Author Topic: Historical precedent for current "alarming" political shit  (Read 548 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Historical precedent for current "alarming" political shit
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 05:12:43 AM »
Here's another example that comes to mind- this one's not so much a past vs. future issue as it is an "other vs. self" issue:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_concentration_and_internment_camps

Funny how I remember US history classes focusing a whole hell of a lot more on what the other guys did than the shit we did to trample human rights.

I'm not so much trying to question whether we're getting "better" because I don't think that's actually a common notion.  I'm wondering if the world's really getting all that much worse.

Honestly, I think overall some things may be improving, but the world's still horrifically broken.  In the US, slavery is (on the books) illegal, segregation is (on the books) illegal, and gay marriage is becoming more and more accepted- yay!  Now, if only most of our clothing and gadgets didn't come from child slave labor, and if only it wasn't still implicitly socially sanctioned here for gang rapes to happen in fratboy-jock-dudebro culture, and if only our culture wasn't about as good as it gets for sexual safety, worldwide.

it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 05:56:17 AM »
I sort of wonder if some of the stuff we're treating as "new" is really the same stuff with a new face, and the issue in viewing it as "new" is a plain and simple lack of knowledge.

The stuff in the US now with the Patriot Act, the NSA, and the stripping away of freedoms...

...what about when you could be arrested or detained for being a "communist" or a "communist sympathizer?"

The constant fear of terrorism, bombs, and drone strikes (I still fail to see how much worse drones are than the status quo, by the way)...

...what about the cold war?  Did we forget the cold war already?

The ability to hold prisoners indefinitely without trial (remember that, a year or two ago?)...

...yeah, we TOTALLY already fucking did that.

The worry about fuel usage, the economy, and all that good shit...

...didn't we ration gasoline a few decades back?  Haven't there been other "recessions" since the great depression?

Any other examples folks can think of, or elaborate on?

How about this one?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 07:51:24 AM »
Yep. I don't really know what to do for that.
step 1: slap them (hard) across the face.
kinky.
two birds one stone.
Get their attention.
Arouse their libidos.
Misunderstood.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 10:11:54 AM »
Yep. I don't really know what to do for that.
step 1: slap them (hard) across the face.
kinky.
two birds one stone.
Get their attention.
Arouse their libidos.
If arousing their libidos doesn't automatically get their attention, you're doing it wrong.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.