Educational

Author Topic: motherfucking jury duty  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: motherfucking jury duty
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2012, 12:15:32 AM »
I have jury duty coming up in about a month.  I'll show up like a good little citizen because, well, I have to, but I suspect I won't have to lie to disqualify myself; I am extremely prejudiced against the criminal injustice system at this point.  I need to dedicate the time to research how else I can make myself appear undesirable, though.
If you don't like how it works perhaps you should consider having a say in what happens by serving as a juror if you are picked. I don't regret one bit that motherfucker who tried to kill his wife going away for a long time, or the guyy who my other jury acquitted because the prosecution had a dogshit case.
Not worth it to me.  Because of how my job works, taking time off short-term effects my ability to make money long-term (even aside from the reduced compensation to begin with).  Even just the day I will have to take off is probably going to end up being damaging down the road.  I will mention that as well.  I'd be unmotivated to take the time necessary to arrive at a good verdict.  And also, fuck being a cog in the system.

I agree with PPK, because I think juries need more people who won't just be sheep and apply BS laws to send people to prison.  I think that if this happens, then jury nullification is the last step in the process to protect these people. 

However, if you have any relatives who are in law enforcement and you tell them this, they won't pick you for a jury.

If it will create a real financial hardship for you to be on a jury, they might excuse you from service.

What if being on a jury would be a financial hardship for me?

People who have an extreme financial hardship may be excused from jury duty. Do not ignore the summons. You must respond to the summons in order to be excused for hardship. The Jury Commissioner is happy to work with you. You may have to prove this hardship with a letter from your employer or with some other documentation. Last year, the Jury Commissioner excused 11,472 people due to financial hardship, without them ever having to come to court.

However, don't just fill out the jury questionaire to say that you hate a particular group of people to get out of serving.  Some guy in Massachusetts tried to get out of jury duty.  The first thing he did was fill out the questionnaire saying that he hated gays.  The judge then asked him if he was a racist and he said yes.  He also said he was a liar.  So the judge asked him if he was lying right now and the guy said "I could be."  So the judge sent him to jail.
I'm not going to do something stupid, Callaway.  However, I do not want to be on a jury.  Moralize all you want; I don't give a shit.  I have my reasons.

I know that you are too smart to do something stupid and I know you have your reasons for not wanting to be on a jury.  That's why I included the relatives in law enforcement and the financial hardship reasons.  I don't know how severe the financial hardship would have to be to get you out of having to serve where you live, but it might be worth a try.  I know that here, defense lawyers don't want people related to policemen on the jury and I have three relatives who are involved in law enforcement, so I probably wouldn't be picked.  I assumed that it's the same way there.

I think that a good way not to be picked to serve on a jury is to act like you really want to be on one and if you bring up the concept of jurors not having to strictly follow the law as explained to them by the lawyers and the judge if that law violates their conscience, the prosecution probably won't want you on the jury either.  IMO, the smarter and better educated you are, the less likely it is they will want you to serve.

BTW, is it too late to call and ask for a different date for jury duty because you have a scheduling conflict?  If it's not and you ask for an alternate date that's sooner than the date on your summons, they probably would just move you to the end of the list since they are likely to have already called all the jurors they need for dates sooner than yours.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2017, 02:46:53 PM »
  I enjoyed my week of service.  The case involved endless boring e-mails, but there was justice to be done,
  and I think we did it.  Also enjoyed the free coffee, pastries, juices, sandwiches, etc.  And one morning
  I arrived at the courthouse, and the officer in front asked, "Are you a juror?"  I was proud to say yes.  8)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2017, 04:37:52 PM »
  I enjoyed my week of service.  The case involved endless boring e-mails, but there was justice to be done,
  and I think we did it.  Also enjoyed the free coffee, pastries, juices, sandwiches, etc.  And one morning
  I arrived at the courthouse, and the officer in front asked, "Are you a juror?"  I was proud to say yes.  8)

They feed you?

They never feed anyone around here. You have to buy your own food.

I want to be fed and sequestered for about a week at the Hampton Inn.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2017, 04:58:08 PM »

They feed you?

They never feed anyone around here. You have to buy your own food.

I want to be fed and sequestered for about a week at the Hampton Inn.

Every morning there was coffee and juice and pastry.  Every lunchtime someone on the staff
   sent out for sandwiches and chips from a nearby deli.  It was a sweet deal, AND I got to miss work!  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2017, 11:35:17 PM »
I haven't done Jury Duty yet :-/

Although there are probably a few reasons why...

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2017, 01:18:55 AM »
Name one of them. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2017, 02:53:18 AM »
Maybe he's a felon.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »
Maybe I'm too "stupid" for it :-/

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2017, 07:58:12 AM »
You could wait until the trial, after getting the free lunch, and then see what ethnic group the person on trial is then exclaim just loudly enough to be sure it gets overheard, 'lets get this *insert ethnic slur appropriate to ethnic group of defendent* sent down' or 'we need to stick up for our fellow...' either one should get yourself disqualified.

Although if its a drugs trial and the defendent hasn't been violent, stick with it and give a not guilty verdict regardless of the circumstances, since the US judicial system is massively biased against such people and the DEA twist everything in their favour if they can. And such people shouldn't be in court anyway. For example, if someone were caught with LSD, which is dosed in the microgram range, the entire weight of the carrier (that is, the paper, or gelatine its contained in in windowpanes, or inert tablet binders for microdots) is classed as weight of the drug when sentencing is considered, so someone caught with enough PAPER to weigh 1g (which would be a rather large quantity of pure LSD) would get sentenced not for the few milligrams of acid on the blotters but for the entire weight of the inert backing, which would get treated as if it too were the drug itself) same goes for inert cutting agents and people end up doing time way out of proportion to what they actually had. Not that they should be in court in the first place, let alone doing time.

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »
One of my sons got the jury duty letter the other day he seemed excited
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2017, 06:44:17 PM »

Are you a registered voter? If so, then it's most likely luck of the draw.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2017, 06:47:53 PM »
Some people enjoy it.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2017, 08:07:08 PM »
Some people enjoy it.

My sister always did.  I hate it  too many people in a closed space and you can't leave also just going in the court house sucks I always seem to set off the metal detectors and get the stink eye from security
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2017, 09:33:49 PM »
Every time my name has come up, I've made the call the night before and found out I don't actually have to go in.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2017, 11:24:34 PM »

Are you a registered voter? If so, then it's most likely luck of the draw.

Yes I'm a registered voter. I just don't align myself to one particular political ideology...