Educational

Author Topic: Argument with an instructor.  (Read 1751 times)

DukeNukem

Argument with an instructor.
« on: February 15, 2011, 09:58:47 PM »
I have stated once that I have an instructor for two of my classes whose voice sounds like he has a mouth full of peanut butter. Well, in my Windows 7 class, I have just recently found out that I have been missing homework assignments without knowing about them. I believe that the homework assignments and how to do them should be made obvious on the online page of the class. So, I decided to hit up Mr. Mumbo-Jumbo on the public discussion forum on that page. All names and locations have been censored for safety and privacy reasons.

Pentagram (me): I didn't know until last night that there were assignments for this class due weekly. In class, I didn't hear anything about there being homework. And I don't see anywhere that tells us exactly how we are supposed to do it. I'm sorry, but I believe that you should do more to let us know of what our assignments are and how to do them, especially because they are for a grade.

Instructor: I have explained this multiple times in class. Did you really think you would take a class with no assignments? Have you used eLearn and seen the assignments in the Content area?

Pentagram: I have only found the assignment list on eLearn last night. But it doesn't explain exactly how to do it and I can't find that information on here. I wonder how many other students are potentially failing (or have failed) your class due to your failure to properly notify us of our homework assignments! And I suggest you get a microphone and some speakers or some other way to amplify your voice, because quite frankly, we can't hear exactly what you're saying.

Instructor: I am not going to discuss this in a public forum. I find it interesting that you have not come by my office or talked to me after class about any of this, rather you want to criticize me in a public forum. Why is that?

I told you in an e-mail to come to my office and you have not as of yet. I will only discuss this in person, so man up and come by.

Pentagram: You're not going to say exactly how to do our assigments right here on eLearn so that everyone can see it? Seems like that would be a lot easier than having to mumble it to your students over and over again. In fact, you should have done so before even the first week started. Now you should let me catch up so that I don't have my grade muddled with zeros that aren't even my fault. Or I will do more than criticize you in a public forum. I'll file a complain with the JSCC administration. How about that?

Instructor: Your concerns are being addressed.

After this, I have gotten an email from the Assistant Dean of the Technical Department asking me to come to his office on Thursday afternoon to discuss my intent with what I have posted. Oh boy, this is going to be fun! :zoinks:

eris

Re: Argument with an instructor.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 10:05:16 PM »
You can get probation for this, it's not worth it. Trust me. He can refuse to let you in his class as well. College has tons of assignments, and I hate to put it this way but it's really your job to figure out what to do - it's not always in black and white.

I had a girl freak out on one of my Lit professors one time. Saying something like she couldnt believe we had an online test due before every class. She cried and everything

guess what happened ? she got kicked out of class.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:01:35 AM »
Pentagram.  Walk on eggshells with this.  Sounds like you were angry, frustrated and confrontational over this.  The instructor was right.  It should have been discussed privately with him as a first step.  It's always easier to escalate a situation than deflate it.  In other words, start with your most business-like, reasonable position and go from there.  This is college and you need to have a higher level of maturity in dealing with people.  These are the ones who you will be asking for a reference when you're looking for your first job or two.  And how you handle yourself will get spread around the students.  Students are a goldmine in job referrals.  A friends son got a job simply because 3 other recent graduates were hired by this firm.  His interview?  He was asked who had the best football team on a conference call.  Total interview, hired because his fellow students vouched for him.

Threats are always a bad move, especially when they're made publicly.  The Administration is going to be cautious in handling this matter after recent violent campus incidents.  And they are right in adopting this attitude.  They really don't know you.  They only know what you've written in the email. 

Thursday is not going to be easy.  You may have to eat crow.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

P7PSP

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 12:16:24 AM »
FA you are a fucking idiot. So publicly challenging your instructor is supposed to have a positive outcome for you, is that it? Starting a pissing contest with someone at a higher elevation requires a degree of self sabotaging stupidity that you seem to excel at. You will remain a moronic loser your entire life if you do not pull your head out of your ass at least long enough to get a glimpse of daylight every once in a while, but if you are more comfortable in the dark then by all means keep your head stuck in your ass.  :thumbdn:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 01:46:38 AM by PPK »

P7PSP

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »
Another thing FA, fucking up like that and then blaming your own failure on others is very immature. Not that I believe you really mind being an immature pissant.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 01:06:18 AM »
Yep, that was an incredibly stupid thing to do. Talk about fucking things up.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 01:15:53 AM »
Persuasion not Intimidation, remember that next time.

I found I was able to get extensions and be excused for failing to do something right, if I kindly persuaded them to give me a chance. I remember one time I misunderstood an assignment and wasted a lot working on something that wasn't exactly what was asked. The lecturer even told me I made a mistake, and I kindly explained that I misunderstood but still fulfil the criteria of what was asked and presented him with what I had. He accepted it and I still passed.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

eris

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 01:56:46 AM »
I didn't know until last night that there were assignments for this class due weekly. In class, I didn't hear anything about there being homework. And I don't see anywhere that tells us exactly how we are supposed to do it. I'm sorry, but I believe that you should do more to let us know of what our assignments are and how to do them, especially because they are for a grade.[/color]

I just wanted to mention that this isn't really the way it works in college.

Most of the time, the prof. talks about theories, not how to do the work or how to understand the material. The "work" is often something you just need to know how to do, or figure out how to do quickly. Often times refer to your syllabus for what material will be covered.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 02:01:27 AM »
Go hard Pentagram. Give him shit.  :autism:

Then Start practicing whale mating calls. The time is nigh.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 02:26:27 AM »
FA you are a fucking idiot. So publicly challenging your instructor is supposed to have a positive outcome for you, is that it? Starting a pissing contest with someone at a higher elevation requires a degree of self sabotaging stupidity that you seem to excel at. You will remain a moronic loser your entire life if you do not pull your head out of your ass at least long enough to get a glimpse of daylight every once in a while, but if you are more comfortable in the dark then by all means keep your head stuck in your ass.  :thumbdn:

QFT
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 03:57:13 AM »
At this stage,  if you want to get on,  your attitude should be more ''help me i'v fucked up''  rather than ''you're fucking this up for me''. 

I am not going to waste my time telling you how you should have handled it.  It's already done. 
 You should apologise for airing your grievances on a public forum.  That is the first thing.  Then explain any difficulties you may be having.  It may be an idea to find out
if any other students have missed assignments this way.  If they have, use them, it will demonstrate to your instructor that there could be a possible problem at his end
and you are not just making trouble.

Remember, you will already have gotten his back up -  so be polite, and be prepared to back down.  Unless of course you want to quit anyway which i am assuming you
dont.

I have no idea if your tutor is crap.  He could be.  POINT IS NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO CAUSE TROUBLE FOR THIS MAN.  Hopefully you will catch up on assignments, and
do well in college and get a decent job.  THEN IT MIGHT BE WORTH TELLING HIM HE IS A JERK...BUT NOT NOW
blah blah blah

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 11:07:54 AM »
Then Start practicing whale mating calls. The time is nigh.

:rofl:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

DukeNukem

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 01:07:15 PM »

QFT

Faggot! :wanker:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 01:17:38 PM »
What made you think doing that shit was a good idea? Are you trying to look tough?

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.  - John Wayne
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 01:40:54 PM »
I see both sides of the argument here:

A fair amount of lecturers feel like they're above people when in reality they're possibly the most laziest, useless cunts around. A lot of them DON'T do their job properlly and most likely forgot 90% of their education long ago. Students with a piece of paper to make them feel special, basically. The lecturers that do their job are however are fantastic.

However, it is up to the student to suss out things. No point arguing or moaning at them because you didn't realise you had to do this and that, tough shit. Your words will never carry any weight, if anything you'll just get kicked out. The only way to get over the cunts is to do your fucking work and someday take THEIR job. :orly:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 01:47:14 PM by Schleed »