Author Topic: Genderless Children  (Read 1475 times)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Genderless Children
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2011, 06:57:54 PM »
Hate the idea of seperating children. Would have hated going to a seme sex school. Think it's a disgraceful idea.

In Scotland, and N.Ireland, Protestants and Catholics are educated seperately. I hate it with a passion. I spent my whole time at school seperated from my friends. One of my pet hates.

P7PSP

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2011, 07:01:22 PM »
Hate the idea of seperating children. Would have hated going to a seme sex school. Think it's a disgraceful idea.

In Scotland, and N.Ireland, Protestants and Catholics are educated seperately. I hate it with a passion. I spent my whole time at school seperated from my friends. One of my pet hates.

During the height of the troubles it may have been for the better.  :dunno:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2011, 07:10:28 PM »
I agree. My mum is strongly against my brotheers goign to a same sex school

It kinda sucks here as the three schools in my area are:

One mixed grammar (which is where I went, so she doesn't want him going there and having a similar experience)
One boys only
One girls only

So it looks like he is gonna have to travel out of the area. I hope he doesn't end up going to my old school anyway. And the boys school has quite a bad reputation, altho improving

Traveling out of the area for a better school is the best option, IMO.

Of course, I would think that since I went with my daughter every day over an hour each way to a nearby city so she could attend a specialized school for autistic children. 

I think that the parents who call their baby boy or girl "it" aren't doing "it" any favors if they are able to keep it up in the long run, but I also think that since their older two sons know the secret, it won't stay a secret for very long, so IMO the "long run" will take care of itself.  If not, then I think that their little "it" will be upset with them when s/he is old enough to understand that they decided to treat "it" like a lab rat instead of their beloved child.  My guess is that it's another boy and they got fed up with nosy relatives wanting to know the sex even before it was born.

I knew for sure before my daughter was born that I was having a girl (because I had to have amniocentesis) and she had both unisex clothes like sleepers and overalls and adorable frilly baby girl dresses.  My husband and I made sure that she had Tonka trucks, all sorts of puzzles and books, stuffed animals, baby dolls, play kitchen and food, and probably just about every other kind of toy parents buy for either their sons or their daughters.  We want her to know that we will love and support her no matter what.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2011, 07:15:16 PM »

Maybe, or maybe it might have helped calm the troubles. Maybe if kids went to the same schools they would have seen that the "other side" were people too. Maybe seperating them from birth helped propegate the idea that the "other side" were sub-human scum. Of course, maybe putting them in the same school would have been absolute carnage, and nobody would have left school alive. I have no idea how it would have turned out. Might have made for an interesting fly-on-the-wall documentary though :laugh:

The troubles are largely in the past now, and I think an important step towards lasting respect would be to educate the children together.

Scotland has never had the troubles that N.Ireland had, and I don't think there is any justification for educating kids seperately in Scotland

P7PSP

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2011, 07:19:40 PM »

Maybe, or maybe it might have helped calm the troubles. Maybe if kids went to the same schools they would have seen that the "other side" were people too. Maybe seperating them from birth helped propegate the idea that the "other side" were sub-human scum. Of course, maybe putting them in the same school would have been absolute carnage, and nobody would have left school alive. I have no idea how it would have turned out. Might have made for an interesting fly-on-the-wall documentary though :laugh:

The troubles are largely in the past now, and I think an important step towards lasting respect would be to educate the children together.

Scotland has never had the troubles that N.Ireland had, and I don't think there is any justification for educating kids seperately in Scotland
I missed that you listed Scotland on my first read of that post.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2011, 10:46:58 PM »
Cool, you go there too. Yeah I heard about it over there and I thought it was weird. I am sure the kid will know soon anyway because he is going to learn boys have penises and girls do not and since he has one, he must be a boy. And I think the baby looks like a boy so I am calling it a he. But in that article he looked like a she but in the other one I saw, she looked like a boy. I'll stick with boy than calling him a "it."

Don't most 4 month old babies just look like... babies

Uh yeah, all of them do. Don't most kids look like kids?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2011, 02:06:04 AM »
A bit late into this discussion, but I think what the parents are doing is fucked up. It's a social experiment that, regardless of any good intentions they have or any vision of a future brave new world they might have, is bound to fail because society isn't like that and won't change into anything resembling it during the poor kid's lifetime. It's cruel and unnecessary and probably harmful.

I don't think it's possible to change evolutionary mechanisms in this way.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2011, 03:26:52 AM »
Cool, you go there too. Yeah I heard about it over there and I thought it was weird. I am sure the kid will know soon anyway because he is going to learn boys have penises and girls do not and since he has one, he must be a boy. And I think the baby looks like a boy so I am calling it a he. But in that article he looked like a she but in the other one I saw, she looked like a boy. I'll stick with boy than calling him a "it."

Don't most 4 month old babies just look like... babies

Uh yeah, all of them do. Don't most kids look like kids?

:facepalm2:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2011, 03:29:15 AM »

I think that the parents who call their baby boy or girl "it" aren't doing "it" any favors

I doubt very much that they call their kid "it"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2011, 05:59:30 AM »

I think that the parents who call their baby boy or girl "it" aren't doing "it" any favors

So what do they call it?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2011, 06:02:50 AM »

So what do they call it?

Thing
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2011, 07:12:50 AM »
Sounded like they always said "Storm" instead of a pronoun, which is fricking awkward.

I think they've taken it too far and isolated their kids for no good cause. At the point where a five-year-old doesn't want to go to regular school because he's going to be made fun of for something his parents are pushing him into doing, there is a problem. It's a great idea in theory and I would prefer a society where all kids are raised gender neutral until they pick a gender, but sucks to be the pioneers and you shouldn't conscript your babies into that. Those boys are probably going to grow up into macho men to spite their parents.  :laugh:

It's like when a kid starts asking hard questions about death or whatever... you should tell them the truth and let them make their own decisions, but not blow the whole thing out of proportion into a giant issue.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2011, 08:49:05 AM »
Sounded like they always said "Storm" instead of a pronoun, which is fricking awkward.

I think they've taken it too far and isolated their kids for no good cause. At the point where a five-year-old doesn't want to go to regular school because he's going to be made fun of for something his parents are pushing him into doing, there is a problem. It's a great idea in theory and I would prefer a society where all kids are raised gender neutral until they pick a gender, but sucks to be the pioneers and you shouldn't conscript your babies into that. Those boys are probably going to grow up into macho men to spite their parents.  :laugh:

It's like when a kid starts asking hard questions about death or whatever... you should tell them the truth and let them make their own decisions, but not blow the whole thing out of proportion into a giant issue.

:agreed:  :plus:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2011, 08:55:22 AM »
Instead of saving the kid from an identity crisis I feel it's setting him/her for one. 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2011, 09:21:58 AM »
I also agree with Pyraxis, although the other two boys seem to be growing up fine so far. They still may turn into macho men to spite their parents, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did actually just grow up to be themselves