Author Topic: Life for women in Iraq ten years after...much worse  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: Life for women in Iraq ten years after...much worse
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2013, 07:19:22 PM »
I can't accept that, jack. Freedom is the only decent option. Ever.

Not sure what you inferred, but there's some misunderstanding. Never meant to imply otherwise. Of course they should have their freedom. It's simply the way things work. It's the only way oppression is ever overcome.

So you agree that the oppressors must be imprisoned for life/killed. Right?
Imprisoned, yes.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2013, 07:19:30 PM »
I got no interest in attacking men.

In fact, apportioning blame seems pointless and possibly impossible due to the complex number of factors responsible.

That does not mean ignoring it is right either.   I do believe that I am part of a nation who elected a government who, along with other nations, naively executed a war which directly or indirectly amplified the misery of the lives of these people.    That is so huge I can't ignore or forget it.

I have no idea how best to put things right.  Probably impossible to do so.

Acknowledgement and an effort to look much closer at decisions affecting Iraq is something to work towards, I suppose.  At least that should be possible.  It would be a start. 
blah blah blah

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2013, 07:21:05 PM »
Humans are strange.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2013, 07:22:32 PM »
Humans are strange.

Yes. But I do kinda like them :laugh:

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »
The founding statement of OWFI contains a mandate in six points :

To put in place a humanist law founded on equality and the assurance of the greatest freedom for women, and to abolish all forms of discriminatory laws;
    To separate religion from the government and education;
    To put an end to all forms of violence against women and honour killings, and to push for punishment for the murderers of women;
    To abolish mandatory wearing of veils, the veil for children and to protect freedom of dress;
    To put in place the equal participation of women and men in all social, economic, administrative and political spheres, at every level;
    To abolish gender segregation in schools at all levels.

blah blah blah

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2013, 07:25:07 PM »

In fact, apportioning blame seems pointless and possibly impossible due to the complex number of factors responsible.

That does not mean ignoring it is right either.   I do believe that I am part of a nation who elected a government who, along with other nations, naively executed a war which directly or indirectly amplified the misery of the lives of these people.    That is so huge I can't ignore or forget it.

Acknowledgement and an effort to look much closer at decisions affecting Iraq is something to work towards, I suppose.  At least that should be possible.  It would be a start.

The solution is to drop all the "cultural guilt" issues, professional victimism, nanny state/giant government trends, etc. In my opinion, all first world countries should stop becoming so weak and flaccid, and return to accepting personal responsibility on an individual level, performing with only excellence in everything that we do, and treating one another with respect and admiration.

As America stands now, the average citizen will be in diapers and fed through a tube in a few short years, only speaking or moving to declare some demographic commited an injustice against theirs and calling for their government to take action. How about your country?
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2013, 07:25:29 PM »
The founding statement of OWFI contains a mandate in six points :

To put in place a humanist law founded on equality and the assurance of the greatest freedom for women, and to abolish all forms of discriminatory laws;
    To separate religion from the government and education;
    To put an end to all forms of violence against women and honour killings, and to push for punishment for the murderers of women;
    To abolish mandatory wearing of veils, the veil for children and to protect freedom of dress;
    To put in place the equal participation of women and men in all social, economic, administrative and political spheres, at every level;
    To abolish gender segregation in schools at all levels.
I hope they mean that.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2013, 07:29:19 PM »

There's no way to take a closer look at those decisions. The UN aren't exactly the full disclosure transcript type.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2013, 07:49:43 PM »

The solution is to drop all the "cultural guilt" issues, professional victimism, nanny state/giant government trends, etc. In my opinion, all first world countries should stop becoming so weak and flaccid, and return to accepting personal responsibility on an individual level, performing with only excellence in everything that we do, and treating one another with respect and admiration.

As America stands now, the average citizen will be in diapers and fed through a tube in a few short years, only speaking or moving to declare some demographic commited an injustice against theirs and calling for their government to take action. How about your country?

I think it was a big fuck up.  All who participated should say so, openly.  Even the big guns like the UN.

The decisions made, like the installation of the interim government of Iraq were clearly ill thought out.  Like the proportions of sunni muslims, Kurds etc.  The complexities of sectarianism was, IMO, misunderstood and caused further unrest.

The subsequent decisions made by this 'new government' have made matters worse.  Decisions like making 'pleasure marriages' legal,  the reintroduction of Sharia law which blatantly makes women second class citizens, are all examples of this giant fuck up.

We can't turn the clock back, but I think  by acknowledging and talking about it, it makes it less likely to happen in the future.

Sure, folks will say "casualties of war, get over it" and I am sure people will point out the suffering of bygone wars too.  That is not progress.
blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2013, 07:52:10 PM »

Sure, folks will say "casualties of war, get over it" and I am sure people will point out the suffering of bygone wars too.  That is not progress.

One only needs look at bygone progress.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »

There's no way to take a closer look at those decisions. The UN aren't exactly the full disclosure transcript type.

They won't unless pressured.  They still might not anyway.  So at least 'try' ?

blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2013, 07:57:37 PM »

Really liking this one.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2013, 07:58:37 PM »

They won't unless pressured.  They still might not anyway.  So at least 'try' ?

Not really sure what you're saying.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »

One only needs look at bygone progress.

One only needs look at bygone progress to know it's not worth bothering.

or

One only needs look at bygone progress to know we need to keep trying.

>:D
blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2013, 08:02:29 PM »
One only needs to look at bygone progress to know it comes from bygone suffering. :laugh: