Author Topic: Occupy Wall Street  (Read 1072 times)

Binty

Occupy Wall Street
« on: October 02, 2011, 04:16:48 PM »
Can someone explain to me what is currently happening in America?  I haven't been reading the news for ages but someone on FB posted this:

and it got me interested.

Anyone willing to give me a summary of events?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:19:31 PM by Binty »

Osensitive1

Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 04:48:10 PM »
Don't really know much about the group but they have a wikipedia page if you're interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_Wall_Street

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 04:55:42 PM »
A bunch of students, the unemployed, union members, etc., are camping out smack in the middle of the New York financial district. 24-7, 7 days a week, and it's been going on for a couple weeks now. It's a protest against political and corporate corruption, banks getting big bailouts while ordinary people lose their homes from foreclosure, see their jobs get outsourced, and pay a higher tax bracket than rich investors who know all the loopholes.

Funnily enough, it's getting almost no coverage from major media outlets. You have to follow blogs and twitter and Anonymous' websites.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 05:02:32 PM »
I fail to see how this will affect anything. People protest this all the damn time, yet nothing changes.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 05:32:25 PM »
The cops are really knocking them around too I posted a link in this thread http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,18446.0.html
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 05:40:11 PM »
Yup. We'll see whether the American Public has the balls to keep growing their numbers anyway.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 05:48:03 PM »
The thing is, that the people in control only care about themselves. That's the way it has always been.

Scrapheap

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 06:09:57 PM »
The thing is, that the people in control only care about themselves. That's the way it has always been.

:indeed:

eris

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 06:13:54 PM »

Funnily enough, it's getting almost no coverage from major media outlets. You have to follow blogs and twitter and Anonymous' websites.

That's because no one cares. I'm not saying it is right, but it's true. If Snooki goes and joins them, THEN it will be national news  ::)

Scrapheap

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 06:57:05 PM »
A bunch of students, the unemployed, union members, etc., are camping out smack in the middle of the New York financial district. 24-7, 7 days a week, and it's been going on for a couple weeks now. It's a protest against political and corporate corruption, banks getting big bailouts while ordinary people lose their homes from foreclosure, see their jobs get outsourced, and pay a higher tax bracket than rich investors who know all the loopholes.

perhaps  this is the beginning!!!  :viking:  :viking:  :viking:

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 09:49:42 PM »
That's because no one cares. I'm not saying it is right, but it's true. If Snooki goes and joins them, THEN it will be national news  ::)

Who?

Michael Moore has already joined them.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 05:26:04 AM »

Who?

I would like to see Michael Moore pepper sprayed and beat up by the police though unlike the rest of the demonstrators
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 07:24:36 AM »

Who?

I would like to see Michael Moore pepper sprayed and beat up by the police though unlike the rest of the demonstrators

I like Michael Moore
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 10:34:45 AM »
Want to make a difference? Get some guns and shoot the bastards. Holding up a few signs won't make a lot of people give a fuck.

Scrapheap

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »
Want to make a difference? Get some guns and shoot the bastards. Holding up a few signs won't make a lot of people give a fuck.

:indeed:

:viking:

:litigious: