Author Topic: Did you take your meds today?  (Read 140779 times)

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
Re: Did you take your meds today?
« Reply #7620 on: June 29, 2024, 01:10:16 AM »
oh! i have nice update!

So, something happens to me, makes me hear things and feel like nothing exists but pain -

dunno what happens but i have a really nice psychiatrist and she has worked with me and my aversion to medication, and FINALLY ive been on a good regime for several months now. i take a smallish/medium dose of an antipsychotic, and i take a chemical variant of adderall, and im good. the downside to everything is that i started vaping 1 year ago (nicotine) to deal with school shite. and recently i started vaping (THC) at night to deal with the "nothing exists but pain" sensation that comes on from school shite stress.

so school is probably not healthy for me.

but maybe i will make it.

at least, i take my proper meds everyday, and try to do less vaping when i am doing better.

i am pretty pleased with my proper regime :)

and yes, took my meds today ^_^
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7621 on: June 29, 2024, 02:20:35 AM »
Wow! It's good to see you again! :)

Did you used to smoke before you started vaping? How much school do you have left?

I hope you stay. It's fairly quiet here.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7622 on: June 29, 2024, 02:41:37 PM »
No, i had smoked years before for very short periods, mostly in the company of a girl who was not actually a very good friend lol.

I have about 2 years left, give or take. Depends on how quickly I can get through my remaining milestones. Technically, I would graduate on time in 2025, but I know it will take me at least until 2026. Had some snafus, like my former advisor abandoning me - but i have a good advisor now.

I hope i stay around! might take some breaks when I have a lot of work to do, but its nice to be back :)

Also! Took my morning meds today! Going to the pharmacy later cause i need a refill.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7623 on: June 29, 2024, 09:08:37 PM »
Reminds me of my time at uni. Instead of doing the practical unit for psychology (which scared me shitless when I saw what was involved) I opted for an independent study contract which took months to organise. Lots of writing emails to professors asking them to take me on. Finally, one said yes but I had to wait a semester. So I had six months off twiddling my thumbs. And I didn't graduate with my class.

I also need to go to the pharmacy. Need moclobemide.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7624 on: June 30, 2024, 12:40:57 AM »
made it to the pharmacy, and took my evening med!

yeah i reckon i lost about 6 months with all the stuff that went down with my former advisor. my current advisor is much better... i still struggle with her not understanding that differences in my communication, and the amount of question i ask before making a decision on something, are part of how i process the world around me. she keeps saying i have to work on "self-awareness" as if becoming "aware" of how awkward I am will suddenly make me able to be less awkward. she doesnt understand that i am well "aware" of the awkwardness, i just cant change how i fundementally connect with information or the world. i try my best to be kind and respectful, and do the little things that make people "aware" that I am listening to them and care about them, but i will always violate some rule of interaction somewhere. its inevitable.

*sigh* but at least im moving along. i dont know what kind of career i could possibly have though, unless i end up with folks who take their time to understand someone like me, as i take my time to understand them. the world of academics unfortunately does not seem to be brimming over with such people...

i've already considered that i might just go back to working at the library like i was. i cant handle the drama of being misunderstood constantly.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7625 on: July 02, 2024, 03:49:16 PM »
What is the subject you're studying? It doesn't sound easy. I've done nothing with my psychology degree, I'd have to do my Masters to get to practice but the field is extremely competitive and a lot of people would have better grades than I do. Plus...people. I'd have to do a lot of talking and that's not my strong point. I'm very blunt and to the point which many people don't like. They like fluffy language.

I'm awkward too. I know it, so I work in places I'm accepted. I envy you working in a library though I know there's still the people aspect.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7626 on: July 07, 2024, 12:12:37 AM »
i know this is going to be a shock, considering everything you know about me, but i ended up studying community psychology.

(joking about the "shock" lol)

i couldnt do clinical psychology - though i think id be pretty good working with people because i make folks laugh and make helpful observations and ask insightful questions, but i have too much fire inside of me to just work with individuals and not ask the bigger questions... and asking bigger questions can be distressing for some folks, so i'd just end up either making clients into raging activists, or making them depressed and jaded with the world...and neither are particularly good for mental health lol.

the other reason is that, clinical psychology training programs are incredibly toxic and hierarchical. community psychology still has some of those elements, but is a great deal less intense about it. graduate school in general is really hierarchical, and there is absolutely no awareness or understanding for difference/oddity (or, if there is, it is quickly negated by the clique-like pressures of bureaucratic conformity... which are largely invisible to me and a major reason why i get into so much trouble).

within psychology, my experience is that clinical folks are much more straight-laced, "playing the game", kind of fake, hyper hierarchical, and mainstream conformists. Experimental psychologists on the other hand, tend to be much more kind, open, approachable, and genuine.

Community folks are a mix..maybe closer to clinical folks except with an added righteousness and self-critical intensity.

navigating all of it is very tricky when you are chronically the odd one out, and passionate to a degree of complexity that they dont naturally engage. so i lost one mentor already. the one i have i argue with a lot just to try and get her to understand that i work differently (cause a mentor gets really up close and personal with you and can provide the wrong kind of pressure if they dont "get" how you work).

the hardest thing for me, is that my interest is so unconventional that instead of trying to understand it, they try to shut it down. so im stuck trying to figure out how to back track and do something that would seem "acceptible" to them. its an experience of being misunderstood on a very fundemental level... that even among academics who are meant to support me, they think im just wild and crazy and unfocused, and i cant help them see what i am actually trying to do. :(

the school work isn't the hardest part tbh. its all the shenanigans that i keep failing at. im surprised they haven't kicked me out, and i can barely believe that some of them actually like me because i constantly cause them all kinds of outlandish troubles.

buuuutt, we'll see if i manage to graduate.

so you are into psychology? the field needs people who are awkward - there are a lot of awkward people who would benefit from someone who could be better at sharing their perspective. i just wish the field was more supportive of folks who are different, because then i'd encourage you to pursue it because it really would be a boon to have your perspective influencing things.

im happy to hear that youve found places youre accepted though! the first such place for me was the library - i worked in the basement, sorting books. you get all the awkward types in a place like that and i made some good friends for the first time there. its like a magnet for folks like us :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 12:27:05 AM by sg1008 »

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7627 on: July 07, 2024, 12:25:36 AM »
Took my PM dose! bout to head to bed! Good night everyone! <3 <3 <3

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
« Reply #7628 on: July 07, 2024, 02:48:44 PM »
Took my titty skittles today.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7629 on: July 09, 2024, 12:46:34 AM »
Took my titty skittles today.
:D

sg - I loved clinical psychology, that unit had the most interesting lecturers and a textbook that I practically devoured. I didn't really have mentors throughout my degree, just someone I could go to if I was having trouble. In my second year I ran into trouble - I got a failing grade for an assignment where I had followed instructions to the letter. The person I went to helped me gather evidence and write an email to the head of the department stating my case. I guess she was an advocate? I'm not sure if that's the right word. Anyway, I ended up getting a Credit for my assignment from the department head and I think the tutor who gave me the original mark got into trouble.

Does Community Psychology have a Sociology aspect to it? I knew someone at uni who did Sociology and they went on and on about how boring it was. Nuh uh. Program Evaluation was boring (and the only unit I failed). The book was a cure for insomnia.

Do you also have to study statistics? I don't know how I got through those classes but I did first try. I loved qualitative statistics though. I was given Conversation Analysis to study. It wasn't easy but it was satisfying.

I have to take my afternoon dose at half past 4.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #7630 on: August 28, 2024, 12:53:42 AM »
I have discussed with different doctors and we decided against tablets/pills because there is a risk of clotting that in my case might be higher (we don't know that for sure, but other people in my family have had problems).  The risk might be lower than I thought it was before, but it's become my understanding that injections is the most cost-effective way to get me the dose I need

So I got my updated test results a few months ago and the only thing that was "off" was my estrone.  According to the doctor it's important for breast development.  So I asked her, considering I already have D cups, how likely is it really that they would get any bigger.  And she says "I don't know.  If you want to stop here we can do it, just keep going as we are," and I said, "Fuck me up, doc."

I'm now taking estradiol pills one week on and three weeks off, in addition to everything else.  Don't seem to have had any clots yet, she insists the risk is very low, so we'll see.  But everything seems fine on that front at least. 

Oh, and this thread reminded me to take my meds tonight lol. 

Student's creed: everything is due, and nothing is submitted

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #7631 on: August 28, 2024, 01:02:15 AM »
No, i had smoked years before for very short periods, mostly in the company of a girl who was not actually a very good friend lol.

Oh weird, I have had very similar experiences with smoking.  I figured I'd always be able to quit again, and then I started smoking in 2020 and kept doing it for two and a half years.  Finally quit nicotine when I moved to Detroit.  And then I kind of relapsed (nicotine only--I'm still sober) late last month after I got attacked in a park for being transgender.  I suppose I'll have to be back in Detroit to kick the habit again.

Student's creed: everything is due, and nothing is submitted

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7632 on: August 29, 2024, 01:17:20 AM »
I'm so sorry you were attacked, how awful it must have been.

This is why I worry for Kayleigh (my trans housemate) when she goes out alone. Her appearance is fine but her voice gives her away. Sometimes I've driven her places rather than have her walk there or take public transport. Ignorant people don't see anything wrong about harming others.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #7633 on: September 05, 2024, 03:12:54 PM »
I'll take my meds before group.

Yep....

*starts to take medication*

So how about that no-hitter against those Jack Sparrow look-a-likes...

*swallows*

That Hugh Jackman movie had it's good moments, yet mostly bad. The writing just kinda sucked.

I'm taking it back to the library.

This is a message board, not a ouija board  :zombiefuck:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7634 on: September 08, 2024, 02:30:30 PM »
Gawd I miss smoking.

I took my meds.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein