Educational

Author Topic: Monsanto is getting way out of hand.  (Read 486 times)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Monsanto is getting way out of hand.
« on: September 26, 2013, 09:27:47 AM »
They're getting so bad, that even John stewart has time to make fun of it.

http://www.upworthy.com/hard-working-monsanto-lawyers-need-your-help-standing-up-to-american-farmers?c=ufb1
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
Re: Monsanto is getting way out of hand.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 10:22:29 AM »
Money in politics, man.  That's what this is.  If they can corrupt the legislative process, how hard is it to corrupt the judicial process?

Student's creed: everything is due, and nothing is submitted

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 10:28:22 AM »
That percentage is scary to me. A single company now owns over 90% of agricultural yields, but farmers still have to work their own property as slaves? Thats insane, man.
I will never stop...

TheoK

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »
Monsanto should own nothing. The farmers should be independent.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 10:42:13 AM »
Monsanto should own nothing. The farmers should be independent.

Especially since they have put generations of back breaking work into farming that land and getting it to yield. Monsato just came along and infected their crops with their stupid GMO seeds which apparently have only been modified to be weed killer resistant! What a coincidence btw, that before they started these activities, they snuck in laws that would make this behavior acceptable.
I will never stop...

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 01:44:33 PM »
Oh snap.

In its short-term government-funding bill, the US Senate will propose an end to a budget provision that protects genetically-modified seeds from litigation despite possible health risks.

Called “The Monsanto Protection Act” by opponents, the budget rider shields biotech behemoths like Monsanto, Cargill and others from the threat of lawsuits and bars federal courts from intervening to force an end to the sale of a GMO (genetically-modified organism) even if the genetically-engineered product causes damaging health effects.

The US House of Representatives approved a three-month extension to the rider in their own short-term FY14 Continuing Resolution spending bill, which was approved last week by the lower chamber.

The Senate version of the legislation will make clear the provision expires on Sept. 30, the end of the current fiscal year.

“That provision will be gone,” Sen. Mark Pryor (D-Ark.) told Politico.

Full article:   http://rt.com/usa/monsanto-protection-senate-budget-303/

Does this mean that the Monsanto mafia can no longer own all our food and the products farmers worked so hard over generations to raise? I dunno. Hey lion, help me out.
I will never stop...

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »
That percentage is scary to me. A single company now owns over 90% of agricultural yields, but farmers still have to work their own property as slaves? Thats insane, man.

Microsoft has a similar market share in terms of computers.  Despite the loud and obnoxious "free-market" movement, capitalism seems to have no problem with extreme market consolidation.  Where is the freedom in a market controlled by a single bureaucracy?  Is it free because that bureaucracy is separate from a democratic state and is not accountable to voters? 

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 03:31:39 PM »
Mm. The problem is, Monsanto has conned their way into owning people's agricultural yields. Meaning these people are "allowed" to farm land which their families have worked for generations, and Monsanto claims a large chunk of the profits just "because".

Sound familiar? Kind of like Plantations? And slave owners?
I will never stop...

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 04:05:32 PM »
Mm. The problem is, Monsanto has conned their way into owning people's agricultural yields. Meaning these people are "allowed" to farm land which their families have worked for generations, and Monsanto claims a large chunk of the profits just "because".

That's kind of how capitalism works.  You had a similar situation with coal miners in the late nineteenth/early twentieth century.  Workers were intentionally underpaid, and paid in certificates that could only be redeemed at the company store.  What's worse, the goods at the company store were marked up specifically so that the workers would go into debt to the company.  Nowadays, corporations lobby hard to keep the minimum wage below subsistence, and instruct their workers in how to gain public assistance.  But this is not farmers. 

In particular, farmers are being dispossessed by means of gene patents.  The patent entitles Monsanto to charge a "licensing fee" to anyone who raises seeds with the patented gene, including plants that have been fertilized by wind-blown pollen.  According to Food Inc. they've also been putting seed washers out of business using the same methods; you can't use Monsanto seed that came from a plant you grew without paying the license fee again.  Seed washers therefore violate the patent just by existing in a community where Monsanto has fields.  Monsanto also writes contracts that keep farmers locked into Monsanto patronage. 

It actually has more in common with the "debt slavery" of coal miners I mentioned above than racial chattel, but both are much more similar to chattel than they are to the warm and fuzzy "invisible hand" of competition that we've been raised to believe in. 

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 04:06:42 PM »
almighty

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 04:57:25 PM »
Misunderstood.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 06:57:54 PM »

That's kind of how capitalism works.  You had a similar situation with coal miners in the late nineteenth/early twentieth century.  Workers were intentionally underpaid, and paid in certificates that could only be redeemed at the company store.  What's worse, the goods at the company store were marked up specifically so that the workers would go into debt to the company.  Nowadays, corporations lobby hard to keep the minimum wage below subsistence, and instruct their workers in how to gain public assistance.  But this is not farmers. 

In particular, farmers are being dispossessed by means of gene patents.  The patent entitles Monsanto to charge a "licensing fee" to anyone who raises seeds with the patented gene, including plants that have been fertilized by wind-blown pollen.  According to Food Inc. they've also been putting seed washers out of business using the same methods; you can't use Monsanto seed that came from a plant you grew without paying the license fee again.  Seed washers therefore violate the patent just by existing in a community where Monsanto has fields.  Monsanto also writes contracts that keep farmers locked into Monsanto patronage. 

It actually has more in common with the "debt slavery" of coal miners I mentioned above than racial chattel, but both are much more similar to chattel than they are to the warm and fuzzy "invisible hand" of competition that we've been raised to believe in.

I thought that capitalist was basically the free enterprise of companies in competition with each other. This is a wonderful idea, because opposing factions constantly generate new content.

What monsanto does is infect the market with itself with government support, and eliminate all competition. I thought that was like.. the opposite of capitalism.
I will never stop...

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 07:23:38 PM »

I thought that capitalist was basically the free enterprise of companies in competition with each other. This is a wonderful idea, because opposing factions constantly generate new content.

What monsanto does is infect the market with itself with government support, and eliminate all competition. I thought that was like.. the opposite of capitalism.

That's the dogma it uses to justify itself.  But that's not what it puts into practice. 

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 07:42:34 PM »
Well its not like we're putting a puzzle together, choosing predistinguished pieces with "capitalism", "communism", etc written on them. The idea is just fine. The problem is that we've been playing with our genitals too long to notice our nice model has been populated by a bunch of criminals and psychopaths.
I will never stop...

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 08:52:47 PM »
Well its not like we're putting a puzzle together, choosing predistinguished pieces with "capitalism", "communism", etc written on them. The idea is just fine. The problem is that we've been playing with our genitals too long to notice our nice model has been populated by a bunch of criminals and psychopaths.

Corporate bureaucrats don't play with their own genitals.  They get other people to do it.