Educational

Author Topic: Website advice?  (Read 172 times)

Offline Ergo Proxy

• Part of the Chaos
Website advice?
« on: July 29, 2010, 03:49:08 AM »
I've been wanting to create my own website. I've created my own blog not too long ago, but I've quickly realized that for what I want to do a blog is woefully inadequate. Since some of you have actually made and run websites before, I want some advice as to how to generate traffic, how to make it presentable, domain names, etc.

The type of website I want to make is more or less a personal website, but I'm going to have a wide variety of content, ranging from science fiction to some issues related to Aspies. It will probably be at least a month before I can actually put it on the web. I'm still contemplating whether or not I should put a forum.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: Website advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 06:27:09 AM »
Hmm - it might be worth thinking about who your audience are, and why they would want to use your website (and come back to it regularly?) Probably best not to have a forum, unless you think it would be attractive to people in its own right, rather than just an add on. A comment sheet (guestbook) or a personal email might be better...

The best way to attract people is basically going to be word of mouth, so through forums and other digital media like this one.

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 01:28:05 PM »
I actually co-own a ASD forum and so far it has been pretty good it seemed to have succeeded so far.
The main key is to advertise, try doing facebook, it might be the key to your success?
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Offline Ergo Proxy

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:57:01 PM »
The best way to attract people is basically going to be word of mouth, so through forums and other digital media like this one.

That shouldn't be too hard then, I've been active on quite a few forums at one time or another for the past 5 years. I also have a facebook account so I should get a bigger audience.

I guess I can keep you all updated on the progress of the website itself. So far I'm working mainly on the science fiction component, in some ways it will be similar to Nyrath's Atomic Rockets page except with a lot more detail on it....