Author Topic: Drum & Bass Talk with Techstepgenr8tion  (Read 1568 times)

Offline techstepgenr8tion

• Frequent Poster
Re: Drum & Bass Talk with Techstepgenr8tion
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 05:45:23 PM »
I associate this type of music with car thieves and drug dealers, to be honest .

And I associate this kind of attitude to stereotyping; your taste in music doesn't define who you are as a person.

Umm, little more lenient than what I had in mind. Pretty much every style of music has its inherent intelligence and every genre that catches on in one way or another has both intelligent people listening to it and people who are huffing paint and stealing credit cards. Don't know why its worth even running past someone that they're out there, its a complete no-brainer. My style of music actually does define me but it defines me by they way I feel it and what I get out of it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 05:49:28 PM by techstepgenr8tion »
Born into this world for one inherent purpose: to drop science and drop it heavy.

duncvis

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 05:51:05 PM »
Oops, I think my mind was going in some weird directions. Should have been MP3.com

http://www.mp3.com/5pryme

cheers mate - off to download some. feedback later! O0

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 07:07:04 AM »
Thank You.  I am trying my best to become more bigoted and stereotyped.  I hoping that if I carry on like this, one day they make me a columnist for The Times.

The_P

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 10:05:52 AM »
Thank You.  I am trying my best to become more bigoted and stereotyped.  I hoping that if I carry on like this, one day they make me a columnist for The Times.

Weirdo.

duncvis

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 02:56:52 PM »
Oops, I think my mind was going in some weird directions. Should have been MP3.com

Pretty listenable, I don't listen to a lot of drum and bass but a couple of these were quite sparse, but some good textures going on. I liked Compressed Reality, Trancendentalist Funk hit the right buttons for me as well. White Rabbit was promising but I reckon you could crank up the darkness a bit, it disappointed me a little to be honest cos it had potential to be more intense. Good shit overall though... reminds me I'll have to get on with producing a few of my own tracks. :thumbup:  8)

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2007, 04:11:33 PM »
I feel bad about about what I said.   I like the music, but that is what I associate it with.  I was being honest, but I need to learn sometiems the truth is best left unsaid.

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2007, 04:59:44 PM »

Pretty listenable, I don't listen to a lot of drum and bass but a couple of these were quite sparse, but some good textures going on. I liked Compressed Reality, Trancendentalist Funk hit the right buttons for me as well. White Rabbit was promising but I reckon you could crank up the darkness a bit, it disappointed me a little to be honest cos it had potential to be more intense. Good shit overall though... reminds me I'll have to get on with producing a few of my own tracks. :thumbup:  8)

Agreed, White Rabbit does have some room for improvement but it would probably take a minute to figure out what I'd do or how I'd do it as not to cheese it out. My other problem too right now is with sickbass - very difficult for me to come up with any really illed-out roaring lines and its because its very hard work to make lines, love em and wish I could add more but it'll take more practice. I think my biggest weakness though in what I personally do though is my urge to once I have the ideas written to just progressively start everything every 32 bars without tricks, stunts, and the constant change-ups that a lot of the majors throw in. I'm hoping though with this new job that I can not only get better EQing monitors (so the EQing will help the moods rather than damage them) but so I can also possibly get more ProTools programs, maybe some things I can do some good time-stretching in, and so I could actually put Absynth 4 to work for me - that's a beast I've been sitting on for a while and sad to say it but I've maybe sat down and really played with it like 4 times since I bought it just because of routing issues and the fact that I can't easily use it with anything else yet.
Born into this world for one inherent purpose: to drop science and drop it heavy.

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 05:11:43 PM »
Oh yeah, and something else about White Rabbit (I know its a little late just that I'm listening to it right now and it reminded me) - I think its dark enough because I wasn't going for the ultimate darkness or anything with it, I think its serving me pretty well as it is in terms of what's emotionally driving it from my end. I think the one thing I could probably improve is that main melodic synth that comes in later in the track - I'd really want it to sound more glassy and like a huge ring rotating on edge, I'm all about the visual incorporations and that's what I love so much about drum & bass, not just the visual aspect but the kinetics, kinesthetics, and textures (on top of give-you-darklight-chills melodies). Like I mentioned, White Rabbit is about tripping but its the profoundly spiritual edge mixed with the paranoid. It's that feeling when your way up, that mystical sense, that feeling of connection with something far greater than yourself, that connection you feel with your buds like your all in on something far greater than regular people can fathom (yeah your f'd up and you know its not particularly true but that sort of emotion in and of itself is something priceless and just thinking about it sometimes brings tears to my eyes).

So yeah, its just moderately dark, the heavy base-kick is kinda the only real fear and paranoia, that and I really wanted to get a dynamic going with the snare like to make it sound like the snare's swinging down hard like a sledge-hammer driving railroad spikes (if you want a real good example of the drum beat I was modeling a bit listen to Ed Rush & Optical - Alien Girl, I wanted something like that but even more pneumatic). The rest it just euphoria, timelessness, the ancient and mystical meets the now, pround emotional revelations about your life and existence in general, etc. etc.. The melody is designed in and of itself to feel like your diving off, its that falling pattern.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 05:13:28 PM by techstepgenr8tion »

duncvis

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 05:43:49 PM »
I never looked at it that way; I'll have to have another listen later. I guess I've been playing too much dark electro lately.  :laugh:

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 05:49:19 PM »
I never looked at it that way; I'll have to have another listen later. I guess I've been playing too much dark electro lately.  :laugh:

Hehe, do share.

duncvis

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 06:22:18 PM »
Well, I'm coming from the industrial side, so lately I've been listening to a lot of Suicide Commando, Hocico, Destroid, :Wumpscut:, etc - aggressive distorted drum patterns, claustrophobic loops, horror samples, rasping vocal passages. Also I listen to goa or hard trance like Infected Mushroom and Juno Reactor which is why D n B can take a bit of getting into for me, though dark jungle sometimes hits my pleasure buttons - I remember you posted summat on WP way back which did the job but I'm fucked if I can remember what it was.  8)

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 07:08:08 PM »
Well, I'm coming from the industrial side, so lately I've been listening to a lot of Suicide Commando, Hocico, Destroid, :Wumpscut:, etc - aggressive distorted drum patterns, claustrophobic loops, horror samples, rasping vocal passages. Also I listen to goa or hard trance like Infected Mushroom and Juno Reactor which is why D n B can take a bit of getting into for me, though dark jungle sometimes hits my pleasure buttons - I remember you posted summat on WP way back which did the job but I'm fucked if I can remember what it was.  8)

My friend Cathy actually burned me a whole bunch of stuff on a few cds - Combichrist, Wumpscut, Grendel, Psyclon Nine, and there was unfortunately just one Hocico track - I actually liked it a lot. My thought though, a lot of the 2nd wav industrial borders on half the EBM she was throwing at me, I could barely tell the difference, and when I listen to that kind of stuff I run into a dilemma - my mind hears trancs with trying-to-be-Skinny-Puppy vocals over it so I first listen to it like "is this even good trance?" which (unless its Combichrist or Hocico) the answer ends up being no. I do like industrial but again its mostly 1987-91 Skinny Puppy, Ministry from that period, and I get into some of Trent's stuff but I tend to like his remix albums better.

As far as hard psy-trance though I know what your saying for sure though, I think the first time it really grabbed at me I was at a 3 day party up in Canada and in a side-tent a dj had on Short Circuit by Hux Flux (though when I was there I think it was some kind of remix - way grimier, very similar sound structure but made to be even more schizophrenic and electro-mechanical, and there was probably the most evil, dropped down vocal sample over it something like "Omega Circuit" or whatever, I mean they used to do the downpitched Barry White stuff over trance and I loved it but this was like demonic, barely coherent, and it sounded like it was spitting sparks everywhere). After that I went on a rampage trying to find that very track, came across a lot of older Hux Flux stuff, Spirillianz, Haldolium, Absolum, some of Synchro's stuff, checked out some of that Israeli hardhitter stuff like MFG, and as far as the Hux Flux sound I'd LOVE to find something real mechanical and intense like that but far more realistic and less synthy (I LOVE grime and mirk, the more the better). Another person who really impressed me but from a different angle - Lori the Hi-Fi Princess, she doesn't do mixtapes but I SO wish she did, she spins psy-trance the way Red Commie Bastard does tech-trance.

duncvis

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007, 07:18:54 PM »
Will have to look out for some of her stuff. As for Combichrist - very good shit. the lyrics are laughable but the beats, fuck me! Destroid -= Future Prophecies is well worth getting hold of as well. Hocico seems to be about the best of the 'terror EBM' squad. Have you heard any Feindflug? Very dense, but some seriously catchy loops. I love Front Line Assembly as well, though its not really the same territory.  8)

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007, 07:35:11 PM »
Yeah, I'll haven't heard of Feindflug, she was all about introducing me to Funker Vogt though and I kinda thought the same thing of them, eh....ok but nothing I'd go out of my way for. I'll definitely have to take a look around and see what I can find, the 2 Combichrist tracks I liked were "This S--- ..." and "Get Your Body Beat", probably just because it reminds me more of good acid techno or acid tech-trance than straight on commercy trance anthems (though I do like those IF they're done right, ala Dumonde, Airwave, Jamx, K90, Binary Finery, etc.).

duncvis

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2007, 07:43:03 PM »
I quite like Funker Vogt, its all a bit samey though, if you've heard three Funker tracks you've heard em all. You might want to check out Velvet Acid Christ, some of their shit is pretty acid.  8)