Author Topic: Goddamn this shit is annoying.  (Read 1647 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Goddamn this shit is annoying.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 03:09:37 PM »
I always wished I wasn't fucking dyscalculic.

Aside from more mundane day to day needs, Lack of almost all math really holds me back from being able to better understand a lot of the quantum physics and particle physics concepts I find interesting

Unfortunately quantum physics is an area that requires a decent understanding of mathematics. Without maths it becomes very philosophical and counter-intuitive in nature.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 07:49:13 AM »
Had to do a lot of algebra like that to work out t-tests, ANOVAs, etc. when I was doing a stats class. I am pretty shit at maths so it was a surprise that I passed.

It is when they talk about unknown numbers and stuff like that, that I get a headache. I don't like stuff to be unknown. ;)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 05:31:49 PM »

Aside from more mundane day to day needs, Lack of almost all math really holds me back from being able to better understand a lot of the quantum physics and particle physics concepts I find interesting

Unfortunately quantum physics is an area that requires a decent understanding of mathematics. Without maths it becomes very philosophical and counter-intuitive in nature.

Without mathematics, it's still theory, comprehensible theory but without the theoretic equations is still comprehensible.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 07:07:40 PM »

Without mathematics, it's still theory, comprehensible theory but without the theoretic equations is still comprehensible.

Comprehensible, but impossible to test. One could develop theories till the cows come home, but without knowing how to crunch some numbers, there isn't a way to prove a thing. Especially since most of the things the theory is based on are too small to detect.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 12:15:36 AM »

If you say so. I'd go nuts over the stuff that gave the theory its name. It's the counter-intuitive part to me.

It's a bit like the general theory of relativity and speeds approaching the speed of light. There are lots of thought experiments involving classical mechanics applied on relativistic speeds, "proving" that there is no such limit. All wrong.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 12:19:31 AM »

Comprehensible, but impossible to test. One could develop theories till the cows come home, but without knowing how to crunch some numbers, there isn't a way to prove a thing. Especially since most of the things the theory is based on are too small to detect.

Quite the contrary. There are easy ways of confirming quantum physics phenomena.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 12:59:27 AM »

Your statements contradict each others. I almost agree. It's impossible to truly prove things on the atomic level, numbers or not. Proof has nothing to do with understanding. 

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 01:05:48 AM »

If you say so. I'd go nuts over the stuff that gave the theory its name. It's the counter-intuitive part to me.

It's a bit like the general theory of relativity and speeds approaching the speed of light. There are lots of thought experiments involving classical mechanics applied on relativistic speeds, "proving" that there is no such limit. All wrong.

That's just because you've studied physics from a mathematical perspective. Have read about relativity quite a bit and having a decent grasp, but what made me truly comprehend it was a brief youtube designed for children. Because of a simple visual aide, I truly understand what happens to a photon at speeds of light, and if you tell me I don't simply because I haven't studied calculus, I'll be irritated with you.

TheoK

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 02:10:18 AM »

Quite the contrary. There are easy ways of confirming quantum physics phenomena.

They could actually prove many phenomena already during Einstein's own lifetime.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 02:21:30 AM »
What's been proven at the quantum level?

TheoK

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 02:26:59 AM »
For instance that light behaves like particles and a wave: double slit experiment

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 02:39:17 AM »
For instance that light behaves like particles and a wave: double slit experiment

Very good, Lit. I glazed over the math part. I have to wake up and go to work in two hours. I'll read it again tomorrow. :)

TheoK

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 02:41:11 AM »
Litigatus est vir doctus  :M

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2013, 02:57:42 AM »
Indeed. understood the article without the math, and wont argue about words like 'demonstrating the fundamentally probabilistic', because it's a really good example of as close at it probably gets.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2013, 10:10:16 AM »

You wot m8? Besides smashing particles together at the speed of light, i'm pretty sure there isn't a way to plumb those depths.

Tell me your secretses.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"