Author Topic: Can anyone give me advice about moving?  (Read 945 times)

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
Re: Can anyone give me advice about moving?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 10:15:08 PM »
The greatest city in the world...Boston, MA!!! Although your rent restriction will have you living on the fringes of the MBTA.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 10:37:21 PM »
One thing that you should ask yourself is what you would do in the new city.  I know support is important, but what are the JCs like if you'd like to go back to school.  Living in a large city without any money to do things with isn't any fun.  Will you be satisfied with doing very little or can you handle the stress of free events? 

What is your definition of a large city?  When you get an idea, you'll have a starting point.

Pick a few close cities (Memphis, Nashville, etc.) and a few further ones (St. Louis maybe?) and look them up on Wikipedia.  Read their newspapers on-line for a month (every day).  You'll get to know the rents, grocery stores, and get a feel for the cost of living and a quick pulse of the city.  Try to find some maps of the city (on-line) and see how it fits with how you imagined it and how it fits with what you need.

Figure out how much you have available for the move.  How much will you need to get set up in the new place?  What would you take and what might you be able to pick up cheaply in the new place? 

You're a braver man (sic) than I, I don't think I could move to where I don't know anyone.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 12:14:43 AM »
Moving is stressfull. but relax, once you move those "things" that bother you wont be so important anymore and you will forget all about them

For instance, i recently moved. Now i really like the place i live. because (where I was living, comming back here, doesnt compair.) the area is nice, my family is not.
:skywarp:

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 12:25:40 AM »
Moving is stressfull. but relax, once you move those "things" that bother you wont be so important anymore and you will forget all about them

For instance, i recently moved. Now i really like the place i live. because (where I was living, comming back here, doesnt compair.) the area is nice, my family is not.

Duke is talking about a permanent move, not a holiday.

You said you'll fuck off back home when the month is over.

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 12:28:21 AM »
I'm leaving on wendsday, relax fatty.
:skywarp:

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 12:31:49 AM »
I'm leaving on wendsday, relax fatty.

I didn't know there was such a day. I always thought it was Wednesday. Fuck.

Learn something new around here all the time.  :M

Scrapheap

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 01:44:04 AM »
 ::) Ricktard misspells on porposie.  :facepalm2:

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 04:32:34 AM »
::) Ricktard misspells on porposie.  :facepalm2:

Ricky has dickslexia. Due to his peter.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 06:42:31 AM »

When you moved out Richard, did you move to another state? Did you keep your disability income?
Things like that are important to know for Duke indeed.
How do things like that work?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline The Member Formerly Known As Sophist

• Too Eliter for the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I am what I am and that's all what I am.
    • Gestalt: An Autism Forum
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 08:33:16 AM »
If you do have an ASC diagnosis, then I would first search out the cities that have the better autism facilities. (And, yes, I definitely think you'd need to live in the city in order to get adequate public transport.) But first determine where those various locations are, then contact the autism facilities to inquire about getting support, going through the process, basically all the questions and concerns you've said here.

What you need is a social worker who's weather the local climate you're wanting to move into; someone experienced will know the ins and outs. S/he can help you work the system, find a proper apartment for the price range, get on food stamps, get help for utilities, and any other things like that. But the local autism center can ideally be your initial guide as to whether this is feasible.

Would you have the money for moving?
Flibbit.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 12:25:21 PM »
I'm depending on public transport, and do live in a small village. I did look carefully at the bus-connections though. My village is on the route of a bus that runs between four bigger places, with a lot of traffic.

I love the quiet of the village, and the safety. But, if I want to go somewhere late, it can be a problem. Big city would have been better then. It is no real problem for me to get to autism support things during the day though.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 02:41:45 PM »
If you do have an ASC diagnosis, then I would first search out the cities that have the better autism facilities. (And, yes, I definitely think you'd need to live in the city in order to get adequate public transport.) But first determine where those various locations are, then contact the autism facilities to inquire about getting support, going through the process, basically all the questions and concerns you've said here.

What you need is a social worker who's weather the local climate you're wanting to move into; someone experienced will know the ins and outs. S/he can help you work the system, find a proper apartment for the price range, get on food stamps, get help for utilities, and any other things like that. But the local autism center can ideally be your initial guide as to whether this is feasible.

Would you have the money for moving?

Sounds like a lot of work. Let's just say that initially, money will not be much of an issue.

You're pretty much right, though. But that kind of help doesn't come cheap does it?

eris

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
When you decide to where you want to move, you should checkout the public welfare system for that county. Welfare is responsible for HUD and Section 8 housing, and they will help you. I am 100% sure you qualify, but sometimes such programs take a few months to get enrolled in. I suggest that after you figure out where you want to go, apply for these programs in the appropriate county.

Also, you can check craigslist and maybe get a roommate to share costs with ? It's an idea.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 03:43:36 PM »
Have you thought about Canada?

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »
Plus for Canada: CelticGoddess is there. Beautiful country and there would be just as much in theway of welfare and transport as you would find in the States. Prescriptions are cheaper than the States, from what I've heard.

Minus for Canada - Chair. But as Canada is huge, it would hardly be a problem.