Author Topic: Drum & Bass Talk with Techstepgenr8tion  (Read 1570 times)

Offline techstepgenr8tion

• Frequent Poster
Drum & Bass Talk with Techstepgenr8tion
« on: September 14, 2006, 01:20:10 PM »
I'm gonna reserve some space right now just so that next time a conversation in some thread starts devolving to a drum & bass information marathon I can just say "Hey, meet me at this thread" to avoid taking whatever thread we're talking in way off point - I feel like the biggest ass when that happens.

Anyway, keep this thread in your favorites so if your looking at a thread I'm posting in and are just dying to tell me about this new Trace or Tactile dub your heard please - tell me about it here instead. As for me, if I get something I really think is worth sharing I'll bite my tongue for a second, play it a few times in the car, and post a link here if I still think it's all that. Capesh?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 01:57:06 PM by techstepgenr8tion »
Born into this world for one inherent purpose: to drop science and drop it heavy.

duncvis

Re: Drum & Bass Talk with Techstepgenr8tion
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 02:50:57 PM »
You're allowed to hijack threads here techstep...  ;D

I don't mind a bit of drum & bass myself (I don't know shit about the scene though), so owt you want to wibble on about and post a link to's fine by me...

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 02:57:49 PM »
the only drum and bass song i could name is that white stripes remix i think.   And I cant name it cause I forgot the title.

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 03:00:02 PM »
Quote from: duncvis
You're allowed to hijack threads here techstep... ;D

Lol, I'm sure that I'm allowed to but from my own personal beliefs and perspective it seems like it displays a lack of class and self-control, 2 things I at least try to pride myself on the rest of the time. Not to diss anyone one on that either though, in the end I guess this is really more about keeping me happy with myself in respect to my own conduct.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 03:02:18 PM by techstepgenr8tion »
Born into this world for one inherent purpose: to drop science and drop it heavy.

Offline Draggon

• L337 H@X0R 0V T3H @$P13 L337
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 03:53:15 PM »
so Metallica has a drum player and a bass player in the band, are they considered to be "Drum & Bass"? [/joke]

seriously are there any songs I might have heard on radio or whatever that might kinda sorta qualify as D&B?
"run with a pack, not with a herd"

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 04:04:40 PM »
so Metallica has a drum player and a bass player in the band, are they considered to be "Drum & Bass"? [/joke]

seriously are there any songs I might have heard on radio or whatever that might kinda sorta qualify as D&B?

Nah, wish I could say so. It's not really a radio-friendly genre.

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 12:39:36 AM »
BTW, I threw out a link to a mix a while back:
http://www.angeruk.net/therapy-sets/Skitty-Therapy-aug-16-06.mp3

With respect to that mix it starts off a bit exotic but it gets into some pretty sick and solid tracks - especially Aspect & Gremlinz's Kilo (that knocking on metal shit in the break especially is straight sickness). They just popped this up on DNB Arena tracklisting forums a while ago. This is a more ethnic lean on dark d&b, there's others and yeah, I'll be glad to share if I find some good sets in other directions.

outrage-amnesia- (horisenz recordings)
spirit-footprints-horseman lp- (renegade hardware)
loxy & phobia-bass riddim-?
dekota-afterlife- (osiris music)
spirit-scanners (violence)
keaton n hive-retreat- (xtinction agenda)
verse & sp-surrender- (crunch)
aspect & gremlinz-kilo- (renegade hardware)
loxy & keaton-haterz- (renegade hardware)
equinox-remember jah- (scientific wax)
black man harris-prophesy vip mix.
commix-talk to frank- (metalheadz?)
goldie-shadows(hive rmx)- (moving shadow)
friske-mathematics-?
universal project-bleach(unknown error rmx)- (up)
kryptic mindz & leon switch-hide the tears vip
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 06:33:59 AM by techstepgenr8tion »

duncvis

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 03:02:14 AM »
cheers for sharing techstep - I'll stick that on later.  8)

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 12:48:59 AM »
I remember having a mixtape from this guy back when his stuff was a lot more calm, atmospheric, and just tricky in the drumwork. Lol, really ill hard-hitter set, kinda reminds me of some of the stuff guys like Mumblz and Counterstrike have been churning out.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=79NPV0J0

01. Current Value feat. Snow - "The Power" (Section8)
02. Current Value - "60,000 Thoughts" (Soothsayer)
03. Current Value - "The Indivisible Force" (Obscene)
04. Current Value - "The Forbidden Room" (Intransigent)
05. Current Value - "Full Spectrum Warrior" (Tech Itch)
06. Current Value - "Lift Music" (unsigned)
07. Current Value - "Faith" (Freak)
08. Current Value - "Strange Peace" (Tech Itch)
09. Current Value - "Brainwash" (Evol Intent)
10. Current Value - "Tunnel Vision (Donny Remix?)" (Barcode)
11. Spektrum - "Timeline" (unsigned)
12. Current Value - "Excellence" (Algorythm)
13. Current Value - "Sphere Unknown" (unsigned)
14. Current Value - "Running" (Future Sickness)
15. Current Value - "Dark Rain" (Intransigent)
16. Axis & Trank - "The Scent (Current Value Remix)" (Guerilla)
17. Current Value - ?
18. Donny - "The Forgotten (Current Value Remix)" (Barcode)
19. B Soul - "Markus" (Barcode)
20. Spektrum - "Transmission" (Soothsayer)
21. Current Value - "Ion Storm" (Lost Soul)
22. Current Value - "Tunnel Vision" (Barcode)
23. Current Value - "Unpardonable Deeds" (Lost Soul)
24. Current Value - "Condemnation" (Future Sickness)
25. Current Value - ?
26. Current Value - "Deadly Algorythm" (unsigned)

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 11:42:53 AM »
BTW, something I never had a chance to post here - I just threw about 5 tracks up on mp3.com a couple months ago and a remix of a track done by a WP member just got posted maybe a week or so ago.

So there are 6 all in all, I'll kinda give you guys an idea on these in a nutshell as to what they're about

Compressed Reality - its hidden right now, have to click 'see more songs by' or something like that to get to it. My first track of my latest wave - probably put more work into the percussion on this than on a lot of other tracks. High energy, felt like I had a really good mood. Like almost everything its a bit progressive, the mainstream of the melodies aren't really kicking in till the second half but the warm up is still pretty good. Very dub raggae influenced and has a lot of lo-fi high-end washout just for stylizing

Watchman - 2nd track I did, has a similar root in dub reggae to Compressed Reality but more of a dark, mysterious, and foreboding track.

Transcendentalist Funk - Like the name says very jazz influenced, worked in some good melodies but like other tracks it needs a bit of EQing work and I need better reference monitors to get accurate playback.

Solar Flare - a bit harder than the other tracks, has a good degree of grime to the bassline and a lot in the way of effects. Kinda like being out in space on a ship of some type and getting hit with wave after wave of fire.

The White Rabbit - This is a track where if you've tripped a lot it might scare you. Very heavy and mood intensive, kinda based on my own experiences and yeah, I really think I could do with adding some kind off chiller wintery high-pass pad sweeps which I may do later when I re-EQ it with everything else. Out of all my works this has to be the one I'm most proud of (Compressed Reality second) in terms of really sending a mood, an idea, and doing it very effectively.

Sarah Z'Amore - Ares (5 PRYME remix)
- This is something Lemon did, I give her lots of props to - she can paint and she can definitely cook up some sick beats. This sounds almost nothing like the original and when I started this I'd just watched the two into featurettes for Battlestar Galactica so I think the energy from watching that and the whole feel of it really permeated this track. Its a bit minimal and quiet but still has a heck of an energy to it.

Anyway enough of my blahblahblahblah - here's the link

http://www.mp3.com/5pryme
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 10:10:45 AM by techstepgenr8tion »

duncvis

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 04:15:02 AM »
I got an 'invalid user' page.  ???

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 09:54:23 AM »
Oops, I think my mind was going in some weird directions. Should have been MP3.com

http://www.mp3.com/5pryme

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 12:42:14 PM »
I associate this type of music with car thieves and drug dealers, to be honest .

The_P

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 12:50:08 PM »
I associate this type of music with car thieves and drug dealers, to be honest .

And I associate this kind of attitude to stereotyping; your taste in music doesn't define who you are as a person.

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 05:42:47 PM »

Thanks... I guess....