Author Topic: deleting accounts  (Read 1168 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: deleting accounts
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 06:44:41 AM »
jman, from what I can understand, they try to act badass, but show their weakness by caring enough for their account to delete/deactivate it, thus are not as badass as they claimed to be, while those who would not delete their account show their badassness by not caring wether or not their account stays forever. In other words, thanks for informing us that you are badass, I will make a mental note, and never ever fuck with you : 0
Lol.  I think you answered my question quite well.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 09:53:42 AM »
 :asthing:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 10:51:07 AM »
Deleting accounts makes searching post history more difficult and limited as either you have to search by keywords or use google (which would be limited to publicly views areas of I2 only) respectively. So if you plan to leave and don't want anyone tracking your past posts so easily, you'd opt for your account to be deleted.

But I doubt that's the real reason most people do it though.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 02:13:42 PM »
What's the point of people deleting their accounts here? If you don't want to be here just simply stop coming here. No need to throw an internet fit and delete your account.  :indeed:

Who the fuck are you?

Dude... :facepalm2:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 06:09:59 PM »
Be as it may, I'm not keen on deleting accounts these days because it can make a mess of the database.

How does it mess up the database when nothing is removed?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 11:36:41 PM »
Be as it may, I'm not keen on deleting accounts these days because it can make a mess of the database.

How does it mess up the database when nothing is removed?

There are member-specific relations and data to keep track of all sorts of things relating to members, from posts to member groups to PMs. These are deleted because the account is deleted. In the visible cases, the member's posts default to a named guest, but other data is deleted. In some cases, the software will most likely attempt to replace deleted relations with a default but that can be tricky, depending on the size of the database, the number of members, installed mods, etc.

I don't know in detail what happens but I know that frequently data is "orphaned".
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 05:26:47 PM »
So then it is in fact a deletion. That's a highly inefficient way for a database to function. One should be able to render the primary layer as inert, similar to a ban; removing it is nonsensical. Surprised you're even willing to do it. Apologies for all my rogue data.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 08:54:06 PM »
:GA:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 12:07:42 AM »
So then it is in fact a deletion. That's a highly inefficient way for a database to function. One should be able to render the primary layer as inert, similar to a ban; removing it is nonsensical. Surprised you're even willing to do it. Apologies for all my rogue data.

It would be much easier to disable the user, yes, and obviously safer for the database, but we've done it since this place started and the forum software does offer a choice in the matter.

SMF, btw, is similar to other software in that respect, AFAIK.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 05:41:33 AM »
It's madness.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 03:37:23 PM »
Still not convinced this is what's occurring. If so, it would stand to reason this place would be fundamentally broken. It doesn't make sense; the search function shouldn't even work properly when searching by username for deleted accounts, though that's hard to say for certain without knowing exactly where the search looks. Can you query your user tables for deleted accounts, or can you only retrieve information from other tables for those users?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:44:38 PM by Jack »

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 03:39:56 PM »
What a bunch of crap. Should change my custom title to, Silent Destroyer of the Aspie Elite.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 04:01:44 PM »
Still not convinced this is what's occurring. If so, it would stand to reason this place would be fundamentally broken. It doesn't make sense; the search function shouldn't even work properly when searching by username for deleted accounts, though that's hard to say for certain without knowing exactly where the search looks. Can you query your user tables for deleted accounts, or can you only retrieve information from other tables for those users?

Do you think the aspie overlord is hiding something nefarious?

P7PSP

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 04:11:12 PM »
What a bunch of crap. Should change my custom title to, Silent Destroyer of the Aspie Elite.
Don't get too far ahead of yourself. Wait until you have actually destroyed us.  :laugh:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 04:23:53 PM »
This place isn't fundamentally broken? ;)