Author Topic: Drowning or Play?  (Read 691 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Drowning or Play?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 09:31:33 AM »
We have an island about a mile off shore of out town that you can walk to at low tide from the state park and every year there is at least one person drowns near it.  It's not just the not being able to swim it's knowing what to do when caught in the currents and not panicking 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 09:33:28 AM »
We have an island about a mile off shore of out town that you can walk to at low tide from the state park and every year there is at least one person drowns near it.  It's not just the not being able to swim it's knowing what to do when caught in the currents and not panicking 

They really should teach things like that to kids , swimming and water safety should be made compulsory during P.E IMO.

(Over here P.E is Physical Education , you probably have a different name for it over there  :laugh:)
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 09:35:33 AM »

They really should teach things like that to kids , swimming and water safety should be made compulsory during P.E IMO.

(Over here P.E is Physical Education , you probably have a different name for it over there  :laugh:)

We don't. :)
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »

At last you've dropped the compulsive need to change our words  :zoinks:

But anyway, P.E should have more important sports (like swimming) made compulsory , I mean , soccer / football are ok but it's not going to save your life.
(unless in certain situations)
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 09:38:34 AM »

It was PE in Florida where I grew up but mention PE here in Ct and all you get are blank stares.  I agree with you 100%.  In Florida they don't have it but what they do have at least where I lived was mandatory first aid and emergency care grades 7-9 in PE class which I feel in very important
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 10:04:43 AM »
We have an island about a mile off shore of out town that you can walk to at low tide from the state park and every year there is at least one person drowns near it.  It's not just the not being able to swim it's knowing what to do when caught in the currents and not panicking  

(Over here P.E is Physical Education , you probably have a different name for it over there  :laugh:)

At last you've dropped the compulsive need to change our words  :zoinks:

But anyway, P.E should have more important sports (like swimming) made compulsory , I mean , soccer / football are ok but it's not going to save your life.

Be careful; you might be exiled to America for saying that there are more important sports than soccer. :laugh:

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 10:07:39 AM »
We have an island about a mile off shore of out town that you can walk to at low tide from the state park and every year there is at least one person drowns near it.  It's not just the not being able to swim it's knowing what to do when caught in the currents and not panicking  

(Over here P.E is Physical Education , you probably have a different name for it over there  :laugh:)

At last you've dropped the compulsive need to change our words  :zoinks:

Be careful; you might be exiled to America for saying that there are more important sports than soccer. :laugh:

We're not *all* obsessed with soccer.  :P

Just the weird ones like Soph and Benji :zoinks:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 10:19:17 AM »
:agreed: Swimming is a big thing here because of our warm climate.

I don't like swimming much because I can't see very well without glasses. Used to go as a kid though, my vision was better back then.

Are there special precautions you have to take to go swimming in Australia? The entire continent of Australia is trying to kill you.

Swimming is safe, as you have left the continent  :autism:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 12:34:54 PM »

I don't like swimming much because I can't see very well without glasses. Used to go as a kid though, my vision was better back then.

Are there special precautions you have to take to go swimming in Australia? The entire continent of Australia is trying to kill you.

No....so long as you can skirt the sharks, crocodiles, stingrays, stonefish, blue-ringed octopus, Portuguese Man o' War, rips and so on, you should be fine.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

midlifeaspie

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 12:41:18 PM »

No....so long as you can skirt the sharks, crocodiles, stingrays, stonefish, blue-ringed octopus, Portuguese Man o' War, rips and so on, you should be fine.

But they aren't technically "in Australia"  :autism:

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 12:50:18 PM »

They're within Australia's territorial waters.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 12:56:25 PM »

Yes they find it far easier feeding on Australians there
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 01:06:09 PM »

"Territorial waters" are a socio-political construct.  I was referring to "the continent of Australia"  :nerdy:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 01:08:24 PM »

"Territorial waters" are a socio-political construct.  I was referring to "the continent of Australia"  :nerdy:

In that case the crocodiles, feral pigs, snakes, spiders and the drop bears.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 01:09:42 PM »

Swimming is safe, as you have left the continent  :autism:

But they aren't technically "in Australia"  :autism:

"Territorial waters" are a socio-political construct.  I was referring to "the continent of Australia"  :nerdy:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Geologically, the continent extends to the edge of the continental shelf, so the now-separate lands can still be considered a continent. Due to the spread of flora and fauna across the single Pleistocene landmass the separate lands have a related biota.

Source