Educational

Author Topic: Coddle the rich  (Read 682 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Coddle the rich
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:21:22 AM »
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Coddle the rich
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:26:38 AM »
Hi McJ. How you?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 12:16:14 PM »
Thinking about listening to Clapton.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Misunderstood.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 06:00:33 PM »
Come back in honor of May Day?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:07:45 PM »
MAYbe.
Misunderstood.

Offline Kapkao

• If it's Godunov for you it's good enough for me
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 10:01:59 PM »
I see Chomsky found something to take up his blogspace, again.  :M

Offline Kapkao

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:09:01 PM »
Here's the problem with Chomsky's gripe: if you can't pay for someone else's welfare, you can't pay for someone's welfare.

Sure, slashing medical and retirement benefits is never popular with common folk, but it allows this basic concept called "Law and order" to remain functional. Without slashing the less-than-essential stuff, you end up being like America, who borrows one to two thirds of every dollar spent,  or your government implodes and "Survival of the Fittest" reigns supreme shortly afterwards.

I'm not necessarily a fan of Citizens United, but it's moot what I think about it.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 10:06:34 AM »
I'd rather slash things that rich people need, rather than the common folk. There are more common folk than the rich.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Kapkao

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »
what do "rich people" need from the government, necessarily, that the middle and lower class doesn't? :P

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 07:11:05 PM »
what do "rich people" need from the government, necessarily, that the middle and lower class doesn't? :P

Tax breaks where they pay a significantly lower percentage rate than their help.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Kapkao

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 07:31:05 PM »
You're not thinking this through, Duckie. What governmental "help" do the rich get, on average?

There's another thing: with income taxation set up as it is now in the states, most "rich" people keep their respective federal government afloat in terms of finance. That billionaire who invested all his money in gold? His yearly income keeps thousands medicated, sheltered and fed through 'welfare', because of the taxes he pays. Something to consider before going off on an "Eat the Rich" tangent, huh?

The socialites and inheritors that keep offshore assets are the exception, here. They get the privilege of hiding their wealth from Uncle Sam, which is a privilege most can't actually manage.

Corporation taxes are also a different story, but corporations are not "rich people". Yes, some corporations do NOT play by the same taxpaying rules that every other business and individual plays by, and it's really fucked up when it does happen. Mostly because Securities and Exchange Commission-esque corruption/kleptocracy enables entities like Bank of America to have gotten away with paying the grand total of a dollar a year in taxes.

:finger: you SEC.

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 08:37:24 PM »
You're not thinking this through, Duckie. What governmental "help" do the rich get, on average?

There's another thing: with income taxation set up as it is now in the states, most "rich" people keep their respective federal government afloat in terms of finance. That billionaire who invested all his money in gold? His yearly income keeps thousands medicated, sheltered and fed through 'welfare', because of the taxes he pays. Something to consider before going off on an "Eat the Rich" tangent, huh?

The socialites and inheritors that keep offshore assets are the exception, here. They get the privilege of hiding their wealth from Uncle Sam, which is a privilege most can't actually manage.

Corporation taxes are also a different story, but corporations are not "rich people". Yes, some corporations do NOT play by the same taxpaying rules that every other business and individual plays by, and it's really fucked up when it does happen. Mostly because Securities and Exchange Commission-esque corruption/kleptocracy enables entities like Bank of America to have gotten away with paying the grand total of a dollar a year in taxes.

Fuck the rich

And if I was rich I would be saying fuck you, for making me pay more, but I would work twice as hard to make more money. Cuz thats what rich folks do.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 09:13:07 PM »

Fuck the rich

And if I was rich I would be saying fuck you, for making me pay more, but I would work twice as hard to make more money. Cuz thats what rich folks do.

You might, but if the marginal tax rate is high enough, some people wouldn't work twice as hard for more money when they don't even get to keep very much of it anyway.

They would prefer other perks to more money like more vacation time or stock options.

Where is the line that divides "the rich" from the rest of us, anyway?

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 09:30:34 PM »
I think you know where that line is.

Are you part of the 1% or the like the rest of us, amongst the 99%

Best solution, Flat tax rate, no loopholes. Everyone pays according to a set schedule

Different tax rate for business, but no loopholes, no hiding money or assets off shore.

No more subsidies for anyone.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 09:41:23 PM »
Well, obviously I'm not in the top 1% of income for Americans, but, like most Americans, I'm probably in the top 1% of income for the world as a whole.

Much of the world lives in poverty that's difficult for us to even imagine.