Educational

Author Topic: My Musical Tastes  (Read 1407 times)

DukeNukem

My Musical Tastes
« on: September 21, 2010, 03:54:39 PM »
No one in the autism community shares my musical taste. Seems like most aspies in general mirror the vapid and insipid musical tastes of NT's, which is rather sad. I chose not to follow the herd, instead, I have browsed the Internet for hours to find the kind of music that really toots my whistle. Turns out, I'm a big Doom Metal fan. Doom Metal, if you do not know what it is, listen to the first four Black Sabbath albums and you should have an idea of what Doom Metal is in a nutshell. Of course, Doom Metal itself is a diverse genre and the music can have influences from several types of metal/rock like punk, death, black, thrash, hardcore, sludge, etc. and even other genres of music. It ranges from music that could easily fit into a Black Sabbath/Led Zepplin/Judas Priest type of playlist to the lowest ends of the extreme metal spectrum. There are several sub-genres of Doom Metal to kind of organize which bands do basically which, like Traditional Doom Metal, Epic Doom, Stoner/Doom, Death/Doom, Funeral Doom, Drone Doom, etc. etc. The reason why I think that Doom Metal is so great is because unlike most other musical genres, it is not tainted with commercialization, trends, melodramatic emotions, or any of that bullshit. It is music truly from the hearts of the composers. Doom Metal records tend to sell very poorly if at all because the nature of the music, along with a lot of misconceptions, does not lend doom to any level of popularity.

But anyways, here are six songs which should give you a good idea of what to expect from the greatest of Doom Metal artists. Most of these should be easy to get into and are from the 80's, except for Sleep, which are 90's. After listening to these, go and learn about these great bands!

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
Re: My Musical Tastes
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 04:00:08 PM »
The Biggest sheep are the ones who restrict their tastes to one type of music , build personalities around that music type and then criticise everyone else as "following the herd".

wait should probably avoid mentioning sheep around you  :orly:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 04:05:51 PM »
A wide variety depending on the mood.  I was never big into metal though more like the Grateful Dead is my speed
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

DukeNukem

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 04:33:30 PM »
The Biggest sheep are the ones who restrict their tastes to one type of music , build personalities around that music type and then criticise everyone else as "following the herd".

You are missing the point here. The sheep you are referring to are actually "wolves". Actual sheep are the ones following the herd. My musical tastes isn't merely crafted from fallacies and misconceptions. It's crafted from what I consider music as an art. I'm sorry, but that HOT pop song blazing the charts now, but will be forgotten in a few months, is not what I consider "music as art".

What I really hate is people who thinks that unpopular music (or underground music) isn't popular because it sucks. That's a real fallacy right there! However, the opposite is unfortunately true. There is not much redeeming value out of most popular music or music written to be popular.

If you want to listen to the Grateful Dead and enjoy it, fine. If you want to claim that *place overrated and overplayed band here* are the greatest band ever and that everyone should listen to it, then screw you, asshole! Noneoftheless, I should really look into some Grateful Dead sometimes. Might be up my alley, because I really do enjoy listening to obscure rock/metal bands.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 04:40:43 PM »
Art, whether it be literature, music, fashion, sculpture, painting, etc. is very subjective and personal.  There has to be something in it that appeals to the soul of the person.  I will probably never appreciate rap or Mexican music because I'm an old white woman.  I wouldn't expect an American Indian to be thrilled by Chopin.  There isn't a genre of painting that I really like. 

Because of art's very nature I try to be accepting of what turns other folk's fancy.  So, I'm glad for everyone who can enjoy the art of music for what it brings to them.   

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 04:46:39 PM »
You are missing the point here. The sheep you are referring to are actually "wolves". Actual sheep are the ones following the herd. My musical tastes isn't merely crafted from fallacies and misconceptions. It's crafted from what I consider music as an art. I'm sorry, but that HOT pop song blazing the charts now, but will be forgotten in a few months, is not what I consider "music as art".

no im not a sheep is someone who refuses to think for themselves Goths , Metalheads and Emo's are sheep just like chavs because they stick to one music taste and stay in one herd , listening to hairy men screaming does not make you "different"

What I really hate is people who thinks that unpopular music (or underground music) isn't popular because it sucks. That's a real fallacy right there! However, the opposite is unfortunately true. There is not much redeeming value out of most popular music or music written to be popular.

Btw Im a fan of Marilyn Manson and Lady Gaga , I find it pathetic when just because something isnt what you like you can lable it as crap.

If you want to listen to the Grateful Dead and enjoy it, fine. If you want to claim that *place overrated and overplayed band here* are the greatest band ever and that everyone should listen to it, then screw you, asshole! Noneoftheless, I should really look into some Grateful Dead sometimes. Might be up my alley, because I really do enjoy listening to obscure rock/metal bands.

Err no I dont have to push down other peoples music taste for personal satisfaction , and no thanks I'll stick with what I like and you stick with what you liike.
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

Osensitive1

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »
Have to be in the mood for music, and when in the mood most any music will do.

DukeNukem

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 05:10:35 PM »

no im not a sheep is someone who refuses to think for themselves Goths , Metalheads and Emo's are sheep just like chavs because they stick to one music taste and stay in one herd , listening to hairy men screaming does not make you "different"

Btw Im a fan of Marilyn Manson and Lady Gaga , I find it pathetic when just because something isnt what you like you can lable it as crap.

Err no I dont have to push down other peoples music taste for personal satisfaction , and no thanks I'll stick with what I like and you stick with what you liike.

Don't just "stick" to what you like, give other music a chance. I can think for myself. That's what most of heavy metal is about actually. Thinking for yourself.

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 05:16:07 PM »
Don't just "stick" to what you like, give other music a chance. I can think for myself. That's what most of heavy metal is about actually. Thinking for yourself.

Dont pass off "popular" music just because a lot of people like it.

I have a friend who listens to Marilyn Manson , Korn , Rammstein , Rob Zombie etc etc
yet she also gives "popular" music a try - doesnt write it off as crap before shes listened just because its popular.

And I dont stick to the music I like im always listening to different styles of music and branching out , if you want me to run through my playlist to prove this then I will.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 05:17:53 PM »

Everyone is a sheep. Don't make me do a huge paragraph on it. :orly:

As for my tastes, I mainly listen to Electronic music. Anything from Ambient (Berlin School etc.) to Techno. I also like a bit of punk/post punk, krautrock, some prog and general expermental fuckwittery.

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 05:21:48 PM »
Everyone is a sheep. Don't make me do a huge paragraph on it. :orly:

:lol:

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »
Felcher: DO NOT mention Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath in the same sentence. While both are heavy rock, Zeppelin are blues orientated while Sabbath were straight out rock. Zeppelin developed into stadium rock over time, but still kept the blues formula..... why am I bothering here? It's only Judy afterall....

DukeNukem

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 05:29:29 PM »
Felcher: DO NOT mention Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath in the same sentence. While both are heavy rock, Zeppelin are blues orientated while Sabbath were straight out rock. Zeppelin developed into stadium rock over time, but still kept the blues formula..... why am I bothering here? It's only Judy afterall....

Why should I NOT mention Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath in the same sentence. Even though they are quite different bands, they both have hugely influenced heavy metal. And Black Sabbath's first albums were actually quite bluesy themselves.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 05:42:19 PM »

Why should I NOT mention Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath in the same sentence. Even though they are quite different bands, they both have hugely influenced heavy metal. And Black Sabbath's first albums were actually quite bluesy themselves.

Are you talking from 1970-72 or the Dio stuff? And no, they are not really 'bluesy' as such. Track like Dazed & Confused by Zeppelin owe more to blues than, say, War Pigs or Paranoid.

Oh, and I have 1000+ LP's, shitloads of 45s and CDs, how much variety do you want?

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 05:47:07 PM »
Just looked up "War Pigs" and "Paranoid" by Ozzy

I love Ozzy Osbourne as I person but Idk his music just isnt my thing.