Author Topic: Pope Francis Says Atheists Who Do Good Are Redeemed, Not Just Catholics  (Read 701 times)

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
Pope Francis rocked some religious and atheist minds today when he declared that everyone was redeemed through Jesus, including atheists.

During his homily at Wednesday Mass in Rome, Francis emphasized the importance of "doing good" as a principle that unites all humanity, and a "culture of encounter" to support peace.

Using scripture from the Gospel of Mark, Francis explained how upset Jesus' disciples were that someone outside their group was doing good, according to a report from Vatican Radio.

“They complain,” the Pope said in his homily, because they say, “If he is not one of us, he cannot do good. If he is not of our party, he cannot do good.” And Jesus corrects them: “Do not hinder him, he says, let him do good.” The disciples, Pope Francis explains, “were a little intolerant,” closed off by the idea of ​​possessing the truth, convinced that “those who do not have the truth, cannot do good.” “This was wrong . . . Jesus broadens the horizon.” Pope Francis said, “The root of this possibility of doing good – that we all have – is in creation”

Pope Francis went further in his sermon to say:

"The Lord created us in His image and likeness, and we are the image of the Lord, and He does good and all of us have this commandment at heart: do good and do not do evil. All of us. ‘But, Father, this is not Catholic! He cannot do good.’ Yes, he can... "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone!".. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/22/pope-francis-good-atheists_n_3320757.html
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
He seems to be adopting a more Jewish outlook.  No one really knows what happens after death, how G_d judges souls.  As awful as it may seem, Hitler may have done one good deed which overcame his countless ones. Mother Theresa may be in Hell.  Not that I think these two people ended up in the places I put them.  We have no idea how G_d weighs a soul's journey through life.  You just do your best and hope.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Yep, now that atheism is starting to become and more and more widely accepted, the Pope is doing the same. It just shows that even the Pope is a product of his own world and culture.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
He seems to be adopting a more Jewish outlook.  No one really knows what happens after death, how G_d judges souls.  As awful as it may seem, Hitler may have done one good deed which overcame his countless ones. Mother Theresa may be in Hell.  Not that I think these two people ended up in the places I put them.  We have no idea how G_d weighs a soul's journey through life.  You just do your best and hope.

Mother Teresa was a bitch

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
He doesn't mention anything about  those of us who just don't do good. Being bad is often good.  :eyebrows:
blah blah blah

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Looks a bit like Rahner's "Anonymous Christianity". Rahner was a Jesuit too.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Scrapheap

This pope sure says all the right things.

Perhaps he's the real deal.

I won't go so far as to say that though, we've all been tricked before.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
He doesn't say the right things about women and gays. But other than that, yes, he's a whole lot better than Ratzinger.

Mind you, that's like saying George Bush was a whole lot better than Hitler.

Scrapheap

He doesn't say the right things about women and gays. But other than that, yes, he's a whole lot better than Ratzinger.

Given the fact that the church only recently admitted that Galileo was right, I'd say that's a pretty big step forward for them.

Perhaps the next pope will admit they were wrong about women and gays??  :dunno:

Offline El-Presidente

• Caliph of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Postwhore
  • I love kitties! Fluffy kitties are nice!!
    • ASD Community

Not that fapheap would care. The racist, misogynist, homophobic intellectual pygmy he is.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Yay.  As an atheist I am pleased to know that I may one day end up in heaven...which. Doesn't. Fucking. Exist!!!
Misunderstood.

Scrapheap

Not that fapheap would care. The racist, misogynist, homophobic intellectual pygmy he is.

Yes, when you can't form intellectual arguments, just call people names.

:thumbup:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Yay.  As an atheist I am pleased to know that I may one day end up in heaven...which. Doesn't. Fucking. Exist!!!

Caught that bit of irony? :laugh:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
The sentiment is there. Mind you maybe it is also something of a realisation that Atheists are becoming more prevalent. Hell we have an Atheist Prime Minister and so many of the countries that used to be primarily Christian are primarily identified as non-religious. Maybe it is a concession
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Pretty sure he knows, you dont have to believe in Jesus

Just do good stuff