Author Topic: Europe and privacy rights  (Read 486 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Europe and privacy rights
« on: March 08, 2010, 04:04:59 PM »
They seem very strange to me in the US for example goggle streetview is very opposed by many and even the governments 

Street View has been controversial and unpopular with residents in some countries but mostly with the EU and European governments, which want Google to reduce the amount of time it retains Street View images (and other data). According to Bloomberg:

Mirco chiping trash cans to monitor waste

A survey by Big Brother Watch found the number of councils installing microchips in rubbish bins has increased by nearly two thirds in a year.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100305/tuk-councils-accused-over-big-brother-bi-45dbed5.html

There is also the fact that the UK has a very extensive CCTV and facial recognition system

It just seems strange nobody care much about streetview here but if you tried the others there would be a great outcry. Almost every street in my town is on streetview the images are over two years old so what.  I personally like it in the fact that I as a contractor can see the houses that I get calls about and at least have a rough idea what to expect
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Europe and privacy rights
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 04:06:55 PM »
streetview doesn't bother me

CCTV cameras don't bother me either. i'm glad we have so many actually. peopl complain about themtoo much

i find the american gun thing weird as a european

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 04:14:58 PM »
streetview doesn't bother me

CCTV cameras don't bother me either. i'm glad we have so many actually. peopl complain about themtoo much

i find the american gun thing weird as a european

Guns are fun like fireworks you just have to know how to use them

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 04:18:47 PM »
I think it's not so much the case that Europeans oppose Google streetview while approving of bin microchipping and public surveilence, and more the case that we don't like any of it, but feel powerless to stop the government intrusions, so we focus on battles that we at least have some chance of winning, like Google streetview.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 04:23:08 PM »
I think it's not so much the case that Europeans oppose Google streetview while approving of bin microchipping and public surveilence, and more the case that we don't like any of it, but feel powerless to stop the government intrusions, so we focus on battles that we at least have some chance of winning, like Google streetview.

Somebody came up the idea and the people there allowed it to be implemented

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 05:04:55 PM »

UK politicians seem to have significant authoritarian leanings, little Hitlers abound in local government and the general public are too mild-mannered for their own good and too trusting of authority.  There's also a large, politically active crowd of 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear', 'send the immigrants back', 'lets all live in a police state' types here, and government at a national and local level tends to be swayed by whoever has the biggest bug up their arse. 

A lot of people might accept the privacy intrusions in the same way little Jimmy accepts that daddy has to apply the medicated ointment to his anus and rub it in with his cock each Wednesday evening while mum is away.  We've been told over and over again that the CCTV, speed cameras, face recognition, deep packet inspection etc is making us safer and improving our lives, and that it's for our own good, even if we don't enjoy it.  Most people seem to believe it, or only have occasional doubts that a particular speed trap is more for collecting fines than promoting safety, and don't question the function or efficacy of the rapidly expanding surveillance system as a whole, or recognise the danger that it poses.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Scrapheap

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 05:10:11 PM »
I'm beginning to see why it took an Englishman by the name of Eric Blair to write a book about government surveilence called... 1984.  :o :o :o

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 05:11:37 PM »

UK politicians seem to have significant authoritarian leanings, little Hitlers abound in local government and the general public are too mild-mannered for their own good and too trusting of authority.  There's also a large, politically active crowd of 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear', 'send the immigrants back', 'lets all live in a police state' types here, and government at a national and local level tends to be swayed by whoever has the biggest bug up their arse. 

A lot of people might accept the privacy intrusions in the same way little Jimmy accepts that daddy has to apply the medicated ointment to his anus and rub it in with his cock each Wednesday evening while mum is away.  We've been told over and over again that the CCTV, speed cameras, face recognition, deep packet inspection etc is making us safer and improving our lives, and that it's for our own good, even if we don't enjoy it.  Most people seem to believe it, or only have occasional doubts that a particular speed trap is more for collecting fines than promoting safety, and don't question the function or efficacy of the rapidly expanding surveillance system as a whole, or recognise the danger that it poses.

Good comparison  :plus:

We have them here too but there are many against it all also and they put money into fighting it on both sides of the political spectrum

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 05:20:06 PM »
i don't give a shit if there's a cctv camera on me when i'm in public... i'm in public

if the government were putting cameras in my bedroom then maybe i would have a problem

the pros outweigh the cons imo - cctv cameras are useful

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 05:27:43 PM »
Then post live feeds to them like they do here with the highway cameras near me they don't give out tickets or have facial recognition. I don't like them but they pale in comparison to what is in the UK.  This whole notion of if you have nothing to hide it shouldn't bother you disturbs me
http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=2354&Q=290242

George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 05:29:49 PM »
With the safety footage, we also got the obligation to be able to identify ourselves. Carrying an ID was not needed for the 'regular' citizenl here till 2005.

So, last week, during elections, a nearly 100 year old man was sent away, because he did not have a valid ID on him.

We managed OK without the duty to carry an ID till 2005. No problem at all. Now some cops will even fine someone without an ID in his pocket, if he stands in front of his own house.

The fear of terrorism is used to implement lots of controlling things.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 05:32:43 PM »
i have an app on my ipod that lets you watch live cameras from all over the place. there are loads of american ones

it's not that you shouldn't be bothered if you have nothing to hide - it's more that you should be aware that you're in public anyway. ie, if you're not comfortable with someone watching you, why are you doing it in public? whenever i go out i'm aware that i'm in public

having said that tho i am a weird example as i've always had a feel like there's cameras following me wherever i go, even when i was a kid... so i'm used to it now :P

doesn't bother me tho

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 05:34:09 PM »
With the safety footage, we also got the obligation to be able to identify ourselves. Carrying an ID was not needed for the 'regular' citizenl here till 2005.

So, last week, during elections, a nearly 100 year old man was sent away, because he did not have a valid ID on him.

We managed OK without the duty to carry an ID till 2005. No problem at all. Now some cops will even fine someone without an ID in his pocket, if he stands in front of his own house.

The fear of terrorism is used to implement lots of controlling things.

By power hungry people

Unless I am driving or doing something like taking money out of the bank or something that needs it I still don't have to carry an ID.  I even leave my license in the car most of the time

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 05:36:42 PM »
i have an app on my ipod that lets you watch live cameras from all over the place. there are loads of american ones

it's not that you shouldn't be bothered if you have nothing to hide - it's more that you should be aware that you're in public anyway. ie, if you're not comfortable with someone watching you, why are you doing it in public? whenever i go out i'm aware that i'm in public

having said that tho i am a weird example as i've always had a feel like there's cameras following me wherever i go, even when i was a kid... so i'm used to it now :P

doesn't bother me tho

As soon as they became cheep I assumed that also.  I am not comfortable with it at all though having the government watch me bothers me even more

George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 05:38:05 PM »

doesn't bother me tho

I don't mind being seen, I do not really mind to be filmed (stuff has to be deleted after 24 hours too, I think, unless a crime has happened). But I do mind the playing on the fear factor. Society is getting less friendly, because of the continuously being warned on how dangerous it is.

WTF, no-body warns that much on how dangerous it is to partake in traffic. Chance that you get hit by a car is a lot bigger than that there is a terrorist trying to blow up a bridge or so. I find the implementing of fear in society a very dangerous thing.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!