Educational

Author Topic: Cannibal Cop  (Read 412 times)

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Cannibal Cop
« on: February 25, 2013, 11:47:11 AM »
Cannibal Cop

NEW YORK -- The wife of a New York City police officer will testify at a federal trial to explain how she discovered that he was discussing kidnapping, killing and eating women.

A judge outlined the parameters of Kathleen Mangan's testimony against her husband, Gilberto Valle, whose trial was beginning Monday. Mangan can tell a jury about her discovery but not about the couple's confidential communications or about his mental condition, U.S. District Judge Paul G. Gardephe said.

Valle, 28, is charged with scheming to abduct, kill and eat dozens of women. His lawyers say he was only indulging in fetish fantasies. Opening statements at his federal trial are set for Monday afternoon.

Prosecutors said in court papers that Mangan fled their home on Sept. 10, 2012, believing he was planning to kidnap, rape, torture and murder her.

"Mangan also discovered that her husband had similarly heinous plans for women she knew and to whom she was close," the papers said.

Mangan gave her computer to the FBI, which found it "contained evidence of Valle's illegal plans," the government added.

The defense denied Mangan was a potential victim. Valle had made clear that his wife "was unavailable for any kidnapping fantasy and then chat participants discussed sexual fantasies concerning other women," the defense papers said.

Valle, a baby-faced tabloid sensation known as the "Cannibal Cop," is expected to take the stand to make the case that it was all harmless fantasy played out on Internet sites like darkfetishnet.com.

The defense also is planning to show jurors the videotaped testimony of darkfetishnet.com co-founder Sergey Merenkov in which he describes the site as a "social media network."

Merenkov called the site "a clone of Facebook, but it is oriented to people with fetishes that are not considered standard."

Asked the most popular fetishes, Merenkov responds, "All sorts of asphxiation" and "peril cannibalism."

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=9005863

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:54:51 PM by skyblue1 »

midlifeaspie

Re: Cannibal Cop
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 11:51:59 AM »
I'm curious how this turns out.  Might set precedent for "thought crime".

Your link is a 404

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:55:26 PM »
link fixed

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 01:08:13 PM »

Your link is a 404

I do hope they have substantial evidence that it was more than just sharing some sick fantasy otherwise what would be next people who write crime novels?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 04:46:55 PM »

I do hope they have substantial evidence that it was more than just sharing some sick fantasy otherwise what would be next people who write crime novels?

Agreed. Unless he actually took steps to achieve a goal, then it's nothing.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 08:03:05 PM »

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:54:18 PM »
Really? What is this, 1984? Hell some of the things I talk about as hypothetical scenarios or jokes could land me a criminal charge if this precedent is set.

Unless there's proof of intent, this is a throwaway case. At least I hope it is.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 06:45:42 AM »
Really? What is this, 1984? Hell some of the things I talk about as hypothetical scenarios or jokes could land me a criminal charge if this precedent is set.

Unless there's proof of intent, this is a throwaway case. At least I hope it is.
Ditto- my thoughts EXACTLY.

I think this already got posted about once here, and I said similar.  (Perhaps one of the archivists on here would be willing to hunt down the other thread.)
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 06:51:24 AM »

Your link is a 404

exaaccctttlllyyyy.

The defense also is planning to show jurors the videotaped testimony of darkfetishnet.com co-founder Sergey Merenkov in which he describes the site as a "social media network."

Merenkov called the site "a clone of Facebook, but it is oriented to people with fetishes that are not considered standard."
So, it's fetlife, but REALLY fucked up, then?  If the whole site is like that, then why aren't they doing a massive bust?

There are so many more important things that the police could be tending to.  Instead they fixate on drug crimes and online fantasies.  And that's what makes the news, and it feels like the masses are stupid enough to believe that this is for the greater good.  How about focusing on violent crimes, pedophiles, and on the white-collar crimes like massive corruption that are fucking the nation on every level?  Or even just property crimes?  Crimes that have been COMMITTED???  Jesus.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 12:32:15 PM »

Sounds kinda.... supernatural.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 05:45:18 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/13/nyregion/gilberto-valle-is-found-guilty-in-cannibal-case.html?_r=0&pagewanted=all

He was found guilty.

He may get life in prison.

Does anyone else find that fucking TERRIFYING????

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 07:00:51 AM »
Yes.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 07:21:43 AM »
Scary as hell.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 02:37:31 PM »
It is scary, I agree.

But here's something I've been thinking: What about some of the al Qaeda sympathisers and other assorted people with beards currently locked in at Guantanamo, those that have not actually committed an act of terrorism? AFAIK, in more than one case, the "proof" that is available is of similar nature to the cannibal cop's, the difference being that they have yet to be tried in any court.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 08:10:46 AM »
‘Cannibal cop’ Gilberto Valle faces life in prison after jury finds him guilty of conspiracy to kidnap and illegal use of federal databases

Stick a fork in him.

“Cannibal cop” Gilberto Valle is looking at the possibility of life in prison after a Manhattan federal jury found him guilty of conspiring to kidnap women, then cook, kill and eat them.

Valle, 28, shook his head no as the jury foreman read the verdict Tuesday morning, and later broke down in tears

The NYPD officer hugged his defense lawyer, Julia Gatto, before he was led away in handcuffs.

Gatto said the married dad was “devastated” by the verdict. “It was an emotional and shocking moment for him,” Gatto said.

The ruling also stunned Valle’s mom, Elizabeth Valle, who’d been in court for every day of the sensational, gruesome and embarrassing 12-day trial.

“I’m in shock,” the furious mom said. “What trial were they watching?”

Gatto said: “This was a thought prosecution. These are thoughts, very ugly thoughts, but we don’t prosecute people for their thoughts.”

“The jury couldn’t get past the thoughts,” she said.

Juror Victor Pineiro told the Daily News he disagreed.

“I think anyone who would have sat down and looked at the evidence like we did would have come to the same conclusion,” he said.

“My conscience is clear that I’ve done a just thing today.”

Prosecutors contended the city cop was “a sexual sadist” who had been seeking guidance online for how to abduct, torture, rape, cook, kill and eat women, including his wife, two old college friends and an Archbishop Molloy High School softball star.

Their key piece of evidence was Valle’s family computer, which had been handed over to the feds by Valle’s wife of three months, Kathleen Mangan-Valle, after she discovered his horrifying plans.

The computer at their Forest Hills, Queens, home was loaded with crime-scene pictures of dead and mutilated women, twisted images of women being tortured and sexually assaulted, pictures of female friends he’d downloaded from Facebook, Google searches for terms like, “How to kidnap a woman” and “human meat recipes,” and sickening chats with three co-conspirators where he spoke about his stomach-churning plans for his victims.

Valle’s lawyers maintained he was engaging in “fantasy role play” with like-minded “death fetishists” he’d met online. Gatto said Valle liked to pepper his stories with real-life details to make them sound more genuine — and “scary.”

Jurors spent four days reviewing the grisly evidence against Valle. Some of it was “material that degrades the human spirit and corrupts the human soul,” Judge Paul Gardephe told them after the verdict.

“We did what we had to do,” foreman Ceaser Monitto told the Daily News. “We did our duty. I’ll leave it at that.”

Pineiro said that when the six-man, six-woman jury started deliberating, there was “a split” but “an opinion started to evolve” late Monday, after they’d thoroughly reviewed all of Valle’s online chats.

“It was gradual. There was no, ‘Ah, that’s it,’ ” the 48-year-old buyer for an industrial company said. “There was a lot of respect. We let everyone speak, any questions, any doubts, and we pursued them all, maintained order [and] kept things organized

The group had drawn timelines to discuss what exactly occurred, when it occurred and how it occurred, and as they pieced it together, the picture that emerged was that of a man who was stepping out of the world of fantasy and into reality.

“The majority of what we were looking at we felt was fantasy. I think like an addict needs a larger and larger dose, he was needing things that were more and more real and he was progressing,” Pineiro said. “He was speaking to what we felt [were] serious people and he didn’t back away from them. He willingly continued the conversations and sometimes was the provocateur of the conversations,” and then he carried out “overt acts.”

Accused "Cannibal Cop" Gilberto Valle wept as he listened to his estranged wife, Kathleen Mangan, testify against him on the first day of his trial, Monday Feb. 25. “He was bringing it into real life,” he said.

He didn’t specify what made jurors feel that way, but there had been testimony from an FBI agent that Valle told him his secret cyber life was “bleeding” into reality.

In July, Valle had emailed one of his creepy co-conspirators pictures of his friend Kimberly Sauer in the days before he and his wife were having brunch with her in Maryland — along with a document called “Abduction and Cooking of Kimberly: A Blueprint.”

Julia Gatto was Valle's court-appointed lawyer. “I’ll be eyeing her from head to toe and licking my lips, longing for the day I cram a chloroform-soaked rag in her face,” he wrote.

After the brunch, he emailed the man, later revealed to be a British nurse named Dale Bolinger, to say, “She looked absolutely mouthwatering. I could hardly contain myself.”

Then in September, he closed his account on the Darkfetishnet.com website, telling Bolinger he was doing so because it would make it harder for him “to get caught.” Around the same time, he also used his computer to look up the address of the high school student he’d been eyeing, Kirsten Ponticelli

The second charge against Valle, accessing a federal database without authorization, “was pretty straightforward,” he said. Prosecutors said Valle had used his police computer to tap into a federal database last May to look up information on one of his targets, former high school classmate Maureen Hartigan, and NYPD records backed the claim up.

Cannibal cop Gilberto Valle wept after the verdict was read, says his lawyer. Pineiro found Gatto’s claim that they hadn’t been fair to her client hard to swallow.

“We did what we did in good conscience, and if I were on trial I would have wanted that jury for me. All good people,” he said.

U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara hailed the jury for finding “Valle’s detailed and specific plans to abduct women for the purpose of committing grotesque crimes were very real, and that he was guilty as charged.”

Seperated: Gilberto Valle won't be able to spend quality time with his daughter.  Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly would only say Valle would “be terminated immediately from the Police Department.”

Gatto said she ask the judge to set aside the verdict, and vowed to appeal if he doesn’t.

“We truly believe our client is innocent,” she said. “The prosecution didn’t meet its burden of proof.”

Valle’s wife was not in court for the verdict, and she declined comment when reached at her family’s home in Reno, Nev. She fled there with her and Valle’s now year-old daughter Josephine after using spyware to find out what her hubby had been up to on her computer.

Valle is scheduled to be sentenced on June 19 — his first wedding anniversary.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/cann...z2No1dkYSL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------