Author Topic: Paleo diet plan  (Read 749 times)

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Paleo diet plan
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 07:01:07 PM »
It is interesting that many Neanderthal remains are found with rodeo type injuries. It is supposed that their method of hunting involved actual jumping on their prey to bring it down.

Since I consider them to be my ancestors , all I can say is "ride em ,cowboy."
What are rodeo type injuries?
example would be bull riding injuries
Yes, but what are bull riding injuries? Like being gored?
A study of nearly 2,000 professional rodeo events between 1981 and 2005 found that half of all injuries occurred during bull riding. Knee and shoulder injuries are most common, according to Downey, but "most alarming" are the head injuries. Concussions account for nearly 9 percent of all bull riding injuries, he notes.

Other typical rodeo injuries include finger amputations during calf roping, sprains to the knee, shoulder or ankle, and chronic problems that develop from such injuries. Riders are also at risk of being gored or stomped after dismounting or being thrown from an animal.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKIM56572320071005

Because of the power and speed of the average bareback horse, bareback riders suffer a tremendous amount of strain on their riding arm.

Hyper-extended elbows, torn biceps, and separated shoulders are common bareback rider injuries due to the strain put on the arm.

Because of the extreme riding position of bareback riders, neck injuries are also quite common.
Bareback riders can also suffer injuries to their lower back, spinal cord, and tailbone area due to the jarring effect of a bucking bareback horse.

http://rodeo.about.com/od/barebackfaq/f/barebackinjury.htm

Osensitive1

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 07:12:59 PM »
Ew, finger amputations.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 07:17:21 PM »
Happened more than you think in construction I have even been on jobs where it has happened
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

P7PSP

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 07:53:31 PM »
Happened more than you think in construction I have even been on jobs where it has happened
So have I.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 12:37:43 AM »
I think I will go out and spear a deer tonight and eat it raw :zoinks:

It's better to cook it.  Humans have been eating cooked meat for a very long time; long enough to have biologically adapted to it, and raw meat can harbour all kinds of nasty parasites.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 01:15:48 AM »

It's better to cook it.  Humans have been eating cooked meat for a very long time; long enough to have biologically adapted to it, and raw meat can harbour all kinds of nasty parasites.

I understand the concept of trying to eat as closely as possible to what our bodies were built to process, however, if you say that we have biologically adapted to cooked meat, then it would figure that there are many other things we would have adapted to also.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2010, 01:55:20 AM »

I understand the concept of trying to eat as closely as possible to what our bodies were built to process, however, if you say that we have biologically adapted to cooked meat, then it would figure that there are many other things we would have adapted to also.

Cooked food became a major part of the human diet about 250,000 years ago, and we've adapted to a soft, cooked, pre-processed diet to the point that our jaws have shrunk and some of us no longer grow wisdom teeth, but grain, dairy, legumes and oil seeds only began to appear in the human diet in significant quantities with the advent of agriculture, about 10,000 years ago.  Genetic adaptations to these new foods haven't yet been fully distributed through human populations, and the adaptations are concentrated in the populations with the longest histories of exposure to these foods and for whom the ability to tolerate the foods had a high selective advantage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance#History_of_genetic_prevalence
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2010, 02:46:51 AM »

Cooked food became a major part of the human diet about 250,000 years ago, and we've adapted to a soft, cooked, pre-processed diet to the point that our jaws have shrunk and some of us no longer grow wisdom teeth, but grain, dairy, legumes and oil seeds only began to appear in the human diet in significant quantities with the advent of agriculture, about 10,000 years ago.  Genetic adaptations to these new foods haven't yet been fully distributed through human populations, and the adaptations are concentrated in the populations with the longest histories of exposure to these foods and for whom the ability to tolerate the foods had a high selective advantage.

It's interesting that people who are lactose intolerant use soy products, but how long have they been around for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soybean

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2010, 04:19:37 AM »

It's interesting that people who are lactose intolerant use soy products, but how long have they been around for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soybean

Soy has been cultivated in eastern Asia for the past 5,000-10,000 years, and although new foods don't necessarily pose problems, soy is rather problematic.  Like many beans, it's quite toxic and indigestible, and it requires extensive processing to become edible.  Traditionally, this was achieved by soaking the beans, cooking them for long periods and fermenting them, but modern products like soy milk and meat substitutes are made from soy products that have been refined and chemically modified using modern industrial methods.  Despite this processing, there are still concerns over the safety of soy products, mostly due to high levels of phytoestrogens in the raw beans and processed products.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soybean#Health_risks

Offline Ergo Proxy

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2010, 07:43:41 AM »
I should also mention that more than 90% of soybean products (at least here in the US) are GMO's, and mostly so that Monsanto can sell stronger and stronger herbicides.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 07:45:54 AM »
OT mini-bitch: vegan (soy-based afaik) bacon is awful, I wouldn't feed it to a dog!  :sick:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Ergo Proxy

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 07:55:11 AM »
So are soy hot dogs...

The only soy-based meat-substitutes I like are the Boca Burgers. Otherwise I just stick with Tofu. I don't eat a lot of it in general because the brands I buy are expensive as hell (I take special care to make sure they are non-GMO, certified organic, fair trade, etc.).

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2010, 08:23:15 AM »
I wouldn't eat any other hotdog but a soy hotdog. If I was in a hotdog mood, which is most likely once a year.

I'd also choose a soy sausage over a normal one. But they are a treat rather than a regular addition. The ones we have here are nice;

http://www.sanitarium.com.au/products/vegetarian/vegie-delights-chilled/vegie-sausages

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2010, 12:43:27 PM »
 :GA:OH NOES IT"S GMO WE "RE ALL GOING TO DIE :GA:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

P7PSP

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2010, 10:04:05 PM »
OT mini-bitch: vegan (soy-based afaik) bacon is awful, I wouldn't feed it to a dog!  :sick:
:rofl: That is funny. Vegans aren't even bitches - they are mini bitches.  :indeed: