Author Topic: Tornado in N. California  (Read 413 times)

P7PSP

Tornado in N. California
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:43:33 PM »
I just saw a report of a tornado in Butte County. We rarely have these in CA but 3 or 4 small ones in a decade may be about right. This one was a real light weight compared to the EF4s and EF5s that have nailed Alabama and Joplin Mo lately. Those people in Alabama and Joplin MO. have it bad. Butte County is two counties away from my county. Earthquakes and rotational slump slides are bad enough. I don't like tornadoes.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Tornado in N. California
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »
 I can't watch it, embedding has been disabled and my computer blocked the link because it considers it a pop-up.   :nerdy:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:49:31 PM »
I have seen footage on the news of those tornadoes in Alabama etc. Apparently it is the worst it has been in decades.

We get nothing like that here and I am thankful.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

P7PSP

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:53:04 PM »
This one works but does not show the garage that got wiped out.

P7PSP

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 09:55:49 PM »
I have seen footage on the news of those tornadoes in Alabama etc. Apparently it is the worst it has been in decades.

We get nothing like that here and I am thankful.
Yeah tornadoes suck. There are a few hundred people dead in Alabama and massive property destruction. An EF5 can peel the asphalt off of a highway. Last report of the EF5 that wiped out Joplin was 120+ dead and climbing. 

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 10:00:36 PM »
This one works but does not show the garage that got wiped out.

:plus:  for an awesome video that I can watch!  What freaky weather!

People forget.

P7PSP

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 10:08:56 PM »
You get those big Nor'Easters in NE CBC. Those are bad from accounts I have read.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 10:12:34 PM »
You get those big Nor'Easters in NE CBC. Those are bad from accounts I have read.

Yes, we have had some bad storms here.  The Blizzard of '78 resulted in a state of emergency being declared in Massachusetts.   :snowing:   
 Then there was the ice storm in December 2008, I had no heat or electricity for five days but stayed in my cold dark house anyway!

People forget.

P7PSP

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 10:20:17 PM »

Yes, we have had some bad storms here.  The Blizzard of '78 resulted in a state of emergency being declared in Massachusetts.   :snowing:   
 Then there was the ice storm in December 2008, I had no heat or electricity for five days but stayed in my cold dark house anyway!
Because it was colder outside.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 10:21:44 PM »

:lol:   I mean as opposed to staying in someone else's house where there was power.

People forget.

P7PSP

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 10:25:29 PM »

:lol:   I mean as opposed to staying in someone else's house where there was power.
:agreed: I would tend to guard my place with loaded AKS, 12 gauge pump and pistols.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 10:28:20 PM »

:agreed: I would tend to guard my place with loaded AKS, 12 gauge pump and pistols.

Mine was guarded by virtue of being pitch dark at night so thieves would have fallen on the stairs and hurt themselves!    :lolhit:

People forget.

P7PSP

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 10:34:15 PM »

Mine was guarded by virtue of being pitch dark at night so thieves would have fallen on the stairs and hurt themselves!    :lolhit:
I like my method better.  :tooledup:  :flamer:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 10:36:11 PM »
I've wondered why we don't hear of tornadoes in other countries, so I went to Wikipedia for the answer.

The United States has the most tornadoes of any country, nearly four times more than estimated in all of Europe, excluding waterspouts.[61] This is mostly due to the unique geography of the continent. North America is a large continent that extends from the tropics north into arctic areas, and has no major east-west mountain range to block air flow between these two areas. In the middle latitudes, where most tornadoes of the world occur, the Rocky Mountains block moisture and buckle the atmospheric flow, forcing drier air at mid-levels of the troposphere due to downsloped winds, and causing the formation of a low pressure area downwind to the east of the mountains. Increased westerly flow off the Rockies force the formation of a dry line when the flow aloft is strong,[62] while the Gulf of Mexico fuels abundant low-level moisture in the southerly flow to its east. This unique topography allows for frequent collisions of warm and cold air, the conditions that breed strong, long-lived storms throughout the year. A large portion of these tornadoes form in an area of the central United States known as Tornado Alley.[7] This area extends into Canada, particularly Ontario and the Prairie Provinces, although southeast Quebec, interior British Columbia, and western New Brunswick are also tornado-prone.[63] Tornadoes also occur across northeastern Mexico.[4]

The United States averages about 1,200 tornadoes per year. The Netherlands has the highest average number of recorded tornadoes per area of any country (more than 20, or 0.0013 per sq mi (0.00048 per km2), annually), followed by the UK (around 33, or 0.00035 per sq mi (0.00013 per km2), per year),[64][65] but most are small and cause minor damage. In absolute number of events, ignoring area, the UK experiences more tornadoes than any other European country, excluding waterspouts.[61]

Intense tornado activity in the United States. The darker-colored areas denote the area commonly referred to as Tornado Alley.Tornadoes kill an average of 179 people per year in Bangladesh, the most in the world. This is due to high population density, poor quality of construction and lack of tornado safety knowledge, as well as other factors.[66][67] Other areas of the world that have frequent tornadoes include South Africa, parts of Argentina, Paraguay, and southern Brazil, as well as portions of Europe, Australia and New Zealand, and far eastern Asia.[8]
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 10:43:36 PM »
   My mother was a young nurse who
  took care of some casualties of this event: