Educational

Author Topic: Kid playing with dead squirrel  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Enos

• Earliest Common Ancestor of the Aspie Elite
  • Frequent Poster
    • My facebook
Kid playing with dead squirrel
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:18:16 PM »
Have any of you seen this video? A little girl picks up and feels a dead squirrel that the dog recently killed. I find this video cute because she's just checking out the squirrel and she has not yet reached the age where people go "ew!" over dead things or other so called no-go areas, just innocent curiosity about the world around her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nn0UkdDArM&feature=player_embedded#at=130

Swat PETA, not flies

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Kid playing with dead squirrel
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 06:34:38 PM »
That's cute and gross at the same time :laugh:

Not sure if the parents should be letting a child play with a dead squirrel though

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 06:37:35 PM »
They should have taken it away sooner.  Curiosity is one thing but they should have explained that it wasn't something that she should do.  Dead or not rabies could still be caught from a fresh kill
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 06:44:03 PM »
They should have taken it away sooner.  Curiosity is one thing but they should have explained that it wasn't something that she should do.  Dead or not rabies could still be caught from a fresh kill

:indeed:

Not to mention the many bacteria it could hold.
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

midlifeaspie

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 06:58:25 PM »
It is very freshly killed. Squirrels can't really carry rabies and as an herbivore carries fewer harmful bacteria and parasites than the family dog.  The kid is too young to understand what death is I think, probably thought of it as a doll, or a very complacent pet.  In another couple of hours it would be a different story all together as the GI bacteria start liberating from the gut and spreading through the corpse.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 07:09:15 PM »
Thank G_d, sensible parents.  It is refreshing to see an innocent child outside with only panties on, enjoying the world.  It is heart warming to see parents that will let her experience the squirrel.  The mom didn't freak out and run for the antibacterial goop, they just matter of factly handled it calmly.  Great parents.

And no, this is not a tongue in cheek comment, it's sincere.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 07:13:21 PM »
Thank G_d, sensible parents.  It is refreshing to see an innocent child outside with only panties on, enjoying the world.  It is heart warming to see parents that will let her experience the squirrel.  The mom didn't freak out and run for the antibacterial goop, they just matter of factly handled it calmly.  Great parents.

And no, this is not a tongue in cheek comment, it's sincere.
:indeed:

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 07:16:32 PM »
It is very freshly killed. Squirrels can't really carry rabies and as an herbivore carries fewer harmful bacteria and parasites than the family dog.  The kid is too young to understand what death is I think, probably thought of it as a doll, or a very complacent pet.  In another couple of hours it would be a different story all together as the GI bacteria start liberating from the gut and spreading through the corpse.

Oh ok then nevermind.

I don't have a problem with the fact she's curious and etc and I do think it's good the parents encourage that , my only concern was for the child herself as I wasn't sure about how harmful it could be.
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 07:18:03 PM »

Oh ok then nevermind.

I don't have a problem with the fact she's curious and etc and I do think it's good the parents encourage that , my only concern was for the child herself as I wasn't sure about how harmful it could be.

I used to raise orphaned baby squirrels, they are pretty benign.   :police:

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 07:21:51 PM »

Oh ok then nevermind.

I meant as in bacteria not viciousness  :laugh:

And aww thats sweet.  :)

midlifeaspie

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »

Oh ok then nevermind.

Me too.  They don't carry bacteria like rats do.  Even rats get a bad rap as they are perfectly clean if they are raised in captivity.

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 07:24:28 PM »

Oh ok then nevermind.

Me too.  They don't carry bacteria like rats do.  Even rats get a bad rap as they are perfectly clean if they are raised in captivity.

I meant as in it being dead lol , but I guess being a fresh kill it should be ok.

And yes I knew that about Rats , it's like people assume the plague was caused by Rats when infact it was their fleas.  :viking:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 07:25:34 PM »
Sorry.  I don't mean to belabor the point  :-[

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 07:52:34 PM »

I didn't know that squirrels couldn't carry rabies.

I heard a funny story from another mother, whose child picked up a limp squirrel in their yard.  She saw her child handling what she thought was a dead squirrel and yelled out the window in a panic for him to drop it and he did.  Then before she could call him inside to wash his hands, he popped his fingers into his mouth and she panicked.  She went outside, retrieved the squirrel and had someone check out the squirrel she now realized was actually still alive to make sure that it didn't have any diseases that could hurt her child.  It was otherwise healthy but actually had a hurt leg and they fixed it at a wildlife rescue place before releasing it again.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 07:55:11 PM »

I didn't know that squirrels couldn't carry rabies.

It is possible, but very rare.  They are usually too fragile to survive the bite that would transmit the disease.