Author Topic: Riva Ritvo/Ritvo Clinic  (Read 8909 times)

Offline kahns

• Rookie (be kind to me)
Re: Riva Ritvo/Ritvo Clinic
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 04:08:44 PM »
Thank you all. Appreciate the responses.

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 06:12:33 PM »
I agree with the person who said you are conducting a vendetta.

get a life!

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 06:31:21 PM »

get a life!

The lady claims to have a Ph. D. on her website, where she solicits people on the autism spectrum to come to her clinic.

Riva Ariella Ritvo, PhD.

The Ritvo Clinic provides comprehensive diagnostic and treatment services for children and adults with autism and related developmental disorders. In addition, we provide medical consultation and other services for adolescents and adults with eating disorders and relationship problems.

Dr. Riva Ariella Ritvo

Doctor Riva Ariella Ritvo (Doctor Ari) is a clinician and a biomedical researcher specializing in children and adults with Asperger's and Autistic Disorders. She is the director of the Ritvo Clinic and a clinical instructor at the Yale Child Study Center, Yale Univesity School of Medicine. Dr. Riva Ariella Ritvo has been diagnosing and treating individuals with autism spectrum disorders for over 20 years. She has extensive education and training in occupational therapy, neurosciences, and psychology. Dr. Riva Ariella Ritvo recently developed a diagnostic system for adults with Asperger's Disorder (see RAADS). Dr. Ritvo also evaluates and treats adolescents and young adults with eating disorders and relationship difficulties.

Dr. Ari has given numerous lectures internationally about autism and Asperger's Disorder and has been a consultant on several books and TV movies. She published papers on clinical characteristics of adults with autism, melatonin variations, and cognitive stability of autistic children. Most recently, Dr. Riva Ari Ritvo submitted her new diagnostic scale for publication. Her paper was accepted and is in press now. Preliminary results look promising. The initial data on the RAADS is being published in the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disabilities. Dr. Riva Ariella Ritvo has many neurodiverse friends who have taught her that there is more than one acceptable way to view life and its people.

She claimed to have a Ph. D. in Neuroscience and a Master's Degree in Occupational Therapy in her wedding announcement in the New York Times, but The New York Times did some fact checking and discovered that she has only a Bachelor's Degree in Occupational Therapy and that's it.  Although she spent more time in school, she didn't earn any more degrees.

Don't you think that it sucks that she's recruiting people on WP to be her guinea pigs claiming to be a Ph. D. when she's actually a fraud?

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 06:48:56 PM »

get a life!

The lady claims to have a Ph. D. on her website, where she solicits people on the autism spectrum to come to her clinic.

Riva Ariella Ritvo, PhD.

The Ritvo Clinic provides comprehensive diagnostic and treatment services for children and adults with autism and related developmental disorders. In addition, we provide medical consultation and other services for adolescents and adults with eating disorders and relationship problems.

Dr. Riva Ariella Ritvo

Doctor Riva Ariella Ritvo (Doctor Ari) is a clinician and a biomedical researcher specializing in children and adults with Asperger's and Autistic Disorders. She is the director of the Ritvo Clinic and a clinical instructor at the Yale Child Study Center, Yale Univesity School of Medicine. Dr. Riva Ariella Ritvo has been diagnosing and treating individuals with autism spectrum disorders for over 20 years. She has extensive education and training in occupational therapy, neurosciences, and psychology. Dr. Riva Ariella Ritvo recently developed a diagnostic system for adults with Asperger's Disorder (see RAADS). Dr. Ritvo also evaluates and treats adolescents and young adults with eating disorders and relationship difficulties.

Dr. Ari has given numerous lectures internationally about autism and Asperger's Disorder and has been a consultant on several books and TV movies. She published papers on clinical characteristics of adults with autism, melatonin variations, and cognitive stability of autistic children. Most recently, Dr. Riva Ari Ritvo submitted her new diagnostic scale for publication. Her paper was accepted and is in press now. Preliminary results look promising. The initial data on the RAADS is being published in the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disabilities. Dr. Riva Ariella Ritvo has many neurodiverse friends who have taught her that there is more than one acceptable way to view life and its people.

She claimed to have a Ph. D. in Neuroscience and a Master's Degree in Occupational Therapy in her wedding announcement in the New York Times, but The New York Times did some fact checking and discovered that she has only a Bachelor's Degree in Occupational Therapy and that's it.  Although she spent more time in school, she didn't earn any more degrees.

Don't you think that it sucks that she's recruiting people on WP to be her guinea pigs claiming to be a Ph. D. when she's actually a fraud?

yep i do, think of all the money she must have raked in  -  i bet it's not free is it?  i don't even care who khan is or his motive,  exposing
a fake doctor can only be a win win situation for everyone else
blah blah blah

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »

get a life!

says the conspiracy theorist?

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »

get a life!

says the conspiracy theorist?
yeah. What the fuck is it to ya. shit for brains.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 07:49:11 PM »
According to the pilot study for the RAADS, Riva Ritvo is affiliated with the Yale Child Study Center at the Yale University School of Medicine. The study is interesting; it reports that the RAADS is nearly perfect as a diagnostic tool. I can't find any follow-up studies.

Quote from: Abstract
An empirically based 78 question self-rating scale based on DSM-IV-TR and ICD-10 criteria was developed to assist clinicians' diagnosis of adults with autism and Asperger's Disorder--the Ritvo Autism and Asperger's Diagnostic Scale (RAADS). It was standardized on 17 autistic and 20 Asperger's Disorder and 57 comparison subjects. Both autistic and Asperger's groups scored significantly higher than comparison groups with no overlap; sensitivity, specificity, and content validity equaled one. Cronbach's alpha coefficients of internal consistency of three subscales were satisfactory. Gender, age, and diagnostic categories were not significantly associated factors. The RAADS can be administered and scored in less than an hour and may be useful as a clinical scale to assist identification of autism and Asperger's Disorder in adults. The RAADS does not distinguish between autism and Asperger's Disorder.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Osensitive1

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 09:07:40 PM »
Post a link to that.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 09:10:56 PM »
Post a link to that.

Article. Click on the link for full text.

Riva Ritvo's affiliation is immediately below the keywords.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Osensitive1

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2011, 09:11:19 PM »
Thanks.

eris

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2011, 09:11:39 PM »
Hi,

I am a freelance journalist looking for anybody who has had professional contact with the Ritvo Clinic in Beverly Hills or with Dr. Riva Ariella Ritvo, who appears to have advertised herself as a clinician specializing in autism and Asperger's without having had a license to practice psychology in California and - for a time - without having had the Master's or Ph.D she claimed to possess. (Here is the website for her clinic: http://www.rivaariellaritvo.net)

If you have had any professional interaction with Dr. Riva Ritvo or the Ritvo Clinic, please contact me at samkahn1@gmail.com or call at 917-622-2538.
Confidentiality assured.

Regards,
Sam

wanna cyber ?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2011, 02:59:58 PM »
Welcome, etc. Should I get the popcorn?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2011, 03:07:59 PM »
I don't think kahns plays well with Autistics.  He was polite however.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2011, 03:10:24 PM »
That he was, but I'm suspicious by nature. Something is not right here.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

midlifeaspie

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »
That he was, but I'm suspicious by nature. Something is not right here.

He did a much better job summarizing by email:

Who I am and why I'm interested in this:

I am a freelance journalist, with clips in Dissent, Global Post, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, etc, and with on-air credits for 60 Minutes. I was looking into doing a piece for the Yale Alumni Magazine about Alan Slifka, who recently passed away, and was a major donor to Yale (he was a Wall Street guy and worth hundreds of millions).  While researching Slifka, I started finding this information about his wife, Riva, which made her seem more than a little fishy. I have a certain amount of interest in uncovering information that Riva Ritvo is a fraud - I'd like to try and run an article, possibly in New York Magazine or something like that - but I've never met her and have no personal vendetta.

My view at this point is that she diagnosed and treated autism and Asperger's patients without a license and posed as an expert on autism without possessing the degrees she claimed to have. That would be serious misconduct, but I would need to know a lot more about her clinic and about her before I could make any claims or write an article.

What I've found:

From the late '80s to 2004, Riva Ritvo claimed to be a practicing psychologist, specializing in autism and Asperger's, and claimed to have a a master's and Ph.D in neuroscience from USC.
Here is a resume she posted online, which features her guest speaker appearances and her participation in scientific papers during this period: http://www.ringsurf.com/online/2554-autism.html

In 2004, someone outed her phony credentials, when she padded her resume in a wedding vow that ran in The New York Times.
Here is the Times' article with the correction included: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/15/style/weddings-celebrations-riva-ritvo-alan-slifka.html

After she was outed for not possessing the degrees she had, Ritvo got a Master's and Ph.D from the California Graduate Institute, an unaccredited school in Westwood. However, she never got a license to practice psychology in California.
Here is the California verification page where she should appear if she were a licensed psychologist: http://www2.dca.ca.gov/pls/wllpub/WLLQRYNA$LCEV2.ActionQuery

Riva Ritvo continues to advertise herself as a practicing psychologist, saying that she has been 'diagnosing and treating individuals with autism spectrum disorders for over twenty years,' which would mean that she was handling cases without any credentialing or licensure.
Here is a link to her website: http://www.rivaariellaritvo.net/aboutus.html

From the little I know of her personality, she seems to be uniquely unqualified to be a practicing therapist.
Here is the URL for her outburst on Wrong Planet in 2007: http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=43232&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45
Again, she claims to have run a clinic for 'the past ten years.'

She is currently listed as a clinical instructor at the Yale Child Study Center, which may be not so coincidentally related to her husband's having given $3 million to the Child Study Center.
Here is information from Yale mentioning her husband's donation: http://www.medicineatyale.org/v6i1_jan_feb_2010/index.html

What I would like to know:

It's not clear to me if Riva Ritvo was lying about her practice altogether - if she wanted her Beverly Hills crowd and Yale to think that she was a practicing psychologist - or if (much worse) she really saw a decade or two decades' worth of patients without licensure or credentials. I've talked to L.A. clinicians who've heard of her practice (mostly they've heard of her ex-husband, who was a prominent researcher at UCLA) but none of them knew anything much about it.
I'd like to talk to anyone who has visited the Ritvo Clinic or had professional contact with Riva Ritvo, either in L.A. or at Yale, to try and get a sense of how actively she was practicing psychology.

Thank you for your help on this.
Best regards,
Sam Kahn