Educational

Author Topic: accents  (Read 864 times)

Scrapheap

Re: accents
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 03:52:26 PM »
Did those of you outside of the US have to suffer through Billy Mays' commercials??

DukeNukem

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 04:21:47 PM »
Now that Billy Mays is dead, he can inflict his torture upon those unfortunate enough to permanently reside in the top tier of Dante's Inferno. :evillaugh:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 04:25:49 PM »
Just wondering about this,  here commercials and shows are ripe with people with English or Australian accents I believe thinking it sells more or is more authoritative.  is it the same there with American ones?  I would think not but I am curious

American English of the speaker voice type you commonly hear in movie trailers is quite common in Swedish commercials. For some reason they think it sells better.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 06:08:32 PM »
Who remembers Gunilla Knutsen (unsure of last name) accent and the "Take it off.  Take it all off" for Noxema.  She sold more than men's shaving cream.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 07:47:02 PM »
Now that Billy Mays is dead, he can inflict his torture upon those unfortunate enough to permanently reside in the top tier of Dante's Inferno. :evillaugh:

The virtuous pagans? Or did you mix up your circles of hell?
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

DukeNukem

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 08:40:03 PM »

The virtuous pagans? Or did you mix up your circles of hell?

I dunno. :P

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 03:22:40 AM »
Just wondering about this,  here commercials and shows are ripe with people with English or Australian accents I believe thinking it sells more or is more authoritative.  is it the same there with American ones?  I would think not but I am curious

American English of the speaker voice type you commonly hear in movie trailers is quite common in Swedish commercials. For some reason they think it sells better.

Here too.

And in ads for juices with great fruits from far away, we have an Australian explorer hunting for the right orange or berry. More than one brand doing that. Kind of Steve Irwin hunting for rare sources of vitamins.

Then we have the dubbed German ads, and the language oozes German. (detergents and Nutella)  Very funny. I hear it in Dutch, but process it in German, because that makes more sense.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

eris

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 09:23:50 PM »