Educational

Author Topic: LETS DO THE FORK IN THE GARBAGE DISPOSAL.. LETS DO THE FORK IN THE GARBAGE DIS..  (Read 910 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
I don't think we have them in Australia, I have never seen a garbage disposal unit.

Yes, we do. A garbage disposal unit sits in your sink drain. I don't particularly like them. They just make tooooo much noise for me.

To me it seems they aren't very popular over here. Could be wrong but I've never seen one or known anyone with one here.

I've had several houses that had them....I just choose not to use them. I'm the same with dishwashers....I'd rather do it myself.

Not me.  I love automatic dishwashers.  They can wash a whole pile of dirty dishes while using less water than you would use doing them by hand.

I haven't liked any dishwashers that I've used; I usually end up washing dishes by hand to remove stubborn food residues after a cycle in the dishwasher.  Our current dishwasher also doesn't rinse things properly during a wash-rinse-dry cycle, so dishes remain slippery from detergent residue unless I put it onto a rinse cycle after it's already washed, rinsed and dried the dishes, and the detergent gives me dermatitis if I handle the dishes before they're properly rinsed.  We have very soft water here and we've tried using rinse-aid, but it hasn't helped.

When I was repairing our clothes washing machine, I read that nearly all modern clothes washers suck at rinsing clothes to remove detergent at the end of a wash, and that it's because they're awarded efficiency points based on how little water they use, but aren't awarded anything for how effectively they rinse, and the same thing is probably going on with dishwashers.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
I don't think we have them in Australia, I have never seen a garbage disposal unit.

Yes, we do. A garbage disposal unit sits in your sink drain. I don't particularly like them. They just make tooooo much noise for me.

To me it seems they aren't very popular over here. Could be wrong but I've never seen one or known anyone with one here.

I've had several houses that had them....I just choose not to use them. I'm the same with dishwashers....I'd rather do it myself.

Not me.  I love automatic dishwashers.  They can wash a whole pile of dirty dishes while using less water than you would use doing them by hand.

I haven't liked any dishwashers that I've used; I usually end up washing dishes by hand to remove stubborn food residues after a cycle in the dishwasher.  Our current dishwasher also doesn't rinse things properly during a wash-rinse-dry cycle, so dishes remain slippery from detergent residue unless I put it onto a rinse cycle after it's already washed, rinsed and dried the dishes, and the detergent gives me dermatitis if I handle the dishes before they're properly rinsed.  We have very soft water here and we've tried using rinse-aid, but it hasn't helped.

When I was repairing our clothes washing machine, I read that nearly all modern clothes washers suck at rinsing clothes to remove detergent at the end of a wash, and that it's because they're awarded efficiency points based on how little water they use, but aren't awarded anything for how effectively they rinse, and the same thing is probably going on with dishwashers.

That is exactly what a someone I know who fixes these things for a living told me about why the much older ones work better all the new energy codes really cut down on performance and the life of the appliance.  I hate doing dishes in the sink though but that is to related more to a bad job I had at a catering company in high school though washing the platters and serving ware for hours on end.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE

Like it. Pity it doesn't work with stoner metal--at least not for me.

IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
This is moronic as hell.

Ow wow. Like you never get silly.  ::)

Shutup bint.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
This is moronic as hell.

I disagree! Forks in garbage disposals = serious safety hazards!  :o
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
This is moronic as hell.

I disagree! Forks in garbage disposals = serious safety hazards!  :o

Yeah!  :o :o
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore

That may be why I like mine so well, then.  I have a twelve year old Maytag Jet Clean with Quiet Pack.

Also, I sometimes rinse the dishes before I load them into the dishwasher if they have something stuck on them, even though I know that probably wastes water.

Thanks for letting me know that I should try to hold onto it for as long as possible rather than replacing it.

We are thinking about replacing our countertops with granite and we could replace our dishwasher at the same time, but now I have a good reason not to.

I also have an old washing machine and dryer that clean and dry clothes very well, apparently much better than new ones would do, so I plan to keep them for as long as possible.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.

That may be why I like mine so well, then.  I have a twelve year old Maytag Jet Clean with Quiet Pack.

Also, I sometimes rinse the dishes before I load them into the dishwasher if they have something stuck on them, even though I know that probably wastes water.

Thanks for letting me know that I should try to hold onto it for as long as possible rather than replacing it.

We are thinking about replacing our countertops with granite and we could replace our dishwasher at the same time, but now I have a good reason not to.

I also have an old washing machine and dryer that clean and dry clothes very well, apparently much better than new ones would do, so I plan to keep them for as long as possible.

Sounds like my TV. It's a big, clunky old Sony Trinitron CRT from the 80s, but I haven't replaced it because there's nothing wrong with it! The colors are still beautiful, except on occasions when the cable reception is a bit "off," thus temporarily affecting the picture quality of certain channels. Meanwhile a friend of mine has a brand new TV and is having trouble already with too much green or red in the picture.

People forget.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore

Sounds like my TV. It's a big, clunky old Sony Trinitron CRT from the 80s, but I haven't replaced it because there's nothing wrong with it! The colors are still beautiful, except on occasions when the cable reception is a bit "off," thus temporarily affecting the picture quality of certain channels. Meanwhile a friend of mine has a brand new TV and is having trouble already with too much green or red in the picture.

We have an old Philips Magnavox TV in the playroom in our basement.  We moved it there when we bought a large Philips Flat TV for our family room.  The new TV went bad within a month with wide vertical multicolor stripes obscuring the picture and it was replaced by Circuit City with a new one, which has worked pretty well for years.  BTW, when I called Philips customer service about the problem with their brand new TV, they were remarkably unhelpful, other than that they confirmed that it was a hardware problem with the TV.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.

We have an old Philips Magnavox TV in the playroom in our basement.  We moved it there when we bought a large Philips Flat TV for our family room.  The new TV went bad within a month with wide vertical multicolor stripes obscuring the picture and it was replaced by Circuit City with a new one, which has worked pretty well for years.  BTW, when I called Philips customer service about the problem with their brand new TV, they were remarkably unhelpful, other than that they confirmed that it was a hardware problem with the TV.

See?! Sometimes the old stuff is better!  ;D

People forget.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye

Not always. Our 10+ year old 68cm Philips TV really started to have a blurry picture. It was really nice when we bought it. Replaced it recently with a Panasonic 50" FullHD Plasma. Man that shit is sweeeeet. Digital TV is awesome, Blueray is awesome. Built a media PC and hooked it up to it, looks awesome. PlayStation3 games look awesome on it too.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.

Not always. Our 10+ year old 68cm Philips TV really started to have a blurry picture. It was really nice when we bought it. Replaced it recently with a Panasonic 50" FullHD Plasma. Man that shit is sweeeeet. Digital TV is awesome, Blueray is awesome. Built a media PC and hooked it up to it, looks awesome. PlayStation3 games look awesome on it too.

*reaches out grasping hands* ...Miiiiiiine... :P

People forget.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore

That's the size and age of our Philips as well (27 inches).  It still works fine, though.  Our daughter goes to her playroom to watch the Disney Channel on it if her dad and I are watching something that doesn't interest her on the TV in the family room and sometimes I watch it if I am cutting out a pattern on the table we have down there.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye

That's the size and age of our Philips as well (27 inches).  It still works fine, though.  Our daughter goes to her playroom to watch the Disney Channel on it if her dad and I are watching something that doesn't interest her on the TV in the family room and sometimes I watch it if I am cutting out a pattern on the table we have down there.

We gave our to friends who had a smaller TV than that. We had no room anywhere else for it anyway.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
My sig other and I trade off: She has a plasma (full on digital 1 yr old) and I have cable (basic).  We even still use a VCR. How XXth cent. is THAT? And no I can't be arsed to explain why no DVR or TiVo. Shortest possible answer: $
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.