Educational

Author Topic: Lawn people  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Lawn people
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 07:12:31 AM »
Well if you ever get a call from "weed control," you know what to say... >:D

:laugh:

If you get a ticket, you have ten days to get the weeds under control, else they get someone to do it for you and they bill you for it, plus their "administrative fee" but the ticket says they can actually send you to jail for it.

I hired someone yesterday to mow our lawn because the weeds are getting tall and I don't want a ticket.

We also have snow police here, who ticketed us once for not shoveling our sidewalk within 24 hours of a snowfall.  We had gone away for vacation,  there was a big snowstorm, and we arrived home to see a very tall pile of snow on our sidewalk that the snowplow had put there.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 07:31:05 AM »
We have dandelion police here, so you can get a ticket if you let dandelions or other weeds on your property grow over a foot tall.

Is it the city or do you live in one of those managed communities ?  I understand the snow we have 48 hours on that one and the city will only step in on the lawn when it's really bad. If I put weed killer on my lawn the whole thing would die :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 07:36:44 AM »
We have dandelion police here, so you can get a ticket if you let dandelions or other weeds on your property grow over a foot tall.

Is it the city or do you live in one of those managed communities ?  I understand the snow we have 48 hours on that one and the city will only step in on the lawn when it's really bad. If I put weed killer on my lawn the whole thing would die :laugh:

We have the 'bin police'  here.

Basically, if you leave your bin out more than 48 hours since the garbage collector came, you get a fine.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 07:38:13 AM »
Note:

The above things might seem like an attack on your personal freedom, but it also falls into the freedom of the community not to want to live amongst people who DON'T maintain the appearance of themselves and their property.  :police:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 07:44:49 AM »
Note:

The above things might seem like an attack on your personal freedom, but it also falls into the freedom of the community not to want to live amongst people who DON'T maintain the appearance of themselves and their property.  :police:

True, but that is not the case where I live. Some feral stole my bin at 2am when they were walking home. My ex deadbeat neighbour thought it would be cool to dump shit in my bin on bin night after not even speaking to me since we moved in. But I caught him red handed and gave him a good shaming over.

It's not that I live in a lowbrow area, just some people are fuck ups, that's all.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 07:49:41 AM »
Note:

True, but that is not the case where I live. Some feral stole my bin at 2am when they were walking home. My ex deadbeat neighbour thought it would be cool to dump shit in my bin on bin night after not even speaking to me since we moved in. But I caught him red handed and gave him a good shaming over.

It's not that I live in a lowbrow area, just some people are fuck ups, that's all.

I know all about that kind of stuff. Some people are just ASSHOLES more like.  :zoinks:
I will never stop...

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 10:29:58 AM »
No weed police here. :(

The grass at the vacant house next door is a little over 2 ft in places now.

Probably had I known that no one intended on cutting it like they said they would ::), I would have done it myself.
Now it's so high I'm afraid of hitting all the shit that was left laying around in the yard and fucking up the mower. And not unlike Phlexor's mower ;), my recent trimmer is a pussy.

Not that the appearance really bothers me, it just screams "I'm vacant...burn me" to all the budding arsonist wanna-be's.

Vacant houses don't live long around here, and unfortunately this one is a little too close for comfort. :P
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:32:23 AM by Icequeen »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 10:32:20 AM »
I hate lawn people by that I mean those people who spend hours and hours on their grass.  Watering, cutting, weed wacking, raking blowing off the cut bits, covering it with chemicals have several in my neighborhood I have several on my street.  It's fine to have a nice lawn but they take it to a new level and the noise and smell of the crap they put on it drives me crazy

QFT
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 10:33:37 AM »

It's the city and IMO they're bad enough that I refuse to live in a managed community.  My husband's friend lives in one that dictates that all houses be painted "earth tones" and he had to get permission from the Nazi Homeowner's Association to paint his house and they had to have a committee meeting to approve the shade of beige he intended to paint it with.  Fortunately, he knew someone else who had gone through this and they advised him to use a number like "2654" for the paint color as opposed to a name like "fencepost white" so they approved his numbered shade of beige while they denied the other guy's who used a name for his.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 11:29:03 AM »
I stand by my "shitty beating" idea. :lol:
I will never stop...

TheoK

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 11:31:23 AM »

It's the city and IMO they're bad enough that I refuse to live in a managed community.  My husband's friend lives in one that dictates that all houses be painted "earth tones" and he had to get permission from the Nazi Homeowner's Association to paint his house and they had to have a committee meeting to approve the shade of beige he intended to paint it with.  Fortunately, he knew someone else who had gone through this and they advised him to use a number like "2654" for the paint color as opposed to a name like "fencepost white" so they approved his numbered shade of beige while they denied the other guy's who used a name for his.

Uhm, America, the land of the free and the home of the brave, and petty dictators decide what your garden should look like? Phew!  :thumbdn:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 11:43:18 AM »

Uhm, America, the land of the free and the home of the brave, and petty dictators decide what your garden should look like? Phew!  :thumbdn:

Home owner associations are a problem here many people don't even think about till they come for you.  My city has a nuisance ordinance against some things enforced by the Director of Health that passed just last year due to the state of some foreclosed properties so far they have been selective about using it.  I could probably be fined by them but have yet to piss the inspector off which is what gets you in trouble as one of the things forbidden is machinery and the experiments I like to do out back.  We can have fires up to a meter in diameter of only wood also
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 12:21:31 PM »

Homeowner associations act like petty dictators here and they don't have to answer to anyone other than the courts, it seems.

I heard of a woman in Ladue, which is a wealthy suburb of Saint Louis, who got in trouble with her HOA for displaying a small sign protesting the Gulf War in her front yard.  The case wound up going to the Supreme Court, who said that the Ladue HOA's rule against signs was breaking the law.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 04:28:29 PM »

What happens if you say you grow them for dandelion wine production?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 05:14:28 PM »

What happens if you say you grow them for dandelion wine production?

I've been meaning to try that.