Author Topic: Get the buycott app  (Read 798 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Get the buycott app
« on: June 10, 2013, 03:42:08 PM »
Article:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/buycott-review/

One of the great things about mobile tech is the amount of information that it puts in the palm of your hand. It’s time you put that power to good use. There’s no denying that large corporations have a wide-reaching and seemingly unavoidable impact on many parts of our lives, and even if your personal agenda doesn’t match up with that of a company, you still push forward their causes when you purchase their products. Being more socially responsible and spending your money on companies that aim to forward the causes you believe in, no matter what they are, is one of the best ways to be more influential without actually casting a vote or supporting a political candidate. Buycott aims to make it easier for you to be aware of where your money goes. In essence, it lets you vote with your wallet. Or it aims to, at least.

Buycott serves two separate but equally important functions: It informs you about the companies that are behind a given product, and it allows you to set causes you believe in to help you determine what to buy and what to avoid. The first of those functions takes place when you scan an item’s barcode with your phone’s camera. After you scan an item, Buycott searches its database to provide you with as much information as it possibly can about the maker of it. You get everything from contact information – phone numbers, emails, social media accounts, and headquarters location – to a family tree that lists off all related companies and shows you how they are connected. This is probably one of the most eye-opening areas of Buycott. Seeing big companies all laid out with the dots connecting them back to one another shows you just how small the corporate business world really is.

Before you dismiss Buycott as some hippy-friendly, liberal agenda app for communists, remember there’s something here for everyone.

Aside from company information, Buycott will also tell you a product’s status in ‘campaigns.’ Campaigns serve as a way for you to determine what is important to you. There is a wide range of campaigns you can join. There are trending groups, ones that are currently popular and drawing in members, or you can search through campaigns that fall into a variety of categories from animal welfare to economic justice to human rights. There is some overlap between groups – you’ll see quite a few dedicated to demanding GMO (genetically modified) labeling, for example – but it’s easy to see which campaigns have more complete lists of companies to support and avoid.
Now, before you dismiss Buycott as some hippy-friendly, liberal agenda app for communists, remember that there’s something here to fit anyone’s agenda. Under the “Social Responsibility” category, there is a campaign called “Avoid Koch Industries,” which aims to point people away from Koch owned companies because of “their mission [to place] profits before our communities, our environment, and our democracy.” On the same list is a “Support Koch Industries Campaign” that backs the corporation because the brothers “have generiously donated millions of dollars to libertarian, fiscal conservative, and limited government causes.” There are campaigns pushing for stricter gun control and ones dedicated to supporting the Second Amendment. You can probably find your side of an issue somewhere within Buycott’s campaigns.

As it turns out, election day isn’t the only time we can make a difference. It’s things like your weekly trip to the grocery store or where you stop to get your morning coffee that can sway some of the social issues that we deal with during the election cycles. If you want to support gay marriage, push for fair labor wages, or encourage American-made products, do it with your dollar during every transaction you make. Buycott is a must have app for anyone who is politically active or just wants to stop giving money to companies that push agendas that they wouldn’t support personally. Vote with your wallet by shopping with your phone.
Misunderstood.

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
Re: Get the buycott app
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 03:48:06 PM »
man, that just leads to a lot of decisions. 

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 04:29:23 PM »
Why bother?  Shop at Goodwill and grow your own food.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »

It is so much easier to let rich people do the thinking for us all. :laugh:
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 04:50:10 PM »
Its a good idea but not for people in my income bracket. I can't afford to be picky about what causes the products I buy come from.
:skywarp:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 07:00:45 PM »
Its a good idea but not for people in my income bracket. I can't afford to be picky about what causes the products I buy come from.
theyve won.  They force the slave to shop at the company store. To rent their apartments. To vote for their candidates.
What do you believe in?
Convenience?
Misunderstood.

Offline Bastet

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »
theyve won.  They force the slave to shop at the company store. To rent their apartments. To vote for their candidates.
What do you believe in?
Convenience?

I am dowloading this app. I am sick of enabling the filthy rich.

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 07:14:52 PM »
What do you believe in?
Convenience?

thank you. Every little bit helps.
Misunderstood.

Offline Jesse

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 07:19:48 PM »
What do you believe in?
Convenience?
I don't believe in anything really. I don't think this machine will ever be stopped now

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »
What do you believe in?
Convenience?
I don't believe in anything really. I don't think this machine will ever be stopped now
quitting is your solution
Misunderstood.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
What do you believe in?
Convenience?

I don't even have a phone that uses Apps.  I figure people who have such highfalutin devices are filthy rich.

Offline Bastet

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 09:10:45 PM »
What do you believe in?
Convenience?

I don't even have a phone that uses Apps.  I figure people who have such highfalutin devices are filthy rich.

Yuh. It would be nice if it were available on most phones. I can't download it on my phone.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 09:14:30 PM »
For those of us who are not filthy rich and can't afford a Kindle, Amazon will let you download the Kindle software to your computer cost free.  I've done it and use it for free books (usually on frugal subjects) from Amazon.

Offline Jesse

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 10:28:59 PM »
What do you believe in?
Convenience?
quitting is your solution
I practice not doing, yes. :yoda:

Its best for me to let the world turn out the way it will. there's no reason to get so emotionally invested in something doomed.  :laugh:

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 09:25:47 AM »

It is so much easier to let rich people do the thinking for us all. :laugh:

because those are the only two options  :LOL: