Author Topic: MissKitty's Hippie Green Living Thread  (Read 909 times)

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
MissKitty's Hippie Green Living Thread
« on: June 28, 2012, 05:23:54 PM »
Here to exchange tips, new ideas, and knowledge.

I'm hoping to make the orange candles with the kids sometime soon:

Make Your Own Homemade Orange or Lemon Beeswax Candles

You can easily make your own naturally scented votive candles from hollowed-out lemon skins or orange skins and beeswax. When pouring the wax, make sure it's at just the right temperature (180 degrees): If it's too hot, it will draw all the moisture from the lemon; if it's too cold, it won't cool and set well. These candles are best used within a day or two after making them.

Tools and Materials:
lemon or orange
knife
melon baller or tool to scoop out the flesh
candy thermometer
lemon oil or other natural oils
wicks
wick holder
beeswax
small paintbrush

1. Cut the lemon lengthwise or just the top of the orange. Squeeze out as much of the juice as possible without tearing the skin. Hollow out the halves with a melon baller or other tool.

2. In a double boiler, heat beeswax until melted, about 180 degrees. Check temperature with a candy thermometer. Turn off the heat and add lemon oil or other oils if you wish.

3. Cut 3 inches of wick; tie a knot at one end. Thread the loose end through a wick holder, and pull so the knot is secure under the holder.

4. Dip the wick and holder with wax until coated; this will stiffen and straighten the wick. Press the wick holder into the bottom of the lemon or orange half to affix. Let the wick dry.

5. Pour the wax into the lemon or orange half, and fill to the edge. Use a small paintbrush to coat the rim of the lemon or orange with wax. Let the candle dry for about 4 hours.

6. Enjoy your natural candles!

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: MissKitty's Hippie Green Living Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 05:58:13 PM »
When life gives you lemons... :orly:

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 06:06:59 PM »
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 06:10:06 PM »
No, when life hands you lemons, make lemon meringue pie. :mischief:
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 06:14:38 PM »
Cool idea to re-use an old crib

P7PSP

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 08:19:44 PM »
I am taking care not to eat GMO shit.

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 08:59:53 PM »
That's hard to do. It's involved in nearly every major name brand on the market.  :-\ But it's relief that people are finally becoming so aware. Buying at your local farmers market is a great start though. You're getting good food that's not involved with GMO and you're helping farmers put food on the table for their families. Win-win :)

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »
Sadly even the most local of farmers use something dodgy along the line. Just because it's not modified, doesn't mean it's instantly better than the stuff found in supermarkets. Some ways, it could actually be worse. All determined by the ability of the farmer though.

An example is the issue of contamination getting on vegetables and meat, which can be common. Things like this caused the widespread Foot and Mouth disease outbreak over here a few years back, which caused most meat to be taken off the shelves and even people being quarantined in order to stop the spread. Most of it was not caused by chemicals or any other forms of modification, except for the matter of aerosol usage in some instances.

(Living in a country where it's pretty much 80% agriculture has it's uses. :laugh: )

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 09:18:11 PM »
Yeah it's not surprising. If a chemical is used in soil, it takes 7 years for it to clear the earth of its residue. That's why to be truly "organic" is a difficult title to come by. Takes forever for the land to heal and for the farmer to get a true organic status.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
Agreed. Some use the "organic" title as a way to make extra money. Can't blame them though, at these times a lot of farmers have a harder time making money.

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 08:43:16 AM »

midlifeaspie

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 09:03:27 AM »
That's hard to do. It's involved in nearly every major name brand on the market.  :-\ But it's relief that people are finally becoming so aware. Buying at your local farmers market is a great start though. You're getting good food that's not involved with GMO and you're helping farmers put food on the table for their families. Win-win :)

Me too.  It helps that I don't buy anything that is a major brand of any kind except Silk, which is always non-GMO.  Almost 80% of my diet is organic now.  It's expensive, but even if you remove the health aspect it's worth it because everything tastes so much better

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 10:15:38 AM »

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 10:30:35 AM »
one day when I go out to British Columbia to visit my best friend, I want to stay here:

http://www.freespiritspheres.com/