Educational

Author Topic: Good riddance to bad rubbish  (Read 1692 times)

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
Re: Good riddance to bad rubbish
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »
One man's trash is another man's treasure ~Not sure who said it.

Just say it's an old proverb and you don't have specify who said it. ;)
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 05:00:57 PM »
One man's trash is another man's treasure ~Not sure who said it.

Just say it's an old proverb and you don't have specify who said it. ;)

Jack, check this out (the answer number 3 is particularly intriguing):
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/60429/origin-of-one-mans-trash-is-another-mans-treasure

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2013, 05:04:09 PM »
Paste the answer to number three for me.

P7PSP

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2013, 05:07:31 PM »
Isn't "bad" "rubbish" a bit of an oxymoron?
No because an oxymoron combines contradictory terms together. Bad rubbish is more akin to redundancy.

^OOPS! Redundant is what I meant.

LOL.
It happens to us all.  :laugh:

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2013, 05:08:30 PM »
My honest opinion is I like scrapheap. I even defended him on Wp some time ago, when It was clear he was banned for really dumb reasons. This latest hissy fit was expected however, I'm sure he has a pattern of behavior of doing this. which, ok. but atleast learn from your mistakes, and grow as a person. I expect this kind of behavior from a teenager or some really immature adult, obviously scrap is the latter
:skywarp:

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »
Paste the answer to number three for me.

(You really don't say please very much do you? :P )

"The earliest example I found in Google Books is in Hector Urquhart's introduction to 1860's Popular Tales of the West Highlands:

Practical men may despise the tales, earnest men condemn them as lies, some even consider them wicked ; one refused to write any more for a whole estate ; my best friend says they are all ' blethers.' But one man's rubbish may be another's treasure, and what is the standard of value in such a pursuit as this?

The concept of something having contradictory qualities to different people has been around a long time. "One man's meat is another man's poison" was a 17th century proverb.

Though clearly not the origin of such concepts, here are some 17th-18th century versions. The 1703 The Athenian Oracle: Being an Entire Collection of all the Valuable Questions and Answers in the Old Athenian Mercuries refers to both One's man's pleasure is another's pain and a proverb One's man's meat is another's poison. This book is a bound publication of The Athenian Mercury which ran from 1690 to 1697.

It refers to them in an answer discussing these contrasts and our "perception of what's agreeable to our Natures", or disagreeable. The same could apply to trash/treasure.

Q. What's Pleasure ? What's Pain ?

A. We Answer to both, that 'tis not easie to describe 'em, tho' so easie to know 'em -- and perhaps generally speaking, the more sensible and obvious any thing is, the more a Man may be to seek for a clear Philosophical Notion of it; Science being many removes from singular and sensible Objects, tho' grounded upon them. Besides, what's one man's pleasure is, another's pain, or according to the Proverb, Meat, Poison, and so of the other Senses -- And agen, Pleasure is certainly in some Cases, nothing but Privation of Pain (as Ease after a violent Fit of the of the Stone or Tooth.ach) and the very formality of Pain generally made something Privative or Negative, namely the absence of what's good or pleasant. For a general Description of'em both, which may reach all the Species, and include both body and Mind, we think this following may do -— Pleasure is a perception of what's agreeable to our Natures ---- and Pain, just the contrary, of what's disagreeable or inconvenient -— If any say, this is no more than Pleasur' pleasure, and Pain is pain, we would be oblig'd to them for a more clear and general notion of both those Affections than we have here given.

Just a few years later in 1706 is Several sermons upon the fifth of St. Matthew:

That a thing which is a Sin to one is a Blessing to anther, no more than we count it a Solecism to say, that what is one Man's Meat is another Man's Poison.

And the next year, 1707's A General Treatise of Monies and Exchanges three times gives us a similar phrase to the junk:treasure comparison, in the context of the net wealth of the nation/kingdom/commonwealth remaining the same:
... one private Man's loss in that Case is another private Man's Profit, ...

for one Man's loss becones another Man's Gain;

Very true, Sir, one Man's loss is another Man's Profit;

Some other variations from the early 18th century:

• William De Britaine's 1717 Humane Prudence: "One Man's Fault is another Man's Lesson"

Daniel Defoe's 1719 The life and surprising adventures of Robinson Crusoe of York, mariner: "Thus, what is one man's safety is another man's destruction"

Thomas Brown, James Drake, Aristaenetus' 1720 The Works of Mr. Thomas Brown: "One Man's oversight is always another's Gane."

Nicholas Brady's 1730 Several Sermons: "Estates here often shift their Landlords, and what is one Man's to Day1 is another's To-morrow;"

William Ellis's 1737 The London and country brewer: "But according to the Proverb, One Man's Mistake, is another's Game."

Edward Young's 1741 Love of fame, the universal passion: "How one man's anguish is another's sport,"

A Lady's 1741 The history of Portia: "See what the World is ! one Man's Death is another Man's Joy"

Leonhard Culmann's 1741 Sententiæ pueriles: "One man's weal is another man's bane. One man's wealth is another man's plunder."
"
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 05:17:08 PM by sg1008 »

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2013, 05:19:19 PM »

No, but do say thanks. Thank you, sg. :)

It was indeed interesting; haven't ever heard those variations before.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2013, 05:28:07 PM »

No, but do say thanks. Thank you, sg. :)

It was indeed interesting; haven't ever heard those variations before.

You are most welcome.  :thumbup:

Offline El-Presidente

• Caliph of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Postwhore
  • I love kitties! Fluffy kitties are nice!!
    • ASD Community
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013, 08:27:57 AM »
No because an oxymoron combines contradictory terms together. Bad rubbish is more akin to redundancy.

LOL.

You are both wrong. The phrase is an idiom which has been used for at least two hundred years, not an error on my part.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »

LOL.

You are both wrong. The phrase is an idiom which has been used for at least two hundred years, not an error on my part.

I think it is certainly an expression that was quite well understood in Australia and very much used by my Mother and Grandmother's generation. In a real sense where reaction to some leaving that i did not like or getting rid of something i did not care for would be something like "Well thank fuck for that" or "Fuck off then" or Don't let the door his your arse on the way out" "Good riddance to bad rubbish " was an all encapturing curse, said under the breath for effect
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline El-Presidente

• Caliph of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Postwhore
  • I love kitties! Fluffy kitties are nice!!
    • ASD Community
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »

LOL.

I think it is certainly an expression that was quite well understood in Australia and very much used by my Mother and Grandmother's generation. In a real sense where reaction to some leaving that i did not like or getting rid of something i did not care for would be something like "Well thank fuck for that" or "Fuck off then" or Don't let the door his your arse on the way out" "Good riddance to bad rubbish " was an all encapturing curse, said under the breath for effect

Exactly. Maybe our seppo mates don't use the phrase.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »

LOL.

True mate. It is Funny. Americans and Aussie do share some base commonalities BUT their specific differences are more numerous. Culturally (and perhaps unsurprisingly (our accent, larrikinism, and such) is derived from origins in the citizens of poor areas of England, Scotland and Ireland. In many ways I have found often that quite often Brits more often "get" Aussies more easily. Not always but often.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »

LOL.

True mate. It is Funny. Americans and Aussie do share some base commonalities BUT their specific differences are more numerous. Culturally (and perhaps unsurprisingly (our accent, larrikinism, and such) is derived from origins in the citizens of poor areas of England, Scotland and Ireland. In many ways I have found often that quite often Brits more often "get" Aussies more easily. Not always but often.

In the US, Appalachian dialect (which I do not speak) is from poor areas of England, and Ireland, so they have a lot of ancient phrases. I think it is supposed to be one of the closest dialects to old english in the world (what peasants would have spoken on the streets).

P7PSP

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2013, 01:33:32 PM »

LOL.

It is a commonly used phrase here and I was not wrong in stating that rather than being an oxymoron it is more akin to a redundancy in response to sg.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2014, 01:14:05 PM »
Me thinks that this El-Pres puto has a man-crush on señor Scrapheap.

He makes many threads about him.

:trollface: