Author Topic: India's Power Grid Collapses  (Read 411 times)

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
India's Power Grid Collapses
« on: July 31, 2012, 04:49:04 PM »
NEW DELHI—India suffered the world's most massive power outage on Tuesday as transmission networks serving areas inhabited by 680 million collapsed, putting the nation's ramshackle infrastructure on stark display.

The grid failure, the second massive blackout in as many days, happened around 1 p.m. local time and affected 18 states and two union territories in north and eastern India, grinding trains across large swaths of the country to a halt, forcing thousands of hospitals and factories to operate on generators, temporarily stranding hundreds of coal miners underground and causing losses to businesses estimated in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

The government said power was about 80% restored in north India by late Tuesday evening.

Access to electricity is far from universal in India, and Indians are accustomed to regular power outages in particular neighborhoods or sections of cities. Many businesses and farmers see backup diesel-run generators as an absolute necessity. Still, Tuesday's massive breakdown was unprecedented, impacting a population larger than the U.S., Brazil and Russia combined.

For a nation that sees itself as an emerging global power, the event was a huge embarrassment. It put on vivid display, for Indians and the world, how rickety the country's basic infrastructure is. And it could further tarnish the perception of India among foreign companies who have long viewed the country's outdated roads, ports and power networks as major drawbacks of doing business here.

The power outage wreaked havoc on businesses and travelers. About 200 trains stopped operating for several hours. Metro rail services in the national capital of New Delhi and its suburbs were halted. About 270 miners were stuck in two underground coal mines in eastern India as elevators stopped working. All had been rescued by late Tuesday.

At the Nigambodh Ghat, a New Delhi crematorium, three dead bodies were cremated using wood after the power failure, an official at the crematorium said. In India, Hindus generally try to cremate bodies the same day a person dies if the death occurs before dusk, and furnaces generally run on electricity.

The All-India Institute of Medical Sciences, one of Delhi's main state-run hospitals, ran its diesel generators for almost two hours.

A tea plantation in the foothills of the Himalayas, Kailashpur Tea Estate, said it had to give its generators a rest every few hours, stalling production. And since the generators don't supply power to street lights on the estate, which is surrounded by forests, the power outages raised some specific concerns. "Leopards and elephants often wander into the plantation," said senior manager Manas Bhattacharya. "About three months ago, two female workers were mauled by a leopard on the estate. Wild elephants are everyday visitors."

In the western city of Jaipur, Swati Jain, co-founder of the Happy Store, which sells handicrafts there, said there was no electricity between 11 a.m. and around 4 p.m. It was "awfully bad," said Ms. Jain, adding that even during peak summer hours, locals are used to only two-hour power cuts at most.

The tiny Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan, which borders India, came to its much larger neighbor's aid this week, releasing additional power from its hydroelectric plants while India worked to restore its networks to full capacity.

The government Tuesday even extended the deadline for filing of income-tax returns by a month to Aug. 31, citing "reports of disturbance of general life caused due to failure of power," among other reasons.

The blackout on Tuesday was the largest known blackout in history in terms of the population affected, according to an estimate by the Associated Press. The second-worst was India's outage Monday, which affected a population of 370 million followed by a 2005 outage in Indonesia which left almost 100 million in the dark, the AP said..........

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872...78898.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: India's Power Grid Collapses
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 06:40:19 PM »
And the rest of the world has been put on Hold because the Customer Service has been outsourced.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:06:34 PM »
Yeah, and this is the country we rely on to supply most of our tech support?

We're fucked.

Sad...but I look for this to start happening here. Power outages seem to be more and more frequent. Some of it's the weather, but I think lack of maintence in some areas isn't helping.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:45:20 AM »
I had no electric myself for four hours on Saturday,  but that was because the urchin had hidden the key :orly:
blah blah blah

TheoK

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 02:52:23 AM »
You don't need electricity if you are  :viking: Wood and kerosene is all that you need  8)

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 03:01:31 AM »
When i had my 'riches to rags' phase a while ago i spent several months without gas and electric.  :'(

I nearly burnt the house down in various ways :zoinks:
blah blah blah

TheoK

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 03:02:14 AM »
Almost burning the house down is  :viking:

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 03:08:08 AM »
yes and it's so easy to knock candles over when you have two big dogs in the house to keep you warm. :LOL:

the boxer didn't have a tail, but the french mastiff did, and could clear a table in seconds :zoinks:
blah blah blah

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 06:08:33 AM »
That's a lot of people without power :zombiefuck:  As far as the grid here in the US near NYC they have brown outs where they lower the voltage due to increased demand in very hot weather and sometimes black outs for the same reason.  Everybody wants power but nobody wants a power plant anywhere near them and my town has three along the river two of them are less than 15 years old.  We rarely lose power but I am always ready I have a full complement of camping gear I also have a 7000 watt generator that I got for work.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

midlifeaspie

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 12:14:27 PM »
I had no electric myself for four hours on Saturday,  but that was because the urchin had hidden the key :orly:

Huh?  The electricity to your house is controlled by a key?  :dunno:

TheoK

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 12:34:53 PM »
Don't you have a key to the electrical main switch in America?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »

Are you serious?  No keys here, we have a meter on the outside of the house and a panel with breakers or fuses inside although I have seen photos in other areas where the panel is outdoors.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 01:13:44 PM »

No.

You could throw the main circuit breaker inside the house to quickly cut off all the power coming into the house if you needed to.  If it's an older house, like the one I grew up in, you could pull the main fuses.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 01:18:12 PM »
BTW, I hope India gets its power back soon and the problems don't go as far south as Mumbai.  My husband is leaving to go there tomorrow.  The place he is visiting usually doesn't have power on Thursdays but they have a generator that handles much of the basic electrical needs so at least they have lights and keep the computers working.

TheoK

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 01:37:11 PM »
We have a main switch in the house too, but there is a panel, that is opened with a key, where you can put on/off the electricity before it enters the main switch in the house.