Educational

Author Topic: What kind of Aspie are you?  (Read 529 times)

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
What kind of Aspie are you?
« on: May 16, 2013, 02:38:36 AM »
From the Aspies I've met so far, there seems to be around three kinds of Aspies or at least three categories of Aspies that I am able to conceptually lump Aspies into.

There's the Aspie that is quite reserved, rigid in social situations, calm and collected at times (but, depending on the individual, might also explode at other times), often feeling intense feelings, and is practically an introvert in many ways.

Then there's the second kind that is an extrovert, has no issues with socializing with others, often seemingly naive and innocent, and comes off as awkward despite his tendency to socialize with others. This person's Aspieness is usually more apparent than the Aspieness of the first type, and some Aspies may find even this type a bit too awkward for them.

And third is the type that just doesn't seem to exhibit much Aspieness at all yet somewhat identifies with the mentioned traits of Asperger's/autism and believes himself to be so. He may or may not actually have autism, but this is the third type.

Personally, I consider myself to be most the first type. Rigid, selectively mute, and only freely open to people I'm socially comfortable with. With others, I am extremely reserved and only speak when I have to speak (for example, with customers) or when an intellectual discussion I enjoy arises and I end up attracting a lot of attention onto me.

What about you?

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
Re: What kind of Aspie are you?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 03:50:19 AM »
1st type.  :asthing:

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 04:58:30 AM »
Obviously the first type.

However, I can socialize when it is to my advantage.
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 05:22:19 AM »
Not sure how much of the aspiness is exhibited, but no diagnosis make me type three.

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 05:35:58 AM »
I'm the first type of spazzio also.

Might be that there are more categories within the 'aspie spectrum' though. Surely when you, like I tend to do, think of 'le syndrome d'asperger' as (just) being high functioning autism. Butz..

Well, maybe then there is a division between the more strict, rigid or stringent minded and the more loosely going about 'things' type.

Dunno.. but this is interesting.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 05:52:06 AM »
There is a forth type.
The Aspie that is non-introverted in the truest sense of the word, but rather fosters a confident, extrovert persona in a personality that is a bit gruff and terse. The personality gives the impression of an extrovert and socially confident person but the effect is to diminish things like social chit-chat and perhaps even distance people from them.
I have known two older aspie men like this. My Father-in-law was one.I was scared to death of him. I was a little skinny 22 year old and dating his 25 year old daughter. He was a large 6'3" ex-engineer.
It came as quite a surprise that he actually really liked me. He like my other Aspie male friend would find things to do when visitors were around. I got quite close to my Father-in-law before he died. Nice bloke. Very gruff, and not very good at showing affection or expressing himself. He used to feed me beer after beer when I was there and would not have me politely holding the can for 30 minutes untouched. When he discovered I am not a beer drinker but like bourbon, He would get his wife to keep bringing my glasses of bourbon.  :lol1:
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 08:33:59 AM »
Probably #1.

Definitely introverted...I avoid most social situations. Can sometimes carry on a conversation with a stranger 100% better than I can with someone I know though some days. I can feel intensely but seldom show it.

TheoK

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 08:50:55 AM »
Mostly #1 and #3, but I'm very sociable when feeling for it.

I rarely feel for it  :nerdy:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 10:54:47 PM »
  I suppose I would be the third type.  Used to be more the second type, but have gotten better at socializing.  :nerdy:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline BadgerTom

• DEPRAVED ASSHAT
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • NSFW - Not Safe for Woke
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 07:07:17 AM »
I'm somewhere between type 2 and 3 now, although i was type 1 when i was younger, then type 2 during college/university, now with all my life experience and training i have no idea which "box" i'm in! nor do i care for such distinctions or being put in more boxes!

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 08:10:50 AM »
There is a forth type.
The Aspie that is non-introverted in the truest sense of the word, but rather fosters a confident, extrovert persona in a personality that is a bit gruff and terse. The personality gives the impression of an extrovert and socially confident person but the effect is to diminish things like social chit-chat and perhaps even distance people from them.
I have known two older aspie men like this. My Father-in-law was one.I was scared to death of him. I was a little skinny 22 year old and dating his 25 year old daughter. He was a large 6'3" ex-engineer.
It came as quite a surprise that he actually really liked me. He like my other Aspie male friend would find things to do when visitors were around. I got quite close to my Father-in-law before he died. Nice bloke. Very gruff, and not very good at showing affection or expressing himself. He used to feed me beer after beer when I was there and would not have me politely holding the can for 30 minutes untouched. When he discovered I am not a beer drinker but like bourbon, He would get his wife to keep bringing my glasses of bourbon.  :lol1:
this is me.  I am oblivious about how others view me.
Misunderstood.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 09:46:20 AM »
There is a forth type.
It is funny that in writing this, I realised that it is not that dissimilar to me. Not as much when I was that 22 year old but more and more the older I get
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline BadgerTom

• DEPRAVED ASSHAT
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • NSFW - Not Safe for Woke
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 10:04:01 AM »
There is a forth type.

I just thought that was how all son's viewed their dads! Mine's just like that, but now that i'm older we get ion great and his humour is as sick as mine!

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 08:06:30 PM »
some days I am, others not so much.
:skywarp:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 11:42:24 PM »
There is a forth type.

I just thought that was how all son's viewed their dads! Mine's just like that, but now that i'm older we get ion great and his humour is as sick as mine!

Really?
Was not the way I viewed my Father