Author Topic: uk food thread  (Read 2134 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: uk food thread
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2011, 05:39:32 PM »
It lurks under many names

don't know if it has a connection with Ireland but my
old neighbour (Dubliner) always called it
GYPSY TOAST

i bet those pesky french stole it, lol.

I have never put cinnoman in.  Yes milk.  Its great for feeding us working class folks - especially if
you have many mouths to feed -  the more mouths the more milk you put in!

And with lots of milk, and hardly any eggs at home, adding a bit of custard-powder, or other starch, can work miracles.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2011, 08:28:42 AM »
This was in the Telegraph this morning.  If you're interested in any I imagine most of the recipes are somewhere on the Web.

The following cakes are all solid British fare - but which one is your favourite?

Welsh Cake - Cooked on a bakestone, these traditional Welsh snacks are made from flour, sultanas, raisins and currants with a touch of spice such as cinnamon and nutmeg.

French Fancy (also Fondant Fancy) - A British variety of iced sponge cake topped with a hemisphere of buttercream and fondant icing. Originally produced in the UK by the Mr Kipling company and often found on the table at a children’s party.

Fat Rascal - A rough domed-shaped type of cake, similar to a scone, made with currants and candied peel and traditional in Yorkshire, especially in the famous Betty's tearooms.

Victoria Songe - Named after Queen Victoria who favoured a slice of sponge cake with her afternoon tea. A traditional Victoria sponge is filled with softly whipped cream and jam and dredged with caster sugar.

Lemon Drizzle - A classic sponge cake made in many parts of England for Easter Sunday.

Bakewell Tart - My Kipling put icing and a cherry on top of the shortcrust pastry treat, but the Bakewell pudding (a puff pastry and almond paste delicacy) is thought to been made as a mistake by the cook of Derbyshire landlady Mrs Greaves who misunderstood her instructions.

Battenburg - The distinctive check-patterned marzipan-covered cake is alternately coloured pink and yellow. The cake was created in honour of the marriage in 1884 of Queen Victoria's granddaughter to Prince Louis of Battenberg, with the four squares representing the four Battenberg princes: Louis, Alexander, Henry and Francis Joseph.

Eccles Cake - A small, round cake filled with currants and made from flaky pastry with butter and can sometimes be topped with demerara sugar named after the English town of Eccles in Manchester.

Jaffa Cake - It is highly debated whether the orange-flavoured snack is a cake or a biscuit, but in a court case Scottish company McVities argued that the distinction between cakes and biscuits is, among other things, that biscuits would normally be expected to go soft when stale, whereas cakes would normally be expected to go hard. It was proved that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale.

Chelsea Bun - First created in the 18th century at the Bun House in London’s Chelsea district. The bun is made of a rich dough flavoured with lemon and cinnamon and rolled into a square spiral shape.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Ilike French Fancys a lot. Very sweet, so I could only eat one or two at a time. Lovely though.

Jaffa Cakes are great as well. I see them as biscuits though. They come in a packet like many biscuits. They are not like cakes.

If you dont get them in America, then its a shame. I think they would do well.

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2011, 04:50:46 PM »
Ilike French Fancys a lot. Very sweet, so I could only eat one or two at a time. Lovely though.

Jaffa Cakes are great as well. I see them as biscuits though. They come in a packet like many biscuits. They are not like cakes.

If you dont get them in America, then its a shame. I think they would do well.
send some, please :thumbup:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2011, 01:07:13 AM »
We get Jaffa Cakes here as well, imported. I see them as biscuits too, they are pretty small.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2011, 05:53:18 AM »
Lemon Drizzle Cake is yummy
blah blah blah