Educational

Author Topic: The Joy of the Tribe.  (Read 474 times)

Offline Loupgarou

• Tormented Werewolf of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
The Joy of the Tribe.
« on: December 04, 2010, 04:36:45 PM »
Last night out new neighbours had a party. It was loud and filled with laughter. My neighbours are of Maori, Tongan or Samoan descent I am sure and I was witness to something truly special.

Cars were parked up and down the street, as people poured in next door. Young, old, male and female and as more people arrived, the sound became louder, but I was not perturbed by this like usual. I could feel something building int he air. An anticipation of celebration. Of what, I did not know.

Then the drums started. A steady sound that reverberated through the ground. They sounded like tribal drums and bongoes of some sort. The womens voices carries through the air and the sound of the men with intermittent cries of tribal significance cut in perfectly through the song. Different drums would come in and out and I listened to the variation of sounds and importance of them. It was someones birthday, a rite of passage. A young woman danced with a ring of flowers set on her head, and I was in rapture.

Such sweet pain it caused me, as I watched in hiding, whispering to my partner as he fixed a car, all the things that they were doing. Before I would get caught spying, I came in to fix dinner and sobbed and laughed, wobbling on my walking stick as my body moved to the rhythm of those drums and a mind of its own. It pulled and moved me and it took everything I had not to run sobbing to those people and beg to be included.

The misanthropist and cynic had a revelation. Technology of man has been and is important, but it is the centuries old traditions that glued us together. The wheel may have improved our mobility and growth as a species, among other things, but it is that moment in time when the tribe come together and form a union, a bond, that carries through the ages. It is the tribal dance and celebration that helped us survive a very challenging planet, and for a moment while listening to them, I was human and beautifully so.

Loup
"Long-winded speech is exhausting. Better to stay centered". - Lao Tzu

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: The Joy of the Tribe.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 06:02:01 PM »
I don't know what to say except I understand.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 07:49:51 PM »
Thanks Pyraxis :thumbup: I like to write little stories of what I see that astound me and confound me :green:. It is just a nice story and stirs the child in me.

Loup

Scrapheap

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 07:51:48 PM »
Meh, chimpanzees do the same thing. It's group rythmic movement.   :yawn:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 07:56:29 PM »
I live in a very musical city, New Orleans.  We have the occasional jazz funeral, dozens of black marching musical clubs, soul, blues, etc.  I totally understand the lure and gut calling of ethnic/tribal rhythms.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 11:49:38 PM »
I live in a very musical city, New Orleans.  We have the occasional jazz funeral, dozens of black marching musical clubs, soul, blues, etc.  I totally understand the lure and gut calling of ethnic/tribal rhythms.

Your Majesty!!! For some reason I thought you lived in the UK. Might have something to do with your namesake ;) but New Orleans would be wonderful. That is one of the places I want to visit before I die. My dad has been there and he LOVED it. How exciting that I know that! I will be picking your brain :zoinks:

Loup

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 01:31:39 AM »

I used to live in Baton Rouge and I visited New Orleans sometimes to see the sights and for Mardi Gras parades.

Where did you go when you had to evacuate for Katrina?  Was your house OK?

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 12:09:59 PM »
We went to Beaumont Texas (about a normal 4 hour drive, 6 to 7 in an evacuation) for 3 weeks.  I felt distinctly uncomfortable staying there because it's relatively low and had Katrina hit there, flooding would have extended for miles inland.  As it was, there was destructive flooding there during Hurricane Rita.

We then went to Navasota Texas (where LaSalle the French explorer was murdered) for the next 3 weeks.  It's about an hour north and slightly west of Houston.  My sister lives there, but she's a hoarder and we stayed in a motel.

We live in a suburb of New Orleans called Metairie, about 8 blocks from the Saints Training Camp and The New Orleans Zephyr Baseball team field. 

When we got back, we were truly blessed.  We lost 2 dwarf peach trees in our front yard, a few boards on our wooden fence and one piece of soffit.  The items on the carport weren't even disturbed.  We found out that we live on the feeder line for the electricity to the waste water treatment plant, so we're one of the first ones to have electricity restored.  Our ice cubes didn't even completely melt, just a little stuck together.  I have friends who are still fighting to have funds to restore their homes. 

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 12:16:54 PM »

Your Majesty!!! For some reason I thought you lived in the UK. Might have something to do with your namesake ;) but New Orleans would be wonderful. That is one of the places I want to visit before I die. My dad has been there and he LOVED it. How exciting that I know that! I will be picking your brain :zoinks:

Loup

I am an enigma.  I have always been fascinated my royalty and royal history.  My daughter is named after Eleanor of Aquitaine; the Eleanor part, not the Aquitaine part.  I would love to live in England and particularly love London and York which I've visited. 

I registered as Weakling, but made some joke about Victorian times and the Queen.  It developed into a bit of a running joke and after using the portrait of Queen Victoria as my avatar and discussing it with some members I changed my I2 name to Queen Victoria, who is my second favorite English Queen.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 02:55:35 PM »
Who is your first favorite Queen, Eleanor of Aquitaine?

I know Metairie.  That's cool that your house wasn't very hurt at all and that it didn't flood.  I know how much worse it could have been.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 03:41:18 PM »

I know Metairie.  That's cool that your house wasn't very hurt at all and that it didn't flood.  I know how much worse it could have been.

Yes, the only woman to be Queen of both France and England,  a power equal to both her husbands, a crusader, and mother to 3 kings.

richard

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »
thats cool you love your neighbours because I fucking hate mine!!

Scrapheap

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 04:22:51 PM »

Yes, the only woman to be Queen of both France and England,  a power equal to both her husbands, a crusader, and mother to 3 kings.

Did you ever see the movie "The Lion in Winter" with Patrick Stewart and Glenn Close??

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 04:29:15 PM »

Did you ever see the movie "The Lion in Winter" with Patrick Stewart and Glenn Close??

I saw the older one with Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn.

Scrapheap

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 04:30:36 PM »

I saw the older one with Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn.

Can't go wrong with either version, they're ALL good actors.  :thumbup: