objective to overlook the choices people make.

Your point seems to boil down to, if people decide not to play the game then they deserve the little they get.

But you're not looking beyond the rules of your immediate workspace. You and your coworkers work for commission, which is dependent on the number of sales made. Fine. But my argument was originally about the old boys' club in upper management, and not all of its members are there because of unusual competence or dedication. They're there because their friends are there, and like hired like.

I've witnessed the old boys' club firsthand, and I'm a male. It is a reality.

I'm not saying it's all because of a conscious design, OR a cultural bias, OR male chauvinism. I'm saying that regardless of the reason(s), it's there and unless it is recognised, it will not change.

Rage's reasoning re the almost-raped forum is, while ridiculous, an example of the bias at work. Is his attitude a conscious one? I very much doubt it, but his way of attacking the problem is to belittle it, to ignore it, to destroy a more useful discussion: If <insert a number here> percent of the stories are true, then ALL men should be locked in or whatever his ridiculous suggestion is. It's a non-argument, it's just destructive.

Nobel laureates in management is a nice way of dodging what I was saying, btw, Sir Les. I don't know how this works at your workplace, and I don't pretend to. I think you may well have a point, in your context, but as for equality, your workplace does not tell the whole story.

There's no equality yet, IMHO.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2013, 12:17:24 AM »
I agree it's not about merit. They're there because they have the "right" aggressive masculine personality to be there.

I'm willing to bet that almost every woman in such high position adopts a masculine sort of personality at work.

From what I've seen it's exactly what happens. If it happens because there is no other way or because that's how the ruling elite currently does it, I don't know.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2013, 04:54:27 AM »

I've witnessed the old boys' club firsthand, and I'm a male. It is a reality.

I'm not saying it's all because of a conscious design, OR a cultural bias, OR male chauvinism. I'm saying that regardless of the reason(s), it's there and unless it is recognised, it will not change.

Rage's reasoning re the almost-raped forum is, while ridiculous, an example of the bias at work. Is his attitude a conscious one? I very much doubt it, but his way of attacking the problem is to belittle it, to ignore it, to destroy a more useful discussion: If <insert a number here> percent of the stories are true, then ALL men should be locked in or whatever his ridiculous suggestion is. It's a non-argument, it's just destructive.

Nobel laureates in management is a nice way of dodging what I was saying, btw, Sir Les. I don't know how this works at your workplace, and I don't pretend to. I think you may well have a point, in your context, but as for equality, your workplace does not tell the whole story.

There's no equality yet, IMHO.

It is a good way of dodging it. Part of the good reason it was a good way of dodging it, is that I was not talking about Noble laureates and I think it had little to do with management and the connection you wanted to ale I was not seeing. It was me saying "OK so we are talking about management or laureates?"

I personally would never be a politician. I chose not to go down this path. Were I to, I would imagine I have to completely change my values and morality. I would have to build a skill set I do not have and probably become someone that the "me" of today would not have the time of day for.
I could not imagine the concessions I would need to make to move into management. It would not work for me.
I could name many more things too that for a variety of reasons, I would not chose to pursue.
BUT it is worth noting that IF I chose not to and if i am not prepared to play the game, I can not then complain that I was never "let in".
Exams do not have to get easier to take, the students have to learn what to answer, how to answer, and in what format. If they chose not to or not to learn to conform within this, they suffer a consequence.

Sportsmen? Ditto.

People seeking out management opportunities? Yes.

What if the thought of going to schmooze with the big boss after work on a Friday is a bit off in your opinion? What if you place more merit on teamwork than individual competitiveness? What if the thought of monthly golf bores you stupid? What if you do not feel like knifing your fellow managers in the back to earn the favour or to rise on someone else's fall from grace? What if you do not see the workers as a faceless mass of automatons (rather than individuals)? What if you were not ego driven and selfish?

Well I would gauge this all, if not playing the game, at least limiting yourself in success attaining or rising in management. If you think that a woman or two having drinks with an almost exclusive male gathering, after work is going to be something that a lot of women would feel comfortable with doing on a regular basis, I think you may be right. BUT if that is the game and men in the same position would NOT feel uncomfortable, then making a case to change this to suit the party that may be uncomfortable is probably not reasonable.

If the effect of this is to weed out people that will not fit the game and only the most committed, men or women are left to play, then I do no pretend it is gender inequality nor do I suppose it is an inclusive way of doing things. It is simply making it very difficult for all but the people who are prepared to do or cope with all the bullshit to join the upper echelons of management. The elite.

Screw the Elite, I will not get there. But then I would not want a part of it anyhow.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2013, 07:36:13 AM »
The reason to talk about Nobel Laureates is because unlike the management, they actually do something worthwhile. If similar rules are operating there that operate among politicians, then there is a problem.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2013, 09:16:43 AM »
C'mon, can't you see DFGL being behind some of those stories? That's the sort of behavior that causes problems. Not everyday guys going about their lives and flirting with girls.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you're trying to say in this part, Py. Can you paraphrase?

You said if even half those stories were true, men were evil and dangerous savages. I pointed out one example of a man whose behavior could have been part of a story like that. As in, there are jackasses out there, not so far from home. It wasn't any more precise a point than that - but then your points haven't been too precise either.

Because the human condition isn't precise, honey. That's why I also said lets throw out these borglike social justice movements and fight together, as people who love one another.
I will never stop...

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2013, 09:25:10 AM »
I very much doubt it, but his way of attacking the problem is to belittle it, to ignore it, to destroy a more useful discussion: If <insert a number here> percent of the stories are true, then ALL men should be locked in or whatever his ridiculous suggestion is. It's a non-argument, it's just destructive.

We disagree. I think the divisive bullshit is destructive, and that includes massive smear campaigns on the part of both genders against the other, lying about statistics, etc. I think that's extremely childish. It reminds me of when I was a little boy and some challenge came up, and some kid would always yell: "BOYS AGANST THE GIRLS" or "GIRLS AGAINST THE BOYS"

Its ridiculous, man. ;)

percent of the stories are true, then ALL men should be locked in or whatever his ridiculous suggestion is.

Whether you want to believe it or not, that's what a lot of third wave feminists and "pro-feminists" would say now. Really.

You know what I think wouldn't be destructive? If we didn't have Feminists and MRAs anymore, and got along with each other like big boys and girls. I think that would be pretty productive, wouldn't it? :LOL:
I will never stop...

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2013, 12:12:52 PM »
Because the human condition isn't precise, honey. That's why I also said lets throw out these borglike social justice movements and fight together, as people who love one another.

Honey?  :LOL:

You said you want friends that fight you. I guess that doesn't include debating, huh? I can be all benevolent and agreeing, but then what's left to say? You had a problem with a bunch of random people on the internet talking about getting almost assaulted. Maybe they're talking about stuff that's no big deal to someone a little older, but the one you quoted was a thirteen-year-old kid. Let them have their newness! You can build yourself up without tearing other people down.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2013, 12:14:02 PM »
Oh wait, this is the same guy who had his first time around that age, isn't it? And doesn't remember it properly?  :orly:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2013, 05:33:51 PM »
Ouch.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2013, 07:13:13 PM »

Honey?  :LOL:

You said you want friends that fight you. I guess that doesn't include debating, huh? I can be all benevolent and agreeing, but then what's left to say? You had a problem with a bunch of random people on the internet talking about getting almost assaulted. Maybe they're talking about stuff that's no big deal to someone a little older, but the one you quoted was a thirteen-year-old kid. Let them have their newness! You can build yourself up without tearing other people down.

No debate is fine. I like to fight. You know this, Py. I'm a rough man.  :green:

And yes, many of those bs stories are told by children, and Tumblr feminism consists of mostly children also. Very true. I don't have to like to see kids beginning to emulate behavior that is one of the main things that causes war and has stopped us from already colonizing other planets and curing cancer and shit though. I'll be annoyed with them and bop them on the head for it.

I'm not really doing that to you guys here, just bringing it to your attention. But I did stimulate debate, didn't I?  :laugh:

Oh wait, this is the same guy who had his first time around that age, isn't it? And doesn't remember it properly?  :orly:

LOL. Nice.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:18:06 PM by RageBeoulve »
I will never stop...