Author Topic: Dox47  (Read 4669 times)

Osensitive1

Re: Dox47
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2011, 10:25:59 PM »
Didn't think he meant not paying the bill. Assumed he meant the few cents is for the tip. That's what some do for bad service. It makes it clear the tip wasn't merely forgotten.

Why bother with the tip? Probably the note saying 'the sevice was shite, we won't be back' would be enough.

Different countries do things differently, I guess.
Pennies for a tip is insulting and intended to be such. Yes, maybe a cultural thing and don't know if it's done anywhere else. Was only explaining PPK wasn't likely talking about skipping out on the bill.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2011, 10:35:49 PM »
Didn't think he meant not paying the bill. Assumed he meant the few cents is for the tip. That's what some do for bad service. It makes it clear the tip wasn't merely forgotten.

Why bother with the tip? Probably the note saying 'the sevice was shite, we won't be back' would be enough.

Pennies for a tip is insulting and intended to be such. Yes, maybe a cultural thing and don't know if it's done anywhere else. Was only explaining PPK wasn't likely talking about skipping out on the bill.

I guess what we should do is carry around a handful of 1c and 2c coins to try that. Would be funny, as they were discontinued here back in the 80s. Still have maybe a jar of them around somewhere.

Refusing to pay the bill entirely IF they gave the bill at the end would really stick it to them as well, because the customer would be entitled to satisfaction with their meal. Who was that organization that had that slogan 'the customer is ALWAYS right'?

Anyway, at least we haven't had service that bad, so I guess we can never really test the theory.

eris

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2011, 10:43:56 PM »
Quote from: Jimmy Hopkins link=topic=18212.msg804012#msg804012

Who was that organization that had that slogan 'the customer is ALWAYS right'?

every place I ever worked at  ::)

P7PSP

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2011, 10:50:58 PM »
TCO Jack is right about paying the bill and leaving a few cents as tip and why. It really is much more insulting than simply stiffing them on the tip.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2011, 11:07:44 PM »

I guess what we should do is carry around a handful of 1c and 2c coins to try that. Would be funny, as they were discontinued here back in the 80s. Still have maybe a jar of them around somewhere.

Refusing to pay the bill entirely IF they gave the bill at the end would really stick it to them as well, because the customer would be entitled to satisfaction with their meal. Who was that organization that had that slogan 'the customer is ALWAYS right'?

Anyway, at least we haven't had service that bad, so I guess we can never really test the theory.

Here, the meal would have to be exceptionally bad to the point of being pretty much inedible to warrant not paying for the food, like if the soda or beer was flat or the food was burned or there was a bug in the salad or something like that.

If the service was so bad that the food was brought to the table cold, I guess that might be a case where the bad service would warrant not paying for the food, but you couldn't just walk out on the bill, you would have to talk to the manager and explain the situation. 

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2011, 11:12:36 PM »
TCO Jack is right about paying the bill and leaving a few cents as tip and why. It really is much more insulting than simply stiffing them on the tip.

Yes, and I guess it's because they have to count that tip, penny by penny. :zoinks:

But if you REALLY hate the goods and service given, pay the entire bill with tip in pennies, make them work for their money. :laugh:

Too bad it's impractical to hang on to so many pennies though. :(
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Tattle tale
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2011, 11:41:05 PM »
Well, this has moved a ways since I last checked in.  I've heard before that tipping is way different in other countries, back when I was active on the driver boards we had a few British and Australian drivers, and they described a very different job than what it's like in the States.  There are some interesting differences from shop to shop, for instance in my state they have to pay full wage, while some other states allow something called "tip credit" where a restaurant can pay as little as $2.13 an hour if tips make up the difference with federal minimum wage.  Usually it's waiters that get hit with wages that low, though some drivers do get paid under minimum wage in tip credit states.  The per delivery commission also differs greatly, depending upon gas prices and delivery range I've seen everything from $.50 up to $2.50, my shop pays $2.00 per run.  No one seems to know the proper percentage for a delivery tip either, I average around 15-20%,  it depends on the day and the customer.

One of the funnier things I've seen is people who will be abusive on the phone or at the counter, and then proceed to cough up their name, address, phone number, credit card, etc, and trust the person they've just abused to then prepare their food and deliver it to their home.  I can't explain it, it's like a disconnect occurs when they call for delivery that prevents them from realizing the potential danger there.  Same goes for repeat stiffs, the computer tracks their order history, we know who they are, and their level of service will reflect that history.  It's not like in the movies with people spitting in food and such, but people who don't tip will quickly find that their food arrives at the far end of the quoted time and far from hot.  Then there's a little something that drivers like to call a "ghost cut", that's where you don't cut a pizza all the way through in the middle so that the first slice taken pulls all the cheese and topping off the pie...  :LOL:  That's pretty rare on my island though, the place is so small that everyone knows everyone and a reputation as a cheapskate will get back to people, it's really a best case scenario for delivery work.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »

Yes, and I guess it's because they have to count that tip, penny by penny. :zoinks:

But if you REALLY hate the goods and service given, pay the entire bill with tip in pennies, make them work for their money. :laugh:

Too bad it's impractical to hang on to so many pennies though. :(

That's a point.

It's a pity they discarded poo-money (as we called the copper stuff back then). Imagine a large jar of poo-money placed on the table and you just walk out. Real fly on the wall stuff there.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2011, 06:58:44 AM »
Coppers are only valid currency up to around 30p here. People have tried to pay fines with pennies, and  its against the law.

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2011, 08:35:10 AM »

If it's intended like that yes.

Don't forget there are lots of O.A.P's who still consider 50p a lot of money :laugh:

A Taxi Driver I know was once tipped by an old lady who gave her 20p change , but the old dear thought it was a lot of money and gave it with the best of intentions.  :P
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

midlifeaspie

« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2011, 09:57:13 AM »
I tipped 5 bucks last night on a 22 dollar Chinese delivery.  That included a 3 dollar delivery fee, so maybe the driver got 8 bucks?

I like tipping though.  I ordered a pizza on Christmas Eve 2 years ago and tipped the driver $50 on a $20 order.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2011, 06:10:23 PM »
I tipped 5 bucks last night on a 22 dollar Chinese delivery.  That included a 3 dollar delivery fee, so maybe the driver got 8 bucks?

I like tipping though.  I ordered a pizza on Christmas Eve 2 years ago and tipped the driver $50 on a $20 order.

Pizza was probably $19 and the $3 delivery brought it to $22. The tip would have brought it to $27; so yes you probably did pay $8 extra over the price of the pizza.

I think you guys get charged tax on top as well, if I'm not mistaken, like $22 plus tax?

Even though we have 10% gst, it's included in the price, so we get charged the one price. Our old sales tax used to be on last wholesale sale, but the gst applies to last retail sale. Some foods may be exempt, but I think it applies to takeaways and deliveries.

But Squid is right about pensioners - a lot of them can't afford tips and stuff, so they would be lucky just to afford the bill.

And for what Dox said about not paying tips, where funny stuff would happen. If people tried that here, there'd be complaints made to consumer affairs and they'd be in deep shit. Technically, it'd be legalized extortion to charge extra for something which the delivery price was already quoted, and to tamper with the delivery by letting it go cold because they weren't being tipped. Maybe the deliverers should be complaining about the piss-poor hourly rates, form a union and get something done? $2.13 an hour is slave wages, and in most places would be outlawed.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 06:12:29 PM by Jimmy Hopkins »

Psychophant

« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2011, 06:15:19 PM »
The pizza that I order here costs $15,75..........so I give the guy a $20 bill and tell him to keep the change. 

Osensitive1

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2011, 06:20:51 PM »
$2.13 an hour is slave wages, and in most places would be outlawed.
There's legalities involved in jobs that involve federal tip credit and the employee must still receive at least minimum wage after tips, though it's still shit, yes.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Tattle tale
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2011, 02:34:09 AM »
That included a 3 dollar delivery fee, so maybe the driver got 8 bucks?

Doubt it, for most places the DC was put in just to avoid raising their menu prices, that way they can still claim a low price while making up for inflation with the DC.  Used to be everyone had free delivery and stores paid a mileage reimbursement per run, now it's different every different place.  Most of the time though the driver might see a percentage of a DC, but very seldom the whole thing or even close to it.

Good on you for generous tipping though, it's nice to see people not quibbling over things like delivery charges.  :plus: