Author Topic: CG's Health Food Thread  (Read 1482 times)

Celticgoddess

CG's Health Food Thread
« on: March 31, 2011, 04:37:53 PM »
I've been a wee bit obsessed with juicing fruits and veggies, making homemade teas,  fresh herbs and all that good stuff. Time to give it its own thread since it could benefit all.  8) Today I made Brocco-Carrot juice. Really good! So many people put stuff into their bodies not knowing (or maybe not caring either, fair enough) of the damage it can do. On the flipside, most don't know the benefits to things they can easily add to their diet as well.

Brocco-Carrot Juice
1 spear broccoli
2 carrots
1 apple

Using a juicer, process broccoli, carrots, and apple. Whisk and pour into a glass. Serves 1.

Broccoli: Antioxidant, anticancer, promotes healing, anticataracts. High in Vitamin E. Also high in cancer fighting indoles and glucosinolates and fairly high in Vitamin A, B, and C.

Carrots: Antioxidant, anticancer, protects arteries, expectorant, antiseptic, diuretic, boost immunity, antibacterial, lower blood cholesterol levels, prevents constipation. Extremely nutritious and high in vitamin A, B, C, iron, calcium, potassium, and sodium. It has a cleansing effect on the liver and digestive system, helps prevent the formation of kidney stones and relieve arthritis and gout. Their antioxidant properties come from carotenoids (including beta carotene) which have been shown to cut cancer risk, protect against arterial and cardiac disease, and lower blood cholesterol. Enhances mental function. Decreases risk of cataracts and mascular degeneration.

Apple: Tonic, digestive, diuretic, detoxifying, laxative, antiseptic, lower blood cholesterol, anti rheumatic, liver stimulant. Helps cleanse the system, keep blood sugar level up and aid digestion. Useful in cleansing fasts because they help eliminate toxins. Good source of vitamin A. Contain vitamin B, C, and riboflavin and are high in two important phytochemicals: pectin and boron.

Binty

Re: CG's Health Food Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:40:12 PM »
Buy this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Innocent-Smoothie-Recipe-Book-Recipes/dp/000721376X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301611116&sr=1-1

It also has recipes for juices and the smoothies are yummy.

As for tea, Clipper teas are the best.

This blog is also good for healthy recipes:

http://www.101cookbooks.com/

Celticgoddess

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 04:46:21 PM »
I've got a ridiculous amount of cookbooks already. :laugh: Three on juicing alone. Love the cooking link though. Hope Lutra sees that. Bet he would be interested as well.

TheoK

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 05:08:19 PM »
Pizza!  :orly:

DukeNukem

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 05:11:05 PM »
Fuck "healthy" food and "healthy" lifestyles! I'd like to be able to live a little, you know! :wanker:

Osensitive1

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 05:12:26 PM »
Healthy people have living a lot in mind.

DukeNukem

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 05:16:06 PM »
Maybe I just don't care enough about myself to try to live a more "healthy" lifestyle.

I don't want to deprive myself of the closest thing I get to joy in this fucking pathetic life of mine.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 05:17:48 PM »
Maybe I just don't care enough about myself to try to live a more "healthy" lifestyle.

I don't want to deprive myself of the closest thing I get to joy in this fucking pathetic life of mine.

I understand that way of thinking, but as my weight climbs and I acquire more aches and pains,
I find less joy in eating the stuff that makes me sluggish and fat.  :thumbdn:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Celticgoddess

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 05:40:25 PM »
Fuck "healthy" food and "healthy" lifestyles! I'd like to be able to live a little, you know! :wanker:

Healthy isn't about getting rid of anything not deemed healthy enough by the food gods. It's about moderation and balance. I still eat anything I want. But I also balance it by trying to get enough veggies and fruits and water intake. That's not being ridiculous, it's being smart. So many things we experience (depression, headaches, allergies, aches and pains etc) can be helped with a change in what we consume. Not cured (some things are biological, genetic, involve hormones and chemicals.need medication) and I'm not someone who jumps on the crazy train but I like feeling my best and I know that in order for that to happen I have to respect what my body needs. That is just me and nowhere did I suggest that should apply to everyone else. To each other own.  8)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 03:42:00 AM »

Healthy isn't about getting rid of anything not deemed healthy enough by the food gods. It's about moderation and balance. I still eat anything I want. But I also balance it by trying to get enough veggies and fruits and water intake. That's not being ridiculous, it's being smart. So many things we experience (depression, headaches, allergies, aches and pains etc) can be helped with a change in what we consume. Not cured (some things are biological, genetic, involve hormones and chemicals.need medication) and I'm not someone who jumps on the crazy train but I like feeling my best and I know that in order for that to happen I have to respect what my body needs. That is just me and nowhere did I suggest that should apply to everyone else. To each other own.  8)

Relatives of mine almost completely have jumped on the crazy train. But, they balance it by one day a week of complete indulging on the forbidden things. It's just funny to see the difference.

If you don't jump on the crazy train, there is a lot of stuff to be found that just tastes good and is healthy.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 07:59:01 AM »
I think juicing veges etc is great, but I like the interaction of 'eating' the food, so a nice green salad is my preferred way to intake veges.

I think you just have to give your body it's best shot, and it's easy to become complacent if all is going well. Pentagram, you should not have man boobs at your age or any age, so why not try to eat healthy, or at least give it a shot before you dismiss it? Even though you think food is your only pleasure, you've already started a thread about saving on your cost of food.

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 09:12:52 AM »
Cool thread, CG. Um, may I drop my random cooking adventures here as well?

Well, first post then.. a really simple yet healthy vegetable salad.. (raw and nice):

* topped carrot (or a couple of bunched carrots)
* onion
* apple

All 3 above cleaned/peeled and chopped small.

* yoghurt
* little mayonnaise
* lemon juice
* salt and pepper

(could add some raisins, if wished)
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 09:15:23 AM »
Cool thread, CG. Um, may I drop my random cooking adventures here as well?

Well, first post then.. a really simple yet healthy vegetable salad.. (raw and nice):

* topped carrot (or a couple of bunched carrots)
* onion
* apple

All 3 above cleaned/peeled and chopped small.

* yoghurt
* little mayonnaise
* lemon juice
* salt and pepper

(could add some raisins, if wished)

Lutra, this is something I've not heard of...but sounds like I would like to try it. Thanks for that...I will have that adventure tomorrow.

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 09:54:24 AM »
^
Yeah, give it a try..

~

Healthy isn't about getting rid of anything not deemed healthy enough by the food gods. It's about moderation and balance. I still eat anything I want. But I also balance it by trying to get enough veggies and fruits and water intake. That's not being ridiculous, it's being smart. So many things we experience (depression, headaches, allergies, aches and pains etc) can be helped with a change in what we consume. Not cured (some things are biological, genetic, involve hormones and chemicals.need medication) and I'm not someone who jumps on the crazy train but I like feeling my best and I know that in order for that to happen I have to respect what my body needs. That is just me and nowhere did I suggest that should apply to everyone else. To each other own.

100% agreeing here. The importance of eating healthy food is underestimated. Still folks don't get the correlation between eating healthy food and general physical well-being. (eat crap all the time and feel like it)
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Celticgoddess

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 10:20:49 AM »
^ Exactly. Will have to give that salad a try too. Sounds good.

This morning I juiced a soft salad.

*1 head bok choy
*1 carrot, top removed
*2 celery stalks
*1 wedge pineapple

Put through the juicer, whisk, pour in a glass. Tastes like chilly tomato soup. It was really good. One of the main benefits of juicing is that you get the optimal nutritional benefit because once the nutrients are exposed to oxygen, it loses it's value.