Educational

Author Topic: Terror attack in Boston?  (Read 5626 times)

Scrapheap

Re: Terror attack in Boston?
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2013, 04:49:51 PM »
I don't know. It seems very amateurishly done, anyway. Big cans with black powder.

It's low-tech nature makes it hard to trace though.

It's almost as if some Russian immigrants made it.

There's much to be said about low tech but effective devices.  :viking:

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2013, 05:02:15 PM »
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2013, 05:13:07 PM »
Misunderstood.

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2013, 05:13:31 PM »
'A distraction from reality': Comfort dogs bring peace to Boston victims

Of all the traits that make dogs special, here’s one of the best: They don’t judge you when you cry.

For that reason, specially trained therapy dogs deployed by Lutheran Church Charities are making bedside visits to dozens of hospitalized victims of the Boston Marathon bombings. Many patients are responding mightily to the one-on-one doses of canine comfort.

“It's relaxing — takes my mind off of what happened,” said David Yepez, 15, who is recovering from surgery at Tufts Medical Center after being hit in the leg by shrapnel at the epicenter of Monday’s blast.

“It’s good to have my mind away from the accident, the doctors. To have a moment of peace. [I haven’t] had many moments of peace.”

Lee Ann Yanni is another bombing survivor who relished a visit Wednesday from empathetic four-legged friends. Two golden retrievers gazed adoringly at the runner right before she underwent surgery on her shattered leg. At the time of the bombings, Yanni had been training to run her first full marathon in Chicago in October.

She said she’s absolutely planning to run again,” said Rev. Ingo Dutzmann, senior pastor of First Lutheran Church in downtown Boston, which is serving as home base for five of Lutheran Church Charities’ “K-9 Comfort Dogs.”

Dutzmann noted that the dogs — all golden retrievers — have an uncanny ability to calm and connect with injured survivors as well as hospital workers and random passersby on the street.

“We have people simply walking by on the sidewalk who see the dogs ... and with the memory of Monday, they break into tears,” Dutzmann said. “It’s the dog that allows them to express their emotions in that way, and if you’re hurting, you’ve got to let it go. With a dog, people are not afraid to do that.”

On Tuesday, three comfort dogs flew from Lutheran Church Charities’ headquarters near Chicago to Boston, where they joined two golden retrievers who had been working with grieving pupils and parents at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn.

The five dogs and their handlers have their work cut out for them in Boston. They will spend the rest of this week visiting bombing survivors at Tufts Medical Center, Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and will keep making hospital rounds next week if needed.

Their hospital visits benefit medical personnel who also are reeling from Monday’s attack. Meghan Bennett, a 25-year-old nursing student who has been caring for bombing victims, said the dogs have helped her maintain perspective.

“My stress level has gone way down,” Bennett said. “I just love dogs ... and this is a distraction from the reality. Patients’ faces light up when a dog walks into the room.”

The golden retrievers also will be present at First Lutheran Church of Boston at noon Friday for a memorial service and on Sunday morning for worship services.

“Dogs don’t speak theology,” Dutzmann said. “They just speak love.”

http://www.today.com/pets/distraction-re...-1C9406658

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2013, 05:51:58 PM »
Dogs really are man's best friend.  They are so adaptable.  They function in so many different  ways to
fit into our lives.  Dogs are awesome.
blah blah blah

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2013, 06:03:33 PM »
All you people who admitted to owning a pressure cooker are now being monitored by the state.  Next, they will come for your pressure cookers.  I never said anything, because I didn't have ore.

I'll send them mine, FIL gave it to me...too freaked out by my mom almost blowing the lid off of one when I was a kid to ever use it.  :LOL:

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2013, 09:29:14 PM »
This guy:

This guy:

These guys:

Pic from People Over Politics

TheoK

« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2013, 01:30:57 AM »
Where did you get the pics?

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2013, 01:37:50 AM »
Knew it-

"On Monday, I watched coverage of the Boston Marathon bombing with horror. I stared at smoke rising high above streets I once wandered as a wide-eyed Midwestern teenager visiting friends in fast-moving Boston. As runners and spectators fled the scene, I immediately wondered if my loved ones were caught in the mayhem, or who on that blood-stained street might be connected to my Bostonian friends.

In the blink of an eye, the media began its frenzied search for a suspect. Who could it be? Was it Al Qaeda?1 Could it be angry domestic terrorists copying Timothy McVeigh to prove a point about their hatred of taxation and government control? A lone wolf, perhaps? And how would we ever know? 

As many people and communities of color living in a post-9/11 world feared, the “colorizing” of the suspect search began almost immediately. At 8:36 p.m. on Monday, CNN claimed on its breaking news blog, “This Just In,” that “investigators have warned law enforcement officers to be on the lookout for a ‘darker-skinned or black male’ with a possible foreign accent in connection with Monday's bombings at the Boston Marathon,”2 despite lacking confirmation from federal investigators. Just 19 minutes later, the same CNN bloggers reported that a Saudi national was under guard at a local hospital – again without FBI confirmation – and essentially fanned racial fears. 

And the young Saudi national that CNN referred to in its racially coded “journalism?” He’s in medical school on a student visa and is confirmed to be an innocent witness3 – but only after being interrogated and having his private residence searched by the police.

Making matters worse, today CNN continued with its race baiting and racial fear mongering. Reporter John King repeatedly stated – without federal confirmation – that a “dark-skinned male” had been arrested this afternoon.4 Not only does this lack basic journalistic integrity, but it continues CNN’s racial profiling – inciting fear, creating distrust, and heightening anxiety within many communities of color.

We all want to find the person or persons responsible for this appalling act of violence. But we cannot paint entire groups of people – no matter their racial identity – with broad, accusatory strokes in our zeal to bring forth justice. No innocent individuals or communities should be subjected to racial profiling for the sake of prejudicial efficiency. 

"

via 18million rising

You can sign a petition demanding CNN apologize to the student here: http://signon.org/sign/hey-cnn-what-makes-a

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2013, 01:38:46 AM »
Where did you get the pics?

People Over Politics

TheoK

« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2013, 01:58:08 AM »
I see that now. Are they trustworthy and not the usual conspiracy "theorists"?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2013, 04:36:33 AM »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2013, 08:42:32 AM »
I see that now. Are they trustworthy and not the usual conspiracy "theorists"?

I'm not entirely sure.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2013, 09:12:57 AM »
I bet I could kill a few people in this library with my penis before I could be restrained and brought in. My penis is deadly and should be outlawed. It needs to be controlled.
Randy, is that you?
Fluorescent?

I'm honored you'd mistake me for Randy. I could never be as cool as that guy, bud.

I was just applying gun control logic to my penis, since it could also be used to kill someone. Its silly I know. So's gun control.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2013, 09:15:46 AM »
I bet I could kill a few people in this library with my penis before I could be restrained and brought in. My penis is deadly and should be outlawed. It needs to be controlled.
Randy, is that you?
Fluorescent?

I'm honored you'd mistake me for Randy. I could never be as cool as that guy, bud.

I was just applying gun control logic to my penis, since it could also be used to kill someone. Its silly I know. So's gun control.

The difference between a gun and your penis, is that when your penis is sawed off, it becomes less dangerous.