Educational

Author Topic: IF Obamacare is defunded, THEN I will........  (Read 1210 times)

Offline BUBBASAURUS_RAEP

• Constant Poster
IF Obamacare is defunded, THEN I will........
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:31:06 PM »
I don't read the NY Times but a few weeks ago I noticed the cover story while waiting in line @ my favorite cafe that mentioned a man who needed a pacemaker replaced. These days, pacemakers use lithium iodide batteries with a maximum lifespan of 14 years instead of producing plutonium-238 which has a half life of 88 years(no need to replace them for the average human lifespan).  His HMO was run by 7th day Adventists, who gave him an estimate of $135,000 for the procedure. He didn't have nearly that kind of money so he went to Belgium(which has nationalized health care) and got it done for $32,000.

So mark my words:

If Obamacare is defunded and the USofA returns to the same old health care system it has, then if I get sick or injured and need expen$ive lifesaving medical treatment that my insurance won't pay for, I will travel to a country with socialized medicine to get it done cheaper. I  urge those who can afford to do so to boycott the uhmurcan free market when it comes to medical treatment. You WILL save big bucks!

Discuss~

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: IF Obamacare is defunded, THEN I will........
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 10:39:25 PM »
Cuba is a lot closer to you.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline BUBBASAURUS_RAEP

• Constant Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 10:44:41 PM »
Cuba is a lot closer to you.

And a LOT harder to get into! But don't worry, I certainly won't be coming to the UK. I think I'll goto Sweden if I need neurological treatment since they recognize that embryos are just hollow balls of cells and aren't deserving of the same basic rights as actual humans with functioning brains are. Canada is closer to where I live than Cuba and much easier to get into. Thanks for your advice, but I'll pass.  :green:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 10:52:23 PM »
Cuba's got good health care, that's all I'm saying. I don't know about Canada's.

The quality of Sweden's health care is generally OK, but the system is burdened by bureaucracy. That pacemaker battery might kill you while you are waiting in line.

It's easy to get flu shots and emergency care, but chronic conditions are a pain. A persistent migraine can take years to follow up, after the initial CAT scan to rule out a brain tumour that is frequently done as part of the ER checkup. Bad hip, even worse.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline BUBBASAURUS_RAEP

• Constant Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 11:02:45 PM »
Cuba's got good health care, that's all I'm saying. I don't know about Canada's.

The quality of Sweden's health care is generally OK, but the system is burdened by bureaucracy. That pacemaker battery might kill you while you are waiting in line.

It's easy to get flu shots and emergency care, but chronic conditions are a pain. A persistent migraine can take years to follow up, after the initial CAT scan to rule out a brain tumour that is frequently done as part of the ER checkup. Bad hip, even worse.

I admit that I don't know much about Cuba's health care system. But given that Canada is closer and easier to get into I'd go there first since it's only a few hours away. I'd only go to Sweden for treatment of a neurological condition since they have far more advanced treatments available than the US. But that pacemaker battery would kill me if I couldn't cough up the cash for it here @ home.

When there is a monopoly, companies can charge an arm, a leg, and even a heart because a corporation's incentive is to maximize its profits. Once they have your money, they really don't give a shit what happens to you.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 11:07:52 PM »

I admit that I don't know much about Cuba's health care system. But given that Canada is closer and easier to get into I'd go there first since it's only a few hours away. I'd only go to Sweden for treatment of a neurological condition since they have far more advanced treatments available than the US. But that pacemaker battery would kill me if I couldn't cough up the cash for it here @ home.

When there is a monopoly, companies can charge an arm, a leg, and even a heart because a corporation's incentive is to maximize its profits. Once they have your money, they really don't give a shit what happens to you.

With nationalised health care, the powers that be are still interested in staying within budgets. Look at what's happening with the NHS in the UK.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 05:38:03 AM »
If only someone here had thought of that before now. :zoinks:

Odeon: Cuba and the US are still not on good terms.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

TheoK

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 06:03:02 AM »
Fatty fat Americans can't buy Havanna cigars  :M

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 06:09:49 AM »

Fatty fat Americans can spell "Havana" (or "Habana"). :M

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 06:51:14 AM »
Just had my teeth fixed in Thailand instead of Australia for $2500 rather than $7000. Win
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

TheoK

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 06:52:46 AM »

Americans spelling correctly? You don't even have the keys to spell many Europan geographical names  :hahaha:

How do you type: Göteborg, Malmö, Västerås, Örebro, München, Nürnberg, Düsseldorf etc with an English keyboard?  :M

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 07:21:22 AM »

Americans spelling correctly? You don't even have the keys to spell many Europan geographical names  :hahaha:

How do you type: Göteborg, Malmö, Västerås, Örebro, München, Nürnberg, Düsseldorf etc with an English keyboard?  :M

Ignore the pretentious European umlauts. :arrr: :pirateship:

Offline BUBBASAURUS_RAEP

• Constant Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 08:18:36 AM »

With nationalised health care, the powers that be are still interested in staying within budgets. Look at what's happening with the NHS in the UK.

Nationalized health care is free for citizens but costs money for foreigners. So ironically, foreign patients who pay money generate additional revenue for nationalized health care systems.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 10:17:27 AM »

Nationalized health care is free for citizens but costs money for foreigners. So ironically, foreign patients who pay money generate additional revenue for nationalized health care systems.

Do you have enough money for a plane ticket?
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline BUBBASAURUS_RAEP

• Constant Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 12:35:48 PM »

Do you have enough money for a plane ticket?

YUP!   ;)

Or I could just drive up to Canuckistan and have it down there. Medical tourism generates additional revenue for nationalized healthcare. Of course you, being a diehard nationalist, would prefer to pay more because you think it's "patriotic".   :hahaha: